• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps more SWD than MC, but those people over there are savages! :D

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry, but this is all kinds of wrong. For one, those shoes are one billion percent the wrong shoes for those shorts. The shirt is meh, too baggy and looks bad tucked in.

At the least, swap the shirt for a fitted white T, and the shoes to a colour that goes.

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just bought this gingham shirt at BR
40% off on one full priced item code + merchandise credit to spend ... so i had to go find something and decided on this
i don't like the little contrast color detailing on the cuff and placket but they don't show during normal wear (rolling sleeves and not holding the placket open)

good fit off the rack
tail not too long (referencing the nice pictorial examples above)
and no money out of pocket
win

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm sorry, but this is all kinds of wrong. For one, those shoes are one billion percent the wrong shoes for those shorts. The shirt is meh, too baggy and looks bad tucked in.

At the least, swap the shirt for a fitted white T, and the shoes to a colour that goes.

JapanAlex01, I long ago accepted that we aren't going to see eye-to-eye on much of anything related to clothing. An example of the gulf between our viewpoints is your belief that a fitted white T-shirt would be at all acceptable for me to wear in public.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SB:
1. JapanAlex is a troll, ignore.

2. I think you could taper the shorts slightly just above the knee. You seem to be in pretty good shape so I think you could get away with it.

3. Change out the laces on the sneakers for plain white. The sneakers are fine, even neon sneakers can look cool at times, I just think that white laces would look better.

4. I would roll up the sleeves above your elbow.

Other than that, I like that shirt, is it seersucker?

TheSizzle

Reaction score
4. I would roll up the sleeves above your elbow.

In general, I think it's a pretty safe bet to roll the sleeves above the elbow with shorts. If you choose to roll your sleeves up with pants, I think just below the elbow works better. If you roll higher with pants, it can make you seem like you're trying to do manual labor in your work clothes. I think both looks work better when the roll wraps the arm more snuggly.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In general, I think it's a pretty safe bet to roll the sleeves above the elbow with shorts. If you choose to roll your sleeves up with pants, I think just below the elbow works better. If you roll higher with pants, it can make you seem like you're trying to do manual labor in your work clothes. I think both looks work better when the roll wraps the arm more snuggly.

I kinda disagree with both points. I like to always roll above the elbow because I just think it looks better. I'm not sure why it would be different with pants compared to shorts. In the case of SB's shirt, I like how it's quite loose through the sleeves, it looks nice and breezy and summery

TheSizzle

Reaction score
I kinda disagree with both points. I like to always roll above the elbow because I just think it looks better. I'm not sure why it would be different with pants compared to shorts. In the case of SB's shirt, I like how it's quite loose through the sleeves, it looks nice and breezy and summery

I guess it's preference, but I feel there is a slight loss of visual balance when your shirt ventures above your elbow while wearing pants. If your shirt fits well in the arms, the roll just below the elbow seems to work for me. It's like capri pants for your arms, but in a good way. Plus, when you actually go to lift some lumber, you get to hike up your sleeves to really live that moment out (sarcasm). Like I said, I think it's preference, but in a case like sugarbutch's shirt, it needs to be above his elbows. It's just too loose to work well as it stands, and he's wearing shorts anyways.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Now, now ladies. Let not fight. I'm sure we can all agree that Butchy's camo jorts are the real issue here...

... and Rambo, with the bluntness.

If you post that often on SF and still leave the house wearing camo shorts like those, I don't think anyone pointing them out is going to change your mind all that much.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rolled sleeves: Some shirts can be comfortably rolled above the elbow, and some can't. This one can't. hendrix, the shirt is linen.

Shorts: Rambo, are all shorts jorts to you? There's nothing denim about these. Or has SWD appropriated the term to refer to any shorts cut in a manner outside the groupthink?

Laces: The shoes came with gray and orange laces. The gray was meh. I can't imagine using white laces on these, though.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH, IMO, grey (tennis shoo-like) shoos are the best, to go with camo.

Sorry, don't mean to be hatin' on you sugarbutch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics