• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Details (Specific Questions Inside)

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
Hey SF,

Thanks for putting up with another wedding thread ... I will try to make this one as concise and specific as possible.

Context:
The wedding is July 14, 2012 at 5 o'clock in the afternoon. The ceremony will be considered semi-formal for today's standards, ie. longer than a 15 minute service, church ceremony. I will marry my beautiful bride at a very old Episcopal church just outside of Asheville, NC. There will be a cocktail hour immediately following the ceremony with the reception starting at 7 o'clock in the evening and lasting until 11 o'clock.

Our wedding colors are: Deep Magenta and Gray

Groomsmen attire:
(Rented) Black notch lapel tuxedo's with black vests, white spread collar shirt, glenplaid ties or bow ties with a light magenta overcheck (or solid color ties), and a small magenta orchid on the lapel.

1) Is the glenplaid tie suitable for groomsmen?
2) What kind of pocket squares would be acceptable for the groomsmen if wearing glenplaid ties? I feel like this is the most difficult part of this ensemble because of the magenta in the tie and the flower.

quick + not 100% accurate example of bow tie pattern: http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page...w_Ties.asp&pg=0&categoryIds=51&optionValueIds=

Me (Groom):
(Owned + Tailored) Shawl Collar tuxedo, white spread collar shirt, white orchid with magenta accent flower (small), and cummerbund and bow tie set.

1) Do I have any choice but to go with black cummerbund/black bow tie set. I really want to wear houndstooth, glenplaid set, but fear that this will not work. I think it would be appropriate if the groomsmen were to wear a solid tie rather than the glenplaid.

2) Is it appropriate for a groom to wear a bow tie and groomsmen wear ties?

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First, let me argue for owned suits over rented tuxes - they will look better because their owners should have tailored them to their proportions, because they are not rented tuxes, which are always and everywhere an abomination, and because they will not all match, which looks ridiculous to me. Finally, 5:00 is a bit early to be in a tux. But whatever.

That done, if you are set on forcing the groomsmen into rented tuxes - 1) long ties are not traditional wear for tuxes. If the vests on the rented tuxes have a high cut like this one -

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...nw=81&start=0&ndsp=41&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:70

instead of the low cut vest that is so much more attractive with a tux and remains basically unseen if the jacket is buttoned, then the lines are already pretty much ruined anyway so you might as well go with a long tie.

2) tuxes are part of black tie attire. That means they are worn with black ties. Wearing a "wedding tie" like glen plaid or houndstooth is importing neckwear from a different getup into semiformal evening wear.

3) Pocket squares - just wear white ones. Don't overthink this.

All that said, it's your wedding, so obviously you can do what you want. But presumably you came here and posted because you have some regard for what is traditional and/or what other people find most attractive, so there it is. Take it for what you will.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
Thank you for the thorough reply.

I didn't mean to imply that I was was in any way going to force my groomsmen into renting tuxedos. Actually, quite the opposite would hold true. I would much rather them buy a suit or tuxedo and have it tailored to meet their shape. I have one groomsmen who is 6'6" one who is 6'4" one who is 5'8" and 215lbs among others so the size varies quite alot. Up until now I havent given any thought to the notion that I might ask them to buy their own suit. I'm taking a shot in the dark and assuming that the rental would be approx. 50% of the cost of a OTR suit + tailor. Not sure I can ask them to make that financial commitment. I see what you mean about the high breast-line of the vest, I will try to specify lower rise vests with bow ties to comply.

I read Manton's speech which has helped me make some decisions. I think there are a few rules that I am willing to break in order to have the affect we are after.

Also, meant to ask if it would be appropriate for the groom to wear shawl collar with his attendents wearing notch lapels. Thank you for your help and opinion.

First, let me argue for owned suits over rented tuxes - they will look better because their owners should have tailored them to their proportions, because they are not rented tuxes, which are always and everywhere an abomination, and because they will not all match, which looks ridiculous to me. Finally, 5:00 is a bit early to be in a tux. But whatever.
That done, if you are set on forcing the groomsmen into rented tuxes - 1) long ties are not traditional wear for tuxes. If the vests on the rented tuxes have a high cut like this one -
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...nw=81&start=0&ndsp=41&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:70
instead of the low cut vest that is so much more attractive with a tux and remains basically unseen if the jacket is buttoned, then the lines are already pretty much ruined anyway so you might as well go with a long tie.
2) tuxes are part of black tie attire. That means they are worn with black ties. Wearing a "wedding tie" like glen plaid or houndstooth is importing neckwear from a different getup into semiformal evening wear.
3) Pocket squares - just wear white ones. Don't overthink this.
All that said, it's your wedding, so obviously you can do what you want. But presumably you came here and posted because you have some regard for what is traditional and/or what other people find most attractive, so there it is. Take it for what you will.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Peak and shawl lapels are universally accepted as correct on a tuxedo. People debate regarding how inappropriate notch is, but most agree it is not preferred. I didn't mean to say that you should force them all to buy new suits, but rather they should all wear suits they already own.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk of " glenplaid ties or bow ties with a light magenta over check (or solid color ties)," suggests a fancy dress party. If you really must wear evening dress for the ceremony stick to black bow ties.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

All this talk of " glenplaid ties or bow ties with a light magenta over check (or solid color ties)," suggests a fancy dress party. If you really must wear evening dress for the ceremony stick to black bow ties.

:nodding:

Featured Sponsor

With US Luxury Spending Down 11%, Have You Also Cut Back?

• Yes, I’ve reduced my luxury spending.

• No, my luxury spending has stayed the same.

• No, I’ve actually increased my luxury spending.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
altaredrim80