• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What compliments did you recieve today?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
"You pull off my skinny jeans really fast!"

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
a really odd one the other day. waiting to cross the street, wearing white w/red-blue check shirt, navy prince of wales trousers, burgundy Church's loafers, burgundy braces and the guy next to me says "I like your look", the guy being a huge 300 lb Middle Eastern/swarthy looking fella wearing nylon running shorts, tshirt and sneakers.

Don't blow Jet off next time, he was only trying to be nice!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
**** you blew my cover.

ChampdeMars

Reaction score
How do you guys react to the "oh, do you guys have this in a size...etc" from another customer at the store you shop at? I kinda consider it a compliment.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChampdeMars
How do you guys react to the "oh, do you guys have this in a size...etc" from another customer at the store you shop at? I kinda consider it a compliment.

Do you consider being a sales assistant at whatever store you shop at a good thing or a bad thing?

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pcl
Good God .... the number of narcissistic navel gazing threads on this forum recently .... how old are you people? how much time do you spend in front of a mirror everyday admiring yourself and woe be the world that just isn't sophisticated enough to understand?

Thank you - I couldn't have said it better. Clearly, there is more to life than thriving upon what others say about your clothes. FFS, grow up!!

At the end of the day, people should just wear what they like and are comfortable wearing. They should avoid being Mr Sophistication, as it is not becoming of those who aren't. Most of all, if people dressed age appropriately rather than dressing to a perceived code or the current fashion, I am sure that all would far happier.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Murray
Most of all, if people dressed age appropriately rather than dressing to a perceived code or the current fashion, I am sure that all would far happier.

I don't think many people would be happy sacrificing any of their personal style for the sake of looking 'age appropriate', I sure as well wouldn't. I'm also not sure what you mean by dressing to a "perceived code", if you're talking about people dressing in a personal style of their making, I don't see what the problem is. As for dressing in the "current fashion", if you're referring to trends, it's inevitable that people will hop on trends but for the most part people here aren't like that.

ChampdeMars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Do you consider being a sales assistant at whatever store you shop at a good thing or a bad thing?
Well given my young age, the clothes my friends usually wear (hollister,abercrombie, etc), and the fairly well dressed sales assistants, I think it's a good thing. I could see how it would be insinuating a bad thing for the well dressed sf'er though.

MortyGras

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Murray
Thank you - I couldn't have said it better. Clearly, there is more to life than thriving upon what others say about your clothes. FFS, grow up!!

At the end of the day, people should just wear what they like and are comfortable wearing. They should avoid being Mr Sophistication, as it is not becoming of those who aren't. Most of all, if people dressed age appropriately rather than dressing to a perceived code or the current fashion, I am sure that all would far happier.

Someone didn't get a compliment today?
frown.gif

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChampdeMars
Well given my young age, the clothes my friends usually wear (hollister,abercrombie, etc), and the fairly well dressed sales assistants, I think it's a good thing. I could see how it would be insinuating a bad thing for the well dressed sf'er though.

Ok I guess the real question is, what store?

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MortyGras
Someone didn't get a compliment today?
frown.gif

Rarely do.....

Although, I note that alot of posters get compliments all the time from the fairer sex. Ahhh, the beauty of the internet.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I'm really sad in the direction the thread went. I wanted a light hearted humorous thread about the positive reactions that people get from the public about their outfits. I thought that would be obvious in the title, but I guess not. Too much on SF I hear about members being made fun of for their clothing, tight jeans, etc. and I started to wonder "Do these people actually dress well? Do they even get any compliments at all or are they just ridiculed all the time?" Because, the way I saw it, it was either that a.) people just joke about it or b.) a lot of members honestly don't get compliments. And I don't mean this as an insult. I thought the point about Styleforum, for many new members, is to improve upon their "style" or grow into one. So to me, it's perplexing that there's so many members that go out and spend hundreds of dollars on expensive clothing that no one notices. I am generalizing here, but if someone is "improving" their wardrobe I would think that at least someone in real life would actually notice and give a sincere, genuine compliment instead of a bunch of strangers over the internet. A lot of the replies had made me think, well, maybe there are a lot of people who think they're improving their style but all they're really doing is buying more expensive **** and not knowing how to wear it. And no, I am not saying that "style" is only validated by compliments. But man, like I said, someone discovers SF, goes out and spends $1000+ on new clothes that no one except people on the internet even notice? That strikes me as sad in a way. A lot of SF's aesthetic is pretty conservative and isn't so far out there that the general public would be shocked by it. In fact, I thought the whole point was to to focus on very basic concepts (fit, colors, layering, etc). It's like someone tries to lose weight by dieting and going on a dieting forum to learn about it but no one in their life notices. That just seems to strike me as "that person is doing something wrong". I am, of course, mostly saying this from personal experience. I wore pretty generic stuff, and clothing was never a concern to me. But it became one, and I actually wanted to look presentable. Not for other people, but for myself because I thought I dressed like crap and could never understand why when I looked at some pictures that some people just looked good and I didn't no matter how much I tried to replicate it (ughh, nasty fitting blazers galore). And once I started paying attention to fit, and trying to think outside the box, getting more information, etc I noticed that other people noticed too. And no, I'm not trying to proclaim myself as some amazing style god. I'm the peasant status to the typical SF peasant status but I figured that if people complimented me, then I started to wonder about how people reacted to members that I consider well dressed. Which was, once again one of the reasons why I started the thread because I wanted to hear responses from some of the more prominent and well regarded members in terms of dress. Like this, this is exactly what I was curious about.
Originally Posted by Get Smart
a really odd one the other day. waiting to cross the street, wearing white w/red-blue check shirt, navy prince of wales trousers, burgundy Church's loafers, burgundy braces and the guy next to me says "I like your look", the guy being a huge 300 lb Middle Eastern/swarthy looking fella wearing nylon running shorts, tshirt and sneakers. I say "thanks man" and he says something to the effect of "you don't see anyone with personal style anymore but you got it going on". flattering, if not a bit surreal.
A genuine compliment. Being asked if your shirt was expensive is not a compliment, being told "you have personal style" from someone who is average in terms of dress is. I don't consider myself having personal style (my wardrobe is in it's infancy stage, IMO) and if someone said that to me, I don't know how flattered I would be. But in GS's case it rings true because I also thinks he has personal style, something that is his own & a part of him, it's just flattering that someone else thought so too. I also was curious to see 1.) What type of clothing gets compliment (shoes? jackets? shirts?) 2.) What the compliments themselves actually were, and the context 3.) The correlation between how many compliments a garment gets and it's price/"SF-approval" (in my experiences, none) 4.) Who gave the compliment 5.) Why some people give the compliments they do (is it because I actually dressed well? Or because the sole fact that I am "dressed-up" not that it looks good, or the brands I'm wearing, or how I wear it? or maybe they don't really mean it as a compliment and have some other meaning behind it and so on) etc. I wanted to generate discussion about such things because well, I wanted to see if some members were actually developing a sense of personal style, taste, eye, etc or if they were just jumping in on forum groupthink and still looked pretty terrible/average (even in the minds of the average dresser). I'm sad that the heart of the discussion, or at least what I thought it would kind of develop into (as I would shift the direction of the thread into that direction) didn't pan out as I thought. I'm also sad by this moral crusade of members like Murray and others that turned the thread into a direction of "Omg I don't need complimentz, ur all loserz who need validation lol I only dress for myself blah blah I'm comfortable blah blah!" What I did not expect was how hostile some members would to the very thought of receiving a compliment, or worse, talking about it. I still don't understand how people think like this. Maybe I could see how people could think I'm bragging in the first post but I wasn't trying to but I'm done with that because it's a lose situation no matter how I respond (deny? yeah right, just adds more fuel to the flames). And, and by the way, see that? Yeah, an eye sore. I admit, my posts can turn into long nonsensical rants but it's almost 4 am and I tried to cover as many points as thoroughly as I could so people won't draw some kind of bullshit message from my posts that I didn't intend at all (and they'll probably do that with this too). This is also the EXACT kind of post I wanted to avoid in the opening post because, yeah, all my threads start with posts like this and I'm tired of typing out so much. But I guess no one gives the benefit of the doubt anymore, and some people are just cynical and are always convinced of some terrible intention behind every post, I just wanted to be less long winded and be a little tongue in cheek. So, um, yeah. This was a bit all over the place but if you understood at least half of what I was trying to say then that's good enough.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good point lel if you really improve your style you should look better and people should notice. the only narcissistic navel gazing threads i see are mainly the ones of people talking about their new fancy designer purchase that is solely for their internet friends (i post stuff like this too hehe, but if you are on a styleforum you must have some degree of vanity)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads