• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color sofa with dark hardwood?

canbc

Reaction score
I'm sofa shopping for my new place and not sure what color to go for. I've attached a picture of the living room area. All the walls are off-white except for the one wall that is purple-gray. I've always liked simple black leather couches but I'm worried it's going to make the space too dark. White leather looks high maintenance. Maybe cream would look good? Not sure how light-colored leather or fabric will hold up over time. Ideas?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black leather and chorme sofa with tasteful colored throw, and acessory furniture/chairs that are lighter in color and visual weight.

The huge wall of windows really helps with the darker stain floor.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Robertito

Reaction score
Beautiful room. I personally think the charcoal would be too dark; an ecru or cream sofa with stainless steel legs would look lighter and complement the space in a more welcoming manner. I'm thinking of a shade halfway between the lighter wall color and the ceiling color.

canbc

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions so far. It's interesting that the opinions have been quite varied. Maybe that means either light or dark furniture could work? I think dark would be more lounge-y and cozy? While a light cream would be more welcoming and comfortable? Or maybe it doesn't make a big difference at all.

It's not a large space so I'd probably prefer it to look as open as possible.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wha? I think I know that building?! Toronto, no? I'd suggest something in the related brown family, like a khakie or beige color. Light enough to "pop", then pic 1-2 accent colors that blend everything together. I like green accents, fairly gender neutral. Plus put in some green plants as well.
cream_couch.jpg
http://images.crateandbarrel.com/is/...reen2x3S9?$lg$ + http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:f...6/DiefAmoe.jpg OR you could do navy and burgandy.
DashCrimsonScatter440x440_lg.jpg
+
FrenchNavyPillow350x570.jpg
Heck, even orange/brown could work.
%7BD516FB59-06EF-41AE-8863-96C5622023CC%7D.jpg

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by canbc
I'm sofa shopping for my new place and not sure what color to go for. I've attached a picture of the living room area. All the walls are off-white except for the one wall that is purple-gray. I've always liked simple black leather couches but I'm worried it's going to make the space too dark. White leather looks high maintenance. Maybe cream would look good? Not sure how light-colored leather or fabric will hold up over time. Ideas?

Baseboard heaters?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by canbc

Is that place in Brickell? It looks like some units I had seen in Miami.

I like the accent wall, BTW. I would avoid a black sofa, and go with something lighter. Cream would work, but would be on the boring side. I like the green idea, if you can find the right green. White would also work, but I'm not a fan of white leather.

bkk

Reaction score
Black = a very dark room and very boring. I like the idea of a cream color to liven things up. At least throw something in there to spice things up.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool windows with potential. Toronto or Vancouver?

The McMansion Espresso Palette has got to go. Paint the walls a greyed turquoise or something. Then get a couch.

Stedye

Reaction score
A lighter color will give a sense of spaciousness and contrast well with the darker color. Colors such as Beige, Cream,Champagne,or natural. Get several swatches and bring put them on the floor like the
photo in the post, if available, take a sample of the wood flooring to storeb with you.

Petrolhead

Reaction score
first of all, if you're looking for modern style, paint that brown wall grey or white. I'd go with white, since it's facing the kitchen. And all the walls white.

then, you can risk white leather or fabric, it will balance the dark tone of the floor, that has a lot of chromatic load. It's really very strong. However, it won't ruin a black/white setup if you include very few dark wood (real wood) items.

Brown is 90´s colour, you should go with a more monochromatic/neutral setup.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads