• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rob g

Reaction score
P1010119 (2).JPG

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It wasn't very cold today so I had a chance to wear my brown suede Valstarino, albeit with a chunky cashmere rollneck underneath.

I've worn the rest of this outfit before, more often than I care to admit, but it reminded me again of how much I love wearing this jacket. Simple and understated, not a shouty colour, but the suede gives it a nice luxuriousness which makes it such a pleasure to put on.

View attachment 1741736
Is it a Valstarino model or another model by Valstar?
I thought the Valstarino had the traditional button pockets of the A1 flight jacket it is inspired from ?
BTW didn’t see @Gerry Nelson for a while (a Valstarino wearer)

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a Valstarino model or another model by Valstar?
I thought the Valstarino had the traditional button pockets of the A1 flight jacket it is inspired from ?
BTW didn’t see @Gerry Nelson for a while (a Valstarino wearer)
It's a Valstarino. However, it's the reversible one with a water-resistant inside, that was being sold earlier in the year by the Permanent Style shop. You'll notice it if you look at the double buttonholes which allow for the buttons to be put through to the other side.

Apparently, they did away with the patch pockets to remove some bulk from the mid-section area. I would have preferred the original pocket design but this one also looks quite nice like that too. The reason I got this was that I live in a city with a fair bit of rainfall so the ability to withstand rain is actually essential. I got caught in a downpour once while wearing it - I was able to quickly reverse it and button it all the way up - the inside of the jacket was absolutely soaked but there was zero impact to the suede. It dried up quickly and it was like new again.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Apparently they did a reversible model with the Patch pockets though.
I really like the A1 style flight jacket, and to me the patch pockets are definitely part of the look. I own a suede one, not a Valstarino but a cheaper number, it has the patch pockets though.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently they did a reversible model with the Patch pockets though.
I really like the A1 style flight jacket, and to me the patch pockets are definitely part of the look. I own a suede one, not a Valstarino but a cheaper number, it has the patch pockets though.
Yeah, this one was from the previous year (2020) which I unfortunately missed. I would have ideally liked to have that one but I had to settle for the new version.

Agreed on the patch pockets, which is partly why I'm planning to buy a navy one that has traditional pocket design.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice looking jacket right there @rob g and I like the unconventional colour too.

As for the following discussion, I don’t get the attraction for A-1 style jackets that seem to be hugely popular on here. It’s purely personal taste but I much prefer the look of the A-2s which don’t seem to get anywhere near the same applause. That said, a reversible suede version seems like a good idea. I have a tan suede trucker that’s a great looking jacket but you have to be so cautious about where and when to wear it!

Last edited:

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice looking jacket right there, and I like the unconventional colour too.

As for the following discussion, I don’t get the attraction for A-1 style jackets that seem to be hugely popular on here. It’s purely personal taste but I much prefer the look of the A-2s which don’t seem to get anywhere near the same applause.
The main reason for me is the presence of buttons instead of a zipper - can dress it up more easily. Also, I think the A-1 type of collar frames the face a bit better (on me, at least).

Obviously, very subjective but in any case they're both great-looking styles.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main reason for me is the presence of buttons instead of a zipper - can dress it up more easily. Also, I think the A-1 type of collar frames the face a bit better (on me, at least).

Obviously, very subjective but in any case they're both great-looking styles.
Yeah horses for courses of course. For me maybe the buttons take it a step closer to cardigan territory which is not my line. I see what you mean about the funnel neck.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
908E36B9-286F-42C3-B561-742C487288CA.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads