• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What compliments did you recieve today?

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
I was walking around Urban Outfitters today browsing their sale, and noticed out of the corner of my eye some girl pointing in my direction, particaularly at my shoes, and talking to her boyfriend. We ended up closer to each other and noticed her blatantly pointing out my shoes and I gave her a smile with a "what the f*ck" look, and she giggled and said "Oh sorry, I'm just showing him what to shoot for".

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
At the risk of soundin like a prick, I've rarely seen anyone worthy of compliment around here.

It seems like most of the people who compliment me (usually "you smell nice or nice pants") are those who sell stuff. People from school or even my friends don't really say much.

You do sound like a prick, but you smell nice, so I'll let it slide.

Kill_switch

Reaction score
After skimming this thread I feel that Lel, you are insecure and over think everything because it seems you wish to keep SF-approved aesthetic while still generally fitting in with society. Your smug attitude is really quite annoying.

Also, I've gotten like 40 compliments on my watch throughout the year, just a Seiko I've had since I was like 11.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill_switch
After skimming this thread I feel that Lel, you are insecure and over think everything because it seems you wish to keep SF-approved aesthetic while still generally fitting in with society. Your smug attitude is really quite annoying.

Also, I've gotten like 40 compliments on my watch throughout the year, just a Seiko I've had since I was like 11.

I don't really see the insecurity/smugness... he just seems to be curious as to what other people's experiences/interactions with other people are (concerning their clothing)

sartre864

Reaction score
A girl at Vineyard Vines told me how well I wore the "StyleForum uniform," making certain to mention that it looks infiitely better on Connecticut WASPs than Los Angeles hipsters and midwestern farmboys.

aerether

Reaction score
At work I was asked if my Uniqlo OCBD was from BoO.

Naturally, this raises the question "HOW CAN I TAILOR UNIQLO TO FIT LIKE BOO TIA."

EDIT: I take this as a compliment because apparently I can spend $30 to have a similar fit that I would get with a $200 shirt so it totally counts maybe.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is kind of pathetic.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
"nice ass!"

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day.

"Wow, you look like a gay cowboy."

From my entire family.

Wearing brown cowboy boots, Levi's 514's, a red and white western shirt, and a camera bag slung over my shoulder (my 'purse').

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some older guy at pitchfork wearing Albam selvage jeans and and desert boots at Pitchfork today (yesterday?) said he liked my PS Corso's. Didn't want to ask if he was from SF. Reveal yourself!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
The other day. "Wow, you look like a gay cowboy." From my entire family. Wearing brown cowboy boots, Levi's 514's, a red and white western shirt, and a camera bag slung over my shoulder (my 'purse').
Hey Brokeback

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill_switch
After skimming this thread I feel that Lel, you are insecure and over think everything because it seems you wish to keep SF-approved aesthetic while still generally fitting in with society. Your smug attitude is really quite annoying. Also, I've gotten like 40 compliments on my watch throughout the year, just a Seiko I've had since I was like 11.
I didn't realize they were mutually exclusive. Says more about you than me really... EDIT: Btw, what's with people trash talking the concept of the thread then going around and talking about the compliments they receive? Genuinely curious because I thought it was obvious from the title that I was jabbing at the concept of WAYWT (strange men over the internet giving you compliments) yet the idea of people outside of SF complimenting a person sparks controversy. Why is this? Also, I'm kind of interested why SW&D seems to respond to the idea in a hostile manner compared to MC. 1 2 3? I'm sure that MC is on average, much more dressed up than SW&D and most people are more easily recognize "nice clothes" as a good outfit and be more inclined to give a compliment than someone who just "looks nice". Which makes me think, I guess most people are complimenting the clothes and assume they are expensive/is a prestigious brand instead of the outfit itself and the person who is wearing it. Who knows. But that's one reason I kind of remember the train ticket girl compliment so much because everyone in the station wears a mandatory suit & tie dress code, so it's probably more has to do with the way I chose to style my suit/the way it fit as opposed to the simple fact of me being dressed up. Or maybe not, who knows.
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
At the risk of soundin like a prick, I've rarely seen anyone worthy of compliment around here.
It's just, but perhaps the SF user, on average, is a bit pickier about clothing while other people would be more easily impressed by brand names. To be fair though, I wouldn't compliment myself either on the way I dressed if I saw myself walking down the street. Though I have seen people around who were generally really nicely dressed but there was just simply no way for me to approach them to tell them so without making it awkward (that is, if I wanted to compliment someone).

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
"nice ass!"
I've gotten "what an ass", but I didn't know in which context. I get the most amount of compliments on my Salt sunglasses

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads