• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standing in front of the Whole Foods Market on Ventura Blvd in the part of the San Fernando Valley called Tarzana (Edgar Rice Burroughs lived here) where the window paintings are either six months behind or six months ahead of the actual season (at least in the Northern Hemisphere).

View attachment 1150262

Brooks Brothers cord jacket (from the early seventies), Burberry Nova Plaid pocket square, L L Bean yellow OCBD shirt (from the year 2000), Vineyard Vines belt, Orvis cotton canvas trousers, white socks (yes, I was at school in the fifties and early sixties), and (made in 1984) Allen-Edmonds saddle shoes.

Over here, as I am sure you know, @Roycru white socks have a different association. They were part of a casual 1980s wardrobe and then appropriated by 'Essex Man' who did them a great disservice by squeezing thick, white towelling socks into very slim burgundy loafers or something similar :-D

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over here, as I am sure you know, @Roycru white socks have a different association. They were part of a casual 1980s wardrobe and then appropriated by 'Essex Man' who did them a great disservice by squeezing thick, white towelling socks into very slim burgundy loafers or something similar :-D

Haha!! It was so gross seeing the chavvy kids wear white socks with black school uniform.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some examples of boys wearing white socks in America in the mid-sixties (before drugs and the horrid hippies ruined everything forever).

Here's a picture taken at on the front lawn at my old school during lunch sometime during the 1964-1965 school year. (I graduated in 1965).

The man in the grey suit with his hands in his pocket is the Boy's Vice Principal who always suspected us all of being up to no good.

11204014_10153345561483463_4873310010127726131_n.jpg

Here's another picture from around the same time, taken at a garden party the father of a girl I was at school with gave for some of his clients.

3.-Barbara-Rush.-980x1024.jpg

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some examples of boys wearing white socks in America in the mid-sixties (before drugs and the horrid hippies ruined everything forever).

Here's a picture taken at on the front lawn at my old school during lunch sometime during the 1964-1965 school year. (I graduated in 1965).

The man in the grey suit with his hands in his pocket is the Boy's Vice Principal who always suspected us all of being up to no good.

View attachment 1150389

Here's another picture from around the same time, taken at a garden party the father of a girl I was at school with gave for some of his clients.

View attachment 1150393

Wait, is that Paul McCartney?

D0E7E428-100E-4DDD-AC5B-695BA222BBBD.jpeg

EB5C6F53-3792-4623-A7E2-AD70DD3EE5EA.jpeg

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1150389

View attachment 1150393
Obviously this picture requires more explanation. Were you actually at this garden party with the Beatles?

Epicure

Reaction score

SplurgeFrugal

Reaction score
facebook-safari-linen.jpg

This is one of my favorite thrifting finds of all time! This is a 100% linen belted safari jacket purchased new with tags on eBay for only $18.00. The brand is Kingsley & Hawkins. It is utterly comfortable and cool, much cooler than a cotton safari jacket. Its a great replacement for a blue blazer when I want to step up my casual wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads