• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A seasonal display and I at the market early this morning.

View attachment 849176

Middishade Madras jacket, Barbour shirt, Vineyard Vines belt, Lands' End trousers, white socks, and Allen-Edmonds penny loafers.

(Also showing what pictures look like when someone much taller than you takes the picture.)
Looking like an Ivy League student on a beer run.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I unashamedly stole this look from @EFV

tumblr_ox0gytSQ6p1s5fve2o2_540.jpg
tumblr_ox0gytSQ6p1s5fve2o1_540.jpg

Jacket - Engineered Garments

Cardigan - J Lindeberg

Shirt - Kamakura

Trousers - Howard Yount

Shoes - Crockett and Jones

Like the color combo. The creepy lady behind you is freaking me out. I'm not sure how many people could/would enter, but a Friday Challenge around a more interesting color combo other than navy, brown and gray would be cool. There would be at least three entries.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. In my case it's because when I was at school in the fifties and early sixties almost everyone (boys and girls) wore white socks, so it's probably more Ivy than Essex Man.
Yes, indeed @Roycru

British and French youth have down the years had a fascination with mid-20th C American style. In fact, during the 1960s, for both Original Modernists in England and the Drugstore crowd in Paris, great importance was placed on wearing clothes that were imported. Ivy Style was especially popular, as we know.

Le Style J.F. Kennedy:

“Part of the Champs-Elysees looked like the campus of an American University in ’64. White socks, unlined madras jackets and American-cut slacks” according to Adam ( 1964 ). “… Tassel loafers or over-stitched Penny loafers (with a real US cent slipped in the window), white socks, light coloured cotton or corduroy jeans, Oxford shirts with button-down or snap collars, and lightly lined three-button jackets with small shoulders in seersucker or madras.”
Suits were in “Mohair, Harris Tweed or Herringbone Cheviot (with an adjustment tab on the back of the pants)”. Also popular were “Crested Blazers (here, however, crests were sold separately from a little basket…)”

The look surfaced again in the UK in the 1980's and the young 'criminal types' in Essex, as they would, perverted the look in the most vulgar fashion with thick white socks bulging over slim poor quality loafers!

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, indeed @Roycru

British and French youth have down the years had a fascination with mid-20th C American style. In fact, during the 1960s, for both Original Modernists in England and the Drugstore crowd in Paris, great importance was placed on wearing clothes that were imported. Ivy Style was especially popular, as we know.

Le Style J.F. Kennedy:

“Part of the Champs-Elysees looked like the campus of an American University in ’64. White socks, unlined madras jackets and American-cut slacks” according to Adam ( 1964 ). “… Tassel loafers or over-stitched Penny loafers (with a real US cent slipped in the window), white socks, light coloured cotton or corduroy jeans, Oxford shirts with button-down or snap collars, and lightly lined three-button jackets with small shoulders in seersucker or madras.”
Suits were in “Mohair, Harris Tweed or Herringbone Cheviot (with an adjustment tab on the back of the pants)”. Also popular were “Crested Blazers (here, however, crests were sold separately from a little basket…)”

The look surfaced again in the UK in the 1980's and the young 'criminal types' in Essex, as they would, perverted the look in the most vulgar fashion with thick white socks bulging over slim poor quality loafers!

Still put pennies in my penny loafers, although to adjust for inflation, should probably put US$2.50 gold coins (which are the same size as a US penny) in them. Take the pennies out and polish them when polishing the penny loafers. Here's a picture (with shiny penny loafers and shiny pennies) from Monday of last week.

P1100069 2.jpg

Since you mentioned President Kennedy.

18698068_10155137980351251_3386837765925394977_n 2.jpg

(Nantucket red trousers never have cuffs.)

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The richest members of the Drugstore gang (or crowd) were said to put a Louis d'or or a Napoléon (both golden coins ) instead a penny in their trademark JM Weston loafers.
Myth or reality i cant tell...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Speaking of inflation, 30 years ago i bought at a reasonable price some Weston loafers and kept them more than 20 years. Today i am on Bass Weejuns...

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks great Gerry, but i couldn't wear 1 of those sweaters indoors, let alone both. I would literally have to be 20 degrees F out for me to pull that off without melting

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads