• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emptym

Reaction score
Good idea on the taper.

I took pics of four different jackets today for the quilted jackets thread and thought I'd post one here.
IMG_1156.jpg

The rest are here, in case anyone's interested.

emptym

Reaction score
Got some new trousers from Stoffa. We had to take in the waist, but I'm still undecided on the leg opening/length situation.
View attachment 825687
Imo the cuffs just need to be slanted. Can Stoffa do that? Any reason you didn't get them with the Stoffa signature cuff up front only?

These could use a slanted hem too (or more slanted?). Should be pretty easy on pants without cuffs.
View attachment 826247
Trying to solve theme park wear
Awesome.
Excellent.
View attachment 827108 Another horrible mirror selfie... It's fascinating how nice weather can empty an office enough so I'm able to go in super casual :)
I like all the pieces, except maybe for the collar, which seems too high. But they don't all go together very well imo. Maybe if you just switched that belt for a ribbon one or an O-ring one (like in the AAS's post above) then everything would work together.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why they wouldn't do slanted cuffs, but I don't know. I don't really like slanted all that much, nor do I like the cuff mullet.

Imo the cuffs just need to be slanted. Can Stoffa do that? Any reason you didn't get them with the Stoffa signature cuff up front only?

These could use a slanted hem too (or more slanted?). Should be pretty easy on pants without cuffs.

Awesome.

Excellent.

I like all the pieces, except maybe for the collar, which seems too high. But they don't all go together very well imo. Maybe if you just switched that belt for a ribbon one or an O-ring one (like in the AAS's post above) then everything would work together.

emptym

Reaction score
Nice re. "cuff mullet." I don't it either, but if I were getting pants from Stoffa, I might let them put them on. Why don't you like slanted? And what do you dislike about the current "opening/length"? I assumed it was the fact that the fronts hit your shoes while the backs floated.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice re. "cuff mullet." I don't it either, but if I were getting pants from Stoffa, I might let them put them on. Why don't you like slanted? And what do you dislike about the current "opening/length"? I assumed it was the fact that the fronts hit your shoes while the backs floated.

If I had a preference I think slanted would be my last choice behind either this or wider and longer, especially with a thick fabric like this. I think slanted might come out looking weird/wrinkly, at least if it were to be slanted enough to cover my socks. And I know it's not noticeable to anyone, but I'm not just sold on the idea of a slanted cuff. Stoffa seems more than willing to entertain my neuroses, so I'll wear it some more and see what I end up feeling like doing. Some days I like how this looks and feels, some days not so much. It helps that these are not formal trousers, but maybe I'll just want a longer hem when it's colder.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Hmm. Strange. Slanted cuffs should avoid wrinkles. But lengthening the hem without slanting it would definitely lead to wrinkles.

In case you hadn't seen this old thread, it has some great examples of slated cuffs that don't cause wrinkles:
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/on-pants.177616/

Edit: since these have a thick fabric, wider might be good. I like my winter pants a bit wider, since they're often worn with boots. Plus, a wider leg balances out a bulkier, insulated top.

Last edited:

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of those pics aren't showing up for me for some reason. But to clarify what I meant by wrinkles if I were to slant the cuff, I don't mean the bunching that would occur if I lengthened them. I have a pair of trousers with slanted 2 inch cuffs and maybe it's just the tailor, but there's shiver in the vertical crease because of the slanting and the big cuff. The leg above the cuff just can't lay flat like if there were no slant. Normally fine with a drapey pant, but the winter white pants are thick cotton and are pretty stiff with a 2 inch cuff. The issue may be exacerbated? I'm not sure how much the cuff could be made to slant without messing up the line too much. Maybe I'm just being neurotic. But for the trouble, I'd just rather the leg be opened up and lengthened. Seems like a much better solution if I wanted to go that route.

And yeah when it gets colder I just may want a longer hem to cover my ankle better and a bigger opening if I want to wear boots.

Hmm. Strange. Slanted cuffs should avoid wrinkles. But lengthening the hem without slanting it would definitely lead to wrinkles.

In case you hadn't seen this old thread, it has some great examples of slated cuffs that don't cause wrinkles:
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/on-pants.177616/

Edit: since these have a thick fabric, wider might be good. I like my winter pants a bit wider, since they're often worn with boots. Plus, a wider leg balances out a bulkier, insulated top.

Last edited:

guldberget

Reaction score

Thanks! The collar looks really high. Must be because of how I'm standing and the angle. You're right about the belt - which has led me to add an earthy tone casual belt to my purchase list

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
@guldberget good fit! Although i prefer your universal works jackets :) Deets on watch? A shame people almost never posts watch details in fit pictures, it really adds something.

emptym

Reaction score
@dalevy, hopefully they're visible below. The aim of a slanted hem, with or w/o cuffs, is to avoid wrinkles but still cover the ankle. These seem to do that. Not having seen what you mean by the vertical wrinkles, my guess is it was the tailor. The slant doesn't need to be too extreme. Ime 1/2 inch is pretty good. 3/4 is probably ideal. but @jefferyd or someone else would know better.
Below are pants made by jefferyd of this forum and are one of the best examples of fit in every possible way. Note the completely absence of any puckering, pulling stretching, and above all perfect back balance.

40479215894689cace47.jpg

4048665834aa61c6a03c.jpg

[Tutee's own pants:]
img1531x.jpg

img1532j.jpg

Below are Vox's pants from a suit you have seen in WRYWRN thread and he will surely share his comments on these

835829623iqt8txl.jpg

8358296092bdc5xl.jpg

835829596g8c68xl-1.jpg

guldberget

Reaction score
IMG_2791.JPG
@guldberget good fit! Although i prefer your universal works jackets :) Deets on watch? A shame people almost never posts watch details in fit pictures, it really adds something.

Haha thanks! The watch itself is nothing special. It's a Triwa Falken. But it was a gift from a special someone. It's always accompanied by the two bracelets representing my two mini-mes. Does the combination work with everything? No. Do I switch them out to match other stuff? HELL NO! :)

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fantastic @Roycru !

The WSR line is certainly a great attraction and the infrastructure and rolling stock all beautifully maintained. At the current terminus, Bishops Lydeard, in the Quantock Hills there is a lovely little railway museum and model railway:

8. WSR BL.JPG

Some final pics from West Somerset of a short excursion to Exmoor on the best day weather-wise. Still needed some light knitwear, which I bought at the local Edinburgh Woollen Mill. Nice enough, but not my usual thing...

20. J P outside.JPG

18. J Pringle feets.JPG

21. Bossington.JPG

Last edited:

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was flipping trough a magazine in a book store, today, and saw a fit of yours. The name of the magazine is escaping me, though, as I'd never heard of it.

tumblr_otzihy4taH1s5fve2o1_1280.jpg

Polo - Eidos

Trousers - Eidos

Watch - @1stpatrn x timex

Belt - @christiankimber

Boots - Eidos x @christiankimber

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads