• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ not sure if serious?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't think it has some merit though?

There are several pics posted lately with ankle-strangling trousers which seem to spoil an otherwise stellar outfit.

Perhaps. But slim jeans with chelseas has been a classic look for over half a century.

colco

Reaction score
Too small a leg opening is a major peeve of mine as well (size 12D feet) though invalid with jeans.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You don't think it has some merit though?

There are several pics posted lately with ankle-strangling trousers which seem to spoil an otherwise stellar outfit.

The picture referenced was just perfect IMO, especially so since it was worn with chelseas. It's all a question of preferences of course. IMHO, jeans can't be judged by the same standards as dress trousers.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that when jeans are in the picture, the rules of CM go out the window and personal aesthetic preferences come into play. As is the case with most fits that blur the lines between SWD and CM.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I find that when jeans are in the picture, the rules of CM go out the window and personal aesthetic preferences come into play. As is the case with most fits that blur the lines between SWD and CM.

It's a fair comment, and I agree that you can get away with narrower jeans than say suit trousers, as you have done in your pic. I also think that Chelseas are arguably the best footwear to wear with narrow jeans, but even as someone who prefers a slim look, I do see a bit of a trend for very narrow trouser bottoms which can look jarring in an otherwise good pic, especially if the subject has canoe-sized feet!

arredondoae

Reaction score
As a musician, I often ponder the relationship between the personal style of musicians and the style of music they create. Take Miles Davis for instance, here he is wearing MC Casual at a recording session in 1954.

Here's his interpretation of a fairly classic (1930) tune around that time. Notice how he states the melody. Sure there's some embellishment, but he sticks pretty close to it. This to me matches his classic clothing choices in the photo. His laid-back swagger aligns with his relaxed style of playing - moderate volume, no vibrato, gentle articulation, and relaxed swinging eighth notes.

0.jpg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's pretty cold over here right now (46 degrees Farenheit) and the undershirt is actually made of merino wool so it keeps me surprisingly warm without adding bulk. I've been wearing them all week but it happens to be showing today - not a look I'd normally go for but I'm cold! :)

It looks so cold your skin is showing up with a blue tinge on my monitor.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In NYC, the weather will be steamy for the next several days - linen is called for.

Shirt - Lewin
Trousers - BB
Shoes - BB

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Casual stuff. Incotex, RRL shirt, and I think the coat is Brooks Brothers. I don't get outside much during the day, so an abandoned, rarely used conference room needs to suffice for fit pictures..

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So close, CD! The loafers are just a bit too light for my tastes, but I'm digging the rest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads