• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waxing A Cotton Jacket

jay-ninja

Reaction score
Here's my own vid of me waxing my Campbell Cooper jacket;

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I aged the jacket too by washing it a thousand times, that's how all the wax came out, so I rewaxed with a mix of 90% parrafin wax and 10% Beeswax. This video is the final stage.

BEFORE

AFTER

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than maybe the look, why would you choose a wax cotton jacket over a trench or rain coat? I was considering one and checked some reviews on SF and there were complaints about rewaxing, odor and the waxy feel. These kind of turned me off of waxed cotton. So what is the appeal?

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, you hit upon it in your very first sentence. Its the look. Fwiw, I like the smell.

ddonicht

Reaction score
Interesting before and after pics. Not only are they on a different guy, but if you look close they are 2 different jackets. ;)

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you kind of know what you need. A wax jacket is great for walking the dog, staying dry outside and generally living a country lifestyle. The trench keeps a wool suit dry when it rains and has a much more formal appearance.

They're not really the same beast, each designed for a different purpose.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd only do it if the coat is lined. Wax bleeds through and makes for a bit of a mess as others have noted.

I tried to wax a pair of chinos a while back (keeping in mind that I rewax my barbour jacket pretty frequently and I'm a bit of a dab hand with it) and they looked really cool. They felt awful, and it did nothing to make them warmer (I suppose I could wear thermals under them but I have a rule against underwear).

So if its not a jacket you NEED I'd say go ahead and play with it, but don't be surprised if it comes out horrible.

Also, you'll need at least two of the little jars. Unwaxed fabrics absorb a lot more than retouching old waxed cloth.

Best of luck,

LO'

jay-ninja

Reaction score

Interesting before and after pics. Not only are they on a different guy, but if you look close they are 2 different jackets. ;)

No, same jacket - I give you my word - I just added the union jack and changed the belt buckle :)

Last edited:

matt1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I tried waxing my jacket before it is very time consuming and yes very messy!

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to waxing my denim jacket. I used Otter Wax and it took about 2 bars. It was very time consuming and I really had to work the wax into the fabric. First, I rubbed the bar against the fabric and tried as best I could to get an even coating using my fingers. There was quite a bit of excess wax left on the jacket so I rubbed a rag soaked in very hot water to try to melt the wax and push it into the fibers, or else remove the excess wax on the surface. After repeating this last step several times, the end result is fairly uniform from a distance but close up you can see the white wax between the ridges of the twill. Brushing the jacket with a horsehair brush did help quite a bit though. It's not the same as a pre-coated jacket, but it has a certain appeal. I'm not sure the results are worth the effort however.

You can clearly see the difference between the underside of the fabric and the waxed exterior.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The only things missing from that waxed denim jacket are an embedded wick and a lit match.

Last edited:

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only things missing from that waxed denim jacket are an embedded wick and a lit match.

I forgot I was on this side of the forums. Just wait until I cut the sleeves off and sew some band patches on it with dental floss.

Guyzie

Reaction score
Amazing job!! Even your bone structure looks different in the after picture after the waxing job!!

havingaraveup

Reaction score
I'm going to bump this in case anyone has any experience waxing a jacket that has a lining, and any tips on how to wax to avoid bleeding. Any advice is very much welcomed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads