1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Watches

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SoCal2NYC, May 13, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

All the more reason to get the Glashutte, you know it has a crystal back.[​IMG]

Good to see you are mentioning straps...all watches, especially a chrono, look best on straps imo.
    [​IMG]

It almost looks fake.

2. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Yea. I'd almost be surprised to hear that at Kenjo and definitely wouldn't expect it at Wempe.

I cannot believe that anyone at Wempe would use such language. Who was the associate?

3. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

I cannot believe that anyone at Wempe would use such language. Who was the associate?

According to his card: Daniel Simone

Also don't understand why he went all the way to the window to get a black/black Evo when the SS/SS one sitting 1 ft away in the case was the one I wanted.

However, the GO PanoReserve which Tourneau has at $9200 was priced at $8895 there and he could "probably work on the price for me."

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yea. I'd almost be surprised to hear that at Kenjo and definitely wouldn't expect it at Wempe.

When you wear Thom Browne, people say the darndest things.[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...6&postcount=68

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

According to his card: Daniel Simone

Was he foreign, did he have an accent? My guess is that he actually said: "That's a big thick watch".

Again, I know the sales people at Wempe and Cellini, and I cannot imagine for a second one of them saying something like that

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

No he wasn't foreign...could have said that; but, my friend with me thought the same thing.

I don't care and wasn't offended by it, I just thought it was funny.

7. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

My thought is to go with the Patek Aquanaut, in that their designs seem to last over the years--if you're just going for one watch. I have a stainless steel one and fine it to be a fine watch.
    For some reason I've forgotten I always wear my Panerai while in NYC. For the one and only time a bus driver spoke to me (on the 5th Ave line) to ask me about the Panerai I was wearing--noting that he liked them because at the time few people recognized them. I suggested several place on Madison where he could try them out. (It's a white faced one.)
    Please post a picture of the one you get.

8. Say

Say Senior member

[​IMG] My apologies for moving off topic, but Shawndo, what lighter is that? My friend owned the exact lighter, but lost it. It was his prized lighter so I was hoping you could help me reunite him with his favorite lighter for his bday.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It's a Dunhill Unique lighter.

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

My apologies for moving off topic, but Shawndo, what lighter is that? My friend owned the exact lighter, but lost it. It was his prized lighter so I was hoping you could help me reunite him with his favorite lighter for his bday.
    That's a Dunhill, no?

11. Say

Say Senior member

Thanks guys. I don't think the one he owned was a $300+ lighter, but maybe a reproduction of it?

What's the style called?

12. shawndo

shawndo Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the Dunhill unique was the original of this style until after I got this. Although, it's not exactly a "canal st. replica" It's a Corona "Old Boy" About half the price of a Unique.

13. Winot

Winot Senior member

Can anyone tell me anything about this watch?

[​IMG]

It's available on the Chronomaster web site with the following description:

Used but mint condition Marina Militare hand wound wristwatch. The Marina Militaire is an exact copy of the original Italian Navy divers watches from world war two. The original watch has been reproduced here to almost exact specifications of the original which was given to Italian Navy divers fifty five years ago. The case is large and substantial designed to be water proof and strong for military use - the water resistance is not tested on this watch and there is no marks on the case back to indicate water resistance. It has got a large canteen style crown clamp to secure the crown into place for water resistance. The strap is held into place, not by usual spring bars, but by screw bars for additional security. The case back is screwed on and is a plain steel back. The case is made from stainless steel. The dial is referred to as a sandwich dial where the numbers and batons are cut out of the dial and become visible as the dial is sitting on top of a base plate. The hands are gilt hands as the originals were. The hands, numbers and batons are luminous. The strap is a 26 mm wide tan leather strap with enormous pin buckle which is about identical in size to the original from 1945. The movement is a hand wound Russian made Molnia pocket watch movement. These movements are pretty durable and reliable. This is a large and heavy watch. The dimensions are as follows: width is 46 mm excluding crown and 54 mm including crown guard, Lug to lug is 57 mm, Thickness is 15 mm. Ref. NWW 442. Price is £195 or US $385

Is it legit? IS it cheap because the movement is Russian?

(I should have prefaced this by admitting that I know nothing about watches - have just dipped by toe in the water with a Nomos Tetra for wearing with a suit and now looking for a sports watch).

Many thanks, W.

14. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Well it is legit in the sense that they are basically telling you it is a Panerai knock off in terms of styling without actually saying anything about the company they are imitating.

15. MrRogers

MrRogers Senior member

I didn't realize the Dunhill unique was the original of this style until after I got this. Although, it's not exactly a "canal st. replica" It's a Corona "Old Boy" About half the price of a Unique.

Correct, its a savinelli corona "old boy" lighter. Great value in that lighter as I prefer it to my vintage dunhills and new St. Duponts. Very reasonably priced between 85$ for a simple matte black finish to 150$ for a burl tank.

MRR

16. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Was he foreign, did he have an accent? My guess is that he actually said: "That's a big thick watch".

Again, I know the sales people at Wempe and Cellini, and I cannot imagine for a second one of them saying something like that

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm not from NYC, but when I get up to the city I always stop in at Wempe and Cellini, in the Waldorf. I cannot imagine that type of language in either store.

17. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

It's a Dunhill Unique lighter.

It might actually be an Old Boy by Il Corona for Savinelli.
    [​IMG]

18. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

I've owned many watches, but not most of those on your list. I'll offer my thoughts anyway.

Audemars Piquet Royal Oak - an iconic watch that many people love. I don't, but that's purely personal prference. I offer no knocks against this watch. Many people consider its case and bracelet finishing to be among the very best.

Panerai Luminor Marina PAM 49 - I disagree with your plan to go with a white dialed PAM (not Pan, ever). Black (brown really) dials are what this brand is all about. Forget about what strap this watch is shown on. Your dealer can give you anything you want. I'd suggest that if you buy a PAM you should get a brown and a black strap and an extra (aftermarket) buckle. The strap takes about a minute to change with a buckle pre-installed. I also strongly disagree with the choice of a 40mm automatic Panerai. If you're going to do it, go with either a 44mm manual wind Luminor or 45mm manual wind Radiomir. Many watch purists/elitists consider Panerai a joke. I did for a long time (and Rolex too). I bought one at a great price as a lark with virtually no downside, resale-wise. I now own three. They're great fun to wear.

Patek Philippe Aquanaut - never owned one, but agree with all those that have cautioned against PP sports watches. If you change your mind, it's a tough item to resell (I seem to recall them languishing on sales boards). A PP sports watch is neither fish nor fowl, IMO. If Patek, go with a Calatrava case. The annual calendar might be a good choice.

Patek Philippe Nautilus - see above.

Glashutte PanoReserve - A well made watch, by all accounts. I happen to dislike their newer offerings with the chunky cases and blocky hands.

Glashutte Senator Chrono - See above.

IWC Aquatimer - I've owned many IWCs and it is definitely my favorite brand. I've never been an Aquatimer guy, but that may be because I've always been loaded with other IWCs and other dive watches. I like this choice, but I don't know if it 'fits' with your other options.

You seem to be all over the place. That's not an insult - I was there too. You need to take some time and focus on which watch(es) really speak to you.

My current box
    [​IMG]

19. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Thurston,

I really appreciate your insight.

I know the Aquatimer kind of sticks out in the group. It's just a watch that I have loved for a few years and always wanted...but realizing now that I'm not racing Triathlons anymore and in the pool, at the beach and "sporty" all that much anymore I realize it is something I'd never want to wear. I guess I always throw it in a list by default.

I'm heehawing about the AP...I feel that it's not THAT different in terms of basic quick glance at the wrist that my Datejust. [​IMG] (not my pic but same bracelet and fluted bezel)

I think the only reason I considered the Aquanaut was to snub a friend who played his fake off as being legit to me for about a year (don't know why I believed him...I mean who in LA doesn't own a car; but, wears a Patek?).

I've basically got it down between the 2 Glashuttes and the Panerai. Per the color of the Panerai I'm going to have to try on the white and the black. I am certain I will not get brown as I already have a beautiful brown face watch and I need something that sets itself apart. [​IMG]

Oh vell, I still have about 2 more weeks to decide.

20. shawndo

shawndo Well-Known Member

It might actually be an Old Boy by Il Corona for Savinelli.
    [​IMG]

It is a corona old boy. It's my lighter, i took the pic.

back to the OP, you really should check out the Glashutte Original Sports EVO. I recommended it before, but I saw it again in person, and I had to +2 myself!