• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what can you "afford" to spend?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from another thread:
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Afford is probably a week's salary after tax or thereabouts.
I've always wondered how people define "afford" in the context of a statement like "only buy what you can afford". off the cuff, 1 week of salary after taxes, seems like a lot for a purchase of shoes (that was the context of the above) that means somebody making $100k a year can afford $1,000 shoes. in a strict sense that is probably true, but my guess is that the average salary of someone spending $1k on shoes is more likely to be making $200k+ of course other variables play in to this. some people like food, others cars, others random expensive hobby X, and all of this needs to be budgeted in to total annual spend. but if you could generalize, how do you define "afford". what % of your salary do you think is about right to spend on shoes, shirts, suits, watches, etc? (it's not my intent at all to figure out what people make, and I don't want this thread to become that)

in fits of print

Reaction score
A week's pay after taxes sounds like about the most I ever spend on clothes in a given month. I'm in an entry-level position though, and there's no reason to think that my clothing budget will increase in direct relation to my salary.

The first reason is that by the time someone is making 100k a year, chances are they have a pretty decent wardrobe already, and that a person's appetite for clothing isn't (or at least shouldn't be) infinite.

The second is that past a certain point, the money you spend on a given item brings diminishing returns. A $10,000 suit is not ten times as good as a $1,000 suit. A person needs to get exponentionally, not proportionally, richer to justify that kind of extravagance.

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
I define "afford" by using a budget that I create beginning of each year. I have a predictable monthly income, so it's easy for me. I allocate the income each month for housing, food, school loans, athletics, professional association dues, entertainment, charity, going out on weekends, savings, and clothing among many other things. And it's all those discretionary things that battle with each other for the surplus: savings, entertainment, clothing, etc. I pick a number I'm comfortable with for each of these, and that guides me through the rest of the year. I know exactly what I've spent on each of these categories per year for the past 3 years, so I have a baseline of what's reasonable for me. I know I can "afford" to spend a lot more on clothes, but that would mean I could no longer "afford" to save as much as I'm doing per month right now. I also have the spreadsheet set up to tell me what % of my income is being spent on major categories, and I can compare this to national averages. That gives me some reassurance that I'm not doing something insane.

It's all quite nerdy, but it helped me get out of a lot of credit card debt and is keeping me in check.

So yeah: an excel spreadsheet that's designed to help me reach financial goals for the upcoming year tells me how much I can afford to spend on clothes per month.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
I'm a uni student so I'm obviously not wealthy at all, however I'm not stupid and don't waste my money of crap. (Most of it goes to text books
frown.gif
, however I do spent large amounts on clothes, massive relative to my income. At no stage have I been in debt as a result. I guess I save for those things I like. Once everything's said and done I will have prob spent $1000 on the latest pair of shoes I'm commissioning. So for me, to afford something, it shouldn't impact on necessary purchases i.e. food, txt books, and also not send me into debt.

in fits of print

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
I'm a uni student so I'm obviously not wealthy at all, however I'm not stupid and don't waste my money of crap. (Most of it goes to text books
frown.gif
, however I do spent large amounts on clothes, massive relative to my income. At no stage have I been in debt as a result. I guess I save for those things I like. Once everything's said and done I will have prob spent $1000 on the latest pair of shoes I'm commissioning.

I guess this still leaves open how long you've been saving for them, and therefore what percentage of your salary gets spent on shoes, but no figures I could dream up would make this not sound insane.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
i also live at home, so overheads are very little, i have no family to support. i save and i dont go out drinking very often (you'd be surprised how much you save when you dont drink!)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
According to Visa, I can afford anything.

According to your actual Visa account, I will guess no more than $25,000. Unless of course, you're big time.

dhaller

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that if you surveyed people who buy $1000 shoes, they're more likely to make $60,000/year than $200,000/year.

DH

Lowndes

Reaction score
Well, I define it to as (1) I have to have the money to pay for it. I don't buy clothes if I am unable to pay for it that month. (2) The cost of the item can't be so high as to take out the enjoyment of wearing it. This sort of goes to (1) but there still are things that I could afford to buy but are so costly that I think I would remember the cost of the item too much to really enjoy it.

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhaller
I'd be willing to bet that if you surveyed people who buy $1000 shoes, they're more likely to make $60,000/year than $200,000/year.

DH

I'd take that bet.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in fits of print
I guess this still leaves open how long you've been saving for them, and therefore what percentage of your salary gets spent on shoes, but no figures I could dream up would make this not sound insane.

IMO a lot of the math gets difficult for uni students - they sometimes have very streaky cash flow, and honestly, there's a lot of students (especially grad students/law students) on these boards & other similar.

That said, I think there's nothing unreasonable about what he's doing - if he's not going into debt, saving, say, his Christmas money along with whatever he can per month, and so on, it seems pretty likely he could amass that much. Lots of kids do it for cars or computers, no reason for clothing to be any different if that happens to be your particular hobby. And yes, it's amazing how much you save when you don't drink! Noticed that markedly when I went to law school and more or less cut back on drinking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads