• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Audemars Piquet Royal Oak

Panerai Luminor Marina PAM 49

Patek Philippe Aquanaut

Patek Philippe Nautilus

Glashutte PanoReserve

Glashutte Senator Chrono

IWC Aquatimer

Disregarding price...Yes? No? Maybe so? Caveat Emptors?

Personal pics from current owners?

WSW

Reaction score
Are you asking which one we prefer? Kind of vague the way you have put it.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Wanted to see what people had to say about them as I'm mulling over one of them as a potential purpose.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Like:

"My _______ always loses 3-4 min a day."

"I can't wait to own a ______ because it is utterly gorgeous."

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In that same size and price range I prefer the Vacheron Overseas, but then I have one so I am biased.

I don't like the Patek sport watches. They just seem off to me in the same way that Brioni jeans are wrong.

The Overseas is a classic, but I have not warmed to it for some reason or another.

I like the Panerai and have thought about buying one but never pulled the trigger. I am not sure why that is.

The acqutimer is nice, but I don't like the last 15 minute countdown detail on the face. I prefer their Pilot's watch.

I think the PanoReserve is super cool. I would wear it. The Senator is kind of blah and for that sort of design I would head to the JLC master series.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Oh come on Brioni jeans aren't that bad! Maybe more like Zegna stonewashed jeans?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Oh come on Brioni jeans aren't that bad! Maybe more like Zegna stonewashed jeans?
you didn't grow up in the 80s when they had pleats.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

I like the Panerai and have thought about buying one but never pulled the trigger. I am not sure why that is.

I never wanted one and then I tried it on and loved it.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta add a Daytona to the list. I'm not a die-hard rolex guy, but that one is a work of art, and it will appreciate in value if you go stainless.

ortolan

Reaction score
I agree that timezone is a better resource about watch quality, manufacture, and resale value. There are other watch boards frequented by wis, for example

http://www.p178.com/
http://www.watchnet.com/

That may not be helpful for you on style matters. On a style board, I guess we should talk about style then. In that case you must tell us exactly what you are interested in wearing with your proposed watch.

Of the watches you list, I think only one of them is suitable for formal wear - the Glashutte PanoReserve. I think white gold or platinum would be nice. The Panerai would be the most rough-and-ready of them all, that's an ideal steel watch to wear with jeans. The Royal Oak screams 17 mile drive, and unless you are a golfer, I wouldn't buy it. I don't like the style of the Pateks that you mention, but they are distinctive and appeal to some, and they have mainstream brand name and resale value. If you buy a Patek, no questions asked, no answers needed, much like Lobb shoes, even the ugly ones.

I've always thought your watch case metal color should match your belt buckle, your cufflinks (and studs), your fountain pen, and sometimes your wedding ring. The watch strap color should match your belt color and your shoes. Buy several watches and you'll always have one ready for the occasion. YG brown strap, WG brown strap, YG black strap, WG black strap should cover the basics, I think. Also, when matching, WG==Platinum==Steel==Silver and YG==RG==Brass, unless you are in a different plane of satorial excellence that I can only hope to afford.

Be aware that a big watch means you need to know the wrist circumference for your watch wrist hand for your bespoke shirt sleeve cuff (you are not using two buttons on your cuff I hope). There are ways of cheating sizes with a French cuff depending on your cufflink, so that's an advantage for French cuffs. A big watch means you need thicker padding on your cousu main watch strap, if you are a wis.

--ortolan

P.S. A wis might be considered a Wisconsiner, or a watch idiot savant, depending on the context. That categorization is not mutually exclusive, of course.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Glashutte PanoReserve

I don't own any of the watches on your list, but I vote for this one for looks alone. I particularly like it with the grey face on a brown strap. Let us know what you decide.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Thanks for the links Ortlan.

I know there are watch forums; but, I wanted to discuss it here rather than a full on watch forum where people are going to bring up the new XGC5 movment compared to the GXK6.

I love love love the PanoReserve and am leaning towards it the most; but, I really don't need anything "dressy" (hence the sport laden rest of the list).
The grey face on it is AMAZING; but, I love it with the black strap.

I have a silver/brown Louis Vuitton Tambour, SS/WG Rolex Datejust and a vintage Longines mystery dial yellow gold/black. All of which have a "plain face" and can go as formal or casual as I want.

That's why I have the sporty stuff on there; but, even then I'm not that keen on something super chrono and am leaning towards the Panerai.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads