WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Feb 20, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

clags has a sears tower sized boanar for striped ties.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: May 29, 2014

3. in stitches

oh my !

4. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

The Chicagoan in me appreciates this statement as the Sears Tower will always be known as such.

5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kulata

That isn't a Drake's striped grenadine in your last pic is it? I can't tell from the pic, but there's one that Sotiris wore in a previous picture but in orange. Curious if yours is the same kind.

Last edited: May 29, 2014

6. kulata

kulata Senior member

No its not Drake's. It's from Feni Milano

7. Claghorn

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

8. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Ok, I'm going to give it a go, to see if we can start some discussion. Over all, I think this is a really nice batch, some great fits and especially beautiful photography & scenery.
    @EFV got a load of thumbs and deservedly so, it looks like a professional photo shoot for a high end magazine. And his partner dressing in comparable style makes it complete. But, TBH, it's hard to make out the details of his fit. Other than a general impression of a well fitting (if somewhat short) suit and a very elegant way of wearing a hat, it's hard to say anything about shirt and/or tie combo. And only the second time looking, I noticed the blue tassel loafers, not a favourite of mine, I'm afraid.
    Of course, the quality of the pics always plays a big part but then again, one gives a thumb up if one likes what he sees, so it's all part of the game IMO, nothing unfair there.
    @Pingson is solid as always (as is @Sotiris ), I love the stare in the camera: "Don't mess with the Prof!" [​IMG]
    @DonCologne 's talent for colour combinations is again illustrated here, and for once (forgive the snipe, Don) the shoes are nice here.
    My least favourite of this batch (and please, don't take this personally, i just hope to get some discussion going) is the fit of @chocsosa . I understand from your comments that you kind of had to throw this fit together due to circumstances (the extreme heat, right?), but I'm afraid it shows. IMO this is not up to your usual high standards. I think a less busy shirt and/or tie and somewhat more 'summery' shoes would have helped a lot here.
    @Braddock has show us fits that are a lot better than this one, IMO (too much going on for my taste), but then he makes up with jealousy inducing scenery!
    I really like the subtle fit of @sugarbutch here. His choice of using a rather pale, low contrast tie accentuates the nice colour coordination between the light grey suit and his hair/beard colour. A good example of how someone with a rich complexion can make a low contrast fit work.
    But my favourite of this batch has to be @tchoy , for the perfect fit of his suit and the understated elegance of the combo. His relaxed pose tops it off, just superb!

9. Claghorn

No question. tchoy wins that batch.

10. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ Hands down. As i said in WAYWRN, that is one of the best fits I've seen on SF. No flash, just perfect fit and colour combination. I almost never save pics on my computer for future inspiration, but I had to save that one.

As for my own fit. I mostly wanted to try out my new camera, so we took it for a spin in one of the most beautiful spots near our apartment. I suspect the setting was the reason for the many thumbs, but I also quite enjoyed that fit and will probably be wearing variations of that combination more times.

All in all, a batch of good to great fits. There are no fits there that doesn't belong in the 20 thumb thread imho.

11. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I agree with you EFV..you and Tchoy totally took it.. as for mine being the least favorite of Eloida..thats totally fine.. The only thing on my side that I feel I would have changed is the shirt..you are correct that it was too busy for the suit.. I did have another option that would have worked better.. but the shirt was a little thicker..in that weather outside it would not have worked.. the tie is a solid knit tie, perfectly acceptable for summer.. as for summer shoes.. you might have a point there.. the only summer shoes I have are loafers which I would not wear to a wedding..so some points I agree with and others I dont...my favorite outift was braddocks..the colors and pattern mixing was sublime..everyone in the list did a great job with fit (atleast those that I could see from a full body pic)..Im not a fan of burnt orange ties in general but I think you made it look as good as it could be..hard to do Eloida and Don (sort of)..Pingsons outfit is more my style and as usual did a very elegant and understated job with his latest offering..overall this was a great batch

12. TweedyProf

Thanks Elio for getting this started. Very nice all on the fits. A few things that jumped out at me

1. Sotiris' linen tie with the suit (I think it's a fresco).
    2. Sander's choice of a pink shirt to go with the cream jacket.
    3. Tchoy's nice use of green with the gray suit.

They pop a little for me in that they aren't necessarily the first choice I would have gone with (e.g. neat, light blue shirt, blue neat in order, to pick obvious color/category choices). But I also quite like Elio's use of color, texture and pattern (see the close up). The check is bordering perhaps on the too large size but I quite like it...with the burnt orange, it's got a nice joie de vivre.

13. TweedyProf

BTW, since Clags has reiterated that this thread can be a forum for discussion, might I suggest that we kick up rather than down in future discussions (not that any of you were suggesting otherwise)?

That is, rather than critiquing a fit for not belonging, those posters (and I'd love to hear from all of the above) choose a fit occasionally that missed the 20thumbs but worthy of notice. No need to discourse too much on thumbs, but there's a "mob" effect of course. I'm interested in fits where Clags, Chocosa, EFV, Elio, Stitches, Sugarbutch and Pingson thumb but no one else does (to make up an example) that I think worth bringing to the fore occasionally and discussing. That would be instructive. Maybe I will look for one, but AM SF time is now drawing to a close so it will be later in the day.

14. Claghorn

hy.

15. in stitches

such a good batch and no comments?