• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I was wondering what brand of watch you guys prefferd and which you own? I personaly find Cartier the best, I despise Rolex (but own one.)

I have:

2x Cartier Tank Francaise (One Chrono Refelx, One Diamond)
Cartier Pasha Jewlery Watch
Rolex Masterpiece Mens Day-Date Special Edition  Platinum case and diamonds
Bvlgari-Bvlgari S/Steel strap and case
Franck Muller Sunset Yellow Gold strap and case
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore
And a Patek Philippe Grand Complications

JurassicJon

Reaction score
I own a Tag Huer Monaco Le Mans replica and an Omega Seamaster silver. I love both and wear both on a regular basis. I think my favourite watches would be Pateks, but they are WAY out of my league as of right now...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was wondering what brand of watch you guys prefferd and which you own? I personaly find Cartier the best, I despise Rolex (but own one.) I have: 2x Cartier Tank Francaise (One Chrono Refelx, One Diamond) Cartier Pasha Jewlery Watch Rolex Masterpiece Mens Day-Date Special Edition  Platinum case and diamonds Bvlgari-Bvlgari S/Steel strap and case Frank Muller Sunset Yellow Gold strap and case Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore And a Patek Philippe Grand Complications
That's a pretty high-end watch collection. If you get tired of any of them feel free to send them my way, especially the Patek Â
biggrin.gif

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
Although I have a Patek 5107 in white gold, I am currently torn between the IWC Mark XV and the Cartier Roadster (which is a bit more expensive).

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently torn between the IWC Mark XV and the Cartier Roadster (which is a bit more expensive).
Given a choice between these two watches, I would not hesitate to go with the Mark XV.  The Roadster, in my opinion, is too "bling bling" while the Mark XV exudes understated elegance that can dress up and down equally well.  I have often thought about getting the Mark XV white dial, which is more elegant (if less traditional) than the black dial.  The one downside to the Mark XV is that 99% of the general public will not know it is a high-end watch, but I think most IWC owners prefer it that way.

Currently in my watch rotation are a Glashutte Original PanoMatic Date, a Blancpain Aqua Lung, and a Raymond Weil Parsifal Quartz.  One or two more and I'm done -- this hobby is way too expensive.

kalra2411

Reaction score
What do you guys think of Rolex, too brash no? My opinion is that it just shows new money. Not very refined

MikeF

Reaction score
What do you guys think of Rolex, too brash no? My opinion is that it just shows new money. Not very refined

I'm no fan of Rolex watches -- but do you think diamond watches on men are any more refined?.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
C - you are mirroring my sentiments. I am leaning towards the white faced, buffalo strap, Mark XV. Everytime I pass it, I try it on. I think that I may splurge this weekend and get it (I have found it on-line for less than $2000.00).

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This of course begs the question -- Why do you own a Rolex, particularly one made of platinum with diamonds?

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
That's a pretty high-end watch collection. If you get tired of any of them feel free to send them my way, especially the Patek  

Shucks, A Harris had to call it first.

The one downside to the Mark XV is that 99% of the general public will not know it is a high-end watch, but I think most IWC owners prefer it that way.

I doubt that the majority of people seeing a calatrava with a leather band would see it as a high-end watch.

I can see the point, but my wife bought me a Rolex as a present when I finished my MBA.  And it wasn't new money, it was hard saved money scrapped together when she was a starving law school student.  I don't think I would tell her that it was too brash.  Then again, it is not solid gold with diamonds.

-Andy

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lawyer: Get the Roadster. I love that watch. You're a young guy and that's a cool-ass watch; it would look awesome. The leather band looks better that the metal one, plus you need the face with the grren and orange numbers. The IWC is too frumpy.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I agree diamond on a mans watch is a bit brash in the daytime, but those are left for evening. My wifes inlaws pursuaded me to buy the Rolex, (Dont even ask why..) Whenever I meet the in-laws I wear the Rolex.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Although I realy like Cartier, I hate the Roadster. Cartier is a brand based around its classic modles of the Tank, Santos, Pasha and Panthere. New models are normaly only around for a few years, and the do not retain their value, which is the main reason I have spent so much on my watch collection, if at any time I fall short of money the watches are a good asset rather than an excessive splurge (Like my clothes, ha ha.)

Even though the Roadster is at a good price point and looks quite good, if I was spending anything over $1000 on a watch I would make sure it was more than just a good looking watch.

That is why out of your choice I would go for the Patek, because they are more concerned with maintaining a good image than making money, like Cartier.

If I were you I would check out the Tank for that price. Also have you seen Bvlgari watches they are very nice, and not as expensive. Also worth a look if you are intersted in the looks rather than the quality are Louis Vuitton

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lawyer:  Get the  Roadster. I love that watch. You're a young guy and that's a cool-ass watch; it would look awesome. The leather band looks better that the metal one, plus you need the face with the grren and orange numbers. The IWC is too frumpy.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Â I must admit that my choice of the Mark XV over the Roadster was based in part on my bias against jewelry companies that make watches (Cartier, Chopard, Bvlgari, etc.) and my taste for more traditional, understated designs. Â That said, the Mark XV is indisputably the better made watch. Â To use an analogy: the Roadster is like a Versace, fairly well-constructed and flashy that says "look at me," while the Mark XV is like a Brioni, impeccably constructed and hardly likely to earn a second glance except from fellow connoisseurs. Â The Roadster's main advantage is its ability to garner raves from beautiful women at a club -- something GQ Lawyer will hopefully not be seeking given his marital status. If it matters, I have read that the white dial Mark XV is being discontinued, to be replaced by this flashier silver-dialed model. Â It may be difficult to find in a store in the future, although it will be available on the secondary market.

kalra2411

Reaction score
To use an analogy: the Roadster is like a Versace, fairly well-constructed and flashy that says "look at me," while the Mark XV is like a Brioni, impeccably constructed and hardly likely to earn a second glance except from fellow connoisseurs

Very very well said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads