• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is an awful name for a bar. Does it have a laundromat like theme inside?

It's in Chinatown, so it's possible that the building used to house a Hop Sing Laundromat. Or it's just a ridiculous name for a bar in Chinatown.

But the story behind it is even more ridiculous. It's apparently owned by some mysterious fellow whom we only know as Mr. Lee, who bought the space and promised a mind-blowing cocktail bar but spent years and years developing it, delaying the bar's opening while perfecting his shtick by traveling around the world. Sounds like a bunch of gimmicky b.s. But it finally opened and apparently it serves good cocktails.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gin and Tonic. Being out of my cheap gin, I was adventurous and bought the Seagrams Distiller's reserve. Actually at navy proof, and actually not awful.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Redbreast 12, from a bottle my girlfriend bought at the duty free shop flying out of Dublin. I really like this stuff.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Oh, I've heard of Chifa! It's one of the restaurants owned by one of the Philly restaurant magnates, right? There are three or four of them, IIRC -- Vetri the best known, I suppose (the one I remember anyway).

I have been to Southwark, Kip (I can't forget his name since he had an excellent beard and his tie had large K's all over it) made me an excellent Vieux Carre. They had an amazing gin and rye selection.

The Franklin is probably my second-favorite bar in the U.S. Cocktail places can jump the shark a bit, but they keep it real. When I went there their bartender Nick was reigning over the bar -- dude was really excellent. I think he is now at Clover Club in Brooklyn.

I've been waiting for Hop Sing for what seems like a year now; have tried to go there twice idiotically thinking they would be open. Someone just told me like two days ago that it actually is open, so I am excited to try it -- I expect to be there in October.

That is an awful name for a bar. Does it have a laundromat like theme inside?

Quote:
It's in Chinatown, so it's possible that the building used to house a Hop Sing Laundromat. Or it's just a ridiculous name for a bar in Chinatown.

But the story behind it is even more ridiculous. It's apparently owned by some mysterious fellow whom we only know as Mr. Lee, who bought the space and promised a mind-blowing cocktail bar but spent years and years developing it, delaying the bar's opening while perfecting his shtick by traveling around the world. Sounds like a bunch of gimmicky b.s. But it finally opened and apparently it serves good cocktails.

No, you guys are just not old enough (not a criticism) to get the joke. It is a joke. I apparently am like three degrees from this Lee fellow two different ways. I hear enough to be intrigued. Since I, basically, go to cocktails bars around the country for fun, I think that's a really good way to learn a lot.

~ H

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yes, Chifa is one of Jose Garces's places. I'm a bit tired of Garces restaurants, but I still like stepping into Chifa for a drink or two and some pork belly buns.

Kip is awesome. I've never been a real regular at Southwark, and I haven't been in months, but there was a time when Kip recognized me and knew that it was my favorite bar in Philly.

I googled Hop Sing. You're right--I'm a bit too young to appreciate the Bonanza reference.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We had a nice bottle of southern Rhone for dinner then I made a cocktail I can't remember the name of. Just wanted to try something with Benedictine:

1 part gin
.75 part dry vermouth
.25 part Benedictine
dash of orange bitters

It as okay. Meh.

Now I made a Piob sized dirty martini with Tanqueray and Noilly Prat.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had a nice bottle of southern Rhone for dinner then I made a cocktail I can't remember the name of. Just wanted to try something with Benedictine:
1 part gin
.75 part dry vermouth
.25 part Benedictine
dash of orange bitters
It as okay. Meh.
Now I made a Piob sized dirty martini with Tanqueray and Noilly Prat.
Just enjoy, my friend :)

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White Lady

1 part gin
.75 part Triple Sec
.5 part lemon juice

It's not bad, maybe a little sweet.

Does someone have some good cocktails with Bénédictine? Don't have Cognac, Rye or Vodka at the moment.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

White Lady
1 part gin
.75 part Triple Sec
.5 part lemon juice
It's not bad, maybe a little sweet.
Does someone have some good cocktails with Bénédictine? Don't have Cognac, Rye or Vodka at the moment.

I always make my white ladies as 2:1:1. Equal parts triple sec and lemon juice should make it a little drier. You could also add orange bitters for a result that's a fair bit drier, though that's nowhere in any real recipe for it I've seen.

Benedictine? Gin, Lemon juice, Benedictine and (optional) bitters is good. I sometimes make it as a long drink too, just adding seltzer.

You should buy an inexpensive brandy though, most cocktails with Benedictine seem to be old New Orleans affairs. Lots of brandy and rye.

For a lower alcohol drink, the Chrysanthemum used to be fairly popular on international waters. It was the signature drink of the S.S. Europa, and during Prohibition, hosted a lot of Americans going to europe to drink and vacation.

3 dashes absinthe
1 part Benedictine
2 parts Dry Vermouth.

It's floral, and sweet, but not too sweet, and has that great licorice note coming through from the absinthe.

And I almost forgot about one of my absolute favorites, the Bobby Burns.

1.5 measures scotch (make it smoky- Teachers works really well)
.75 measure sweet vermouth
.25 measure Benedictine.
Squeeze lemon twist over the drink, but don't add (I usually ignore this)

I typically lower the sweet vermouth and up the Benedictine, often to equal measures (at half a measure each) of both. Just because Benedictine is tasty.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always make my white ladies as 2:1:1. Equal parts triple sec and lemon juice should make it a little drier. You could also add orange bitters for a result that's a fair bit drier, though that's nowhere in any real recipe for it I've seen.
Benedictine? Gin, Lemon juice, Benedictine and (optional) bitters is good. I sometimes make it as a long drink too, just adding seltzer.
You should buy an inexpensive brandy though, most cocktails with Benedictine seem to be old New Orleans affairs. Lots of brandy and rye.
For a lower alcohol drink, the Chrysanthemum used to be fairly popular on international waters. It was the signature drink of the S.S. Europa, and during Prohibition, hosted a lot of Americans going to europe to drink and vacation.
3 dashes absinthe
1 part Benedictine
2 parts Dry Vermouth.
It's floral, and sweet, but not too sweet, and has that great licorice note coming through from the absinthe.
And I almost forgot about one of my absolute favorites, the Bobby Burns.
1.5 measures scotch (make it smoky- Teachers works really well)
.75 measure sweet vermouth
.25 measure Benedictine.
Squeeze lemon twist over the drink, but don't add (I usually ignore this)
I typically lower the sweet vermouth and up the Benedictine, often to equal measures (at half a measure each) of both. Just because Benedictine is tasty.

Thanks. I've had the Bobby Burns, but it doesn't stand against a Blood & Sand. ;)

The White Lady recipe is from the IBA. I'll try it with 2:1:1 again.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of fruit today, Rum Sour Triobar

6 cl Old Monk 7
6 cl fresh pinapple juice
5 cl fresh lime juice
2 cl simple sirup

Old monk is delicious and I love the foam this drink develops while shaken, even without egg white in it.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yes, Chifa is one of Jose Garces's places. I'm a bit tired of Garces restaurants, but I still like stepping into Chifa for a drink or two and some pork belly buns.

Kip is awesome. I've never been a real regular at Southwark, and I haven't been in months, but there was a time when Kip recognized me and knew that it was my favorite bar in Philly.

I googled Hop Sing. You're right--I'm a bit too young to appreciate the Bonanza reference.
Garces, right. And yes, Kip did seem pretty great. I could be a regular if I lived there. The bar has a good vibe.

Tonight:

Pastis, a Martini, and a Tuxedo.

A nice progression. I might do Martini, Tuxedo, Pastis, but its all good.

~ H

MarcInDentonTx

Reaction score
Hendrick's ..... very cold. Very dry. Olives.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrlenzi