• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Gift Etiquette

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$200 per person probably covers your dinner in NYC.

Piob's method is good, my wife and I do the same.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fwiw, the weddings aren't in NYC. One of them is annoyingly planned, a Thursday before the 4th of July weekend. I'm ******* fuming over that.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A Thurs? WTF!

Better than the time that I was best man at a wedding ON 4th of July wknd Sat. 90+ degrees. No booze. Mucho delays(close to 3hrs because they could not find a pre-made CD with all the reception songs.)

Horrible time was had by many!

But it doesn't matter. $200 is fine regardless.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
scheduling a wedding on the Thursday before summer's business holiday weekend ... major douche move.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To make matters worse it's close to my parents house so it looks like I'll be driving there, not drinking, then driving to my parent's.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** that. The Thurs before the 4th? What are your plans for the wknd? if you are staying local, just rent a car...drive to the wedding and then back home the same day/evening. Wake up at home and start your 3 day wknd!

Yeah..you can't get loaded, but you have the rest of the wknd for that.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a combination of your ability to give, how close you are to the bride/groom, and the venue. Regardless of how close someone was to my wife and I at the time, I wouldn't expect them to give us $200 if they could not afford to do so. I would feel bad if they did.

$200 should be considered a nice gift in just about any situation. As far as the venue, it's a factor but I would not give $200-250 to a couple I hardly know just because they picked a nice venue.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I think everybody here is dancing around the real answer of drive to Pennsylvania first and buy fireworks, and then show up to the wedding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics