• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch strap

smartie_addict

Reaction score
Ok, so I have had a thing about matching jewelry, ie belt buckle, watch cufflinks etc. I have kind of thought it looks better when they are all in unison. Recently, I read here that it is one of the "rules." This made me feel better but also significantly more self-conscious since I have some brass/gold colored cufflinks and belt buckles but no gold watch (I don't particularly care for them).

The question is, if I were to purchase a new watch, I would prefer one with a leather strap as opposed to all gold. Would I have to get different straps so that I can match the leather to that of my shoes and belt? Or is this one area which can differ from the other in the ensemble?

Thanks.

nick

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
I know technically this is breaking the 'rules', but I honestly believe that matching a leather strap on a dress watch to the belt/shoes is not necessary. Three main reasons:

1. The watch band covers a very small area so in most cases it does not call attention to itself
2. Furthermore, the watch is on a 'different plane' than the belt/shoes which are parallel to one another
3. Lastly, any well-dressed man (with apologies to Gianni Agnelli) has his watch tucked discreetly under his cuffs, so it is hardly ever visible.

Panzer

timekeeping

Reaction score
On a more practical note, has anyone tried changing watch straps on a regular basis?

I bought this special tool by Bergeon (spelling? it's the brand that most watchmakers use) for getting the spring bar out of watches. The spring bar is a little pin with spring loaded ends that holds the watch strap to the watch.  

But even with that tool, those spring bars kept flying off or I kept scratching the watch.

Maybe there is something wrong with how I am doing it...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Obviously it looks nicer if they do indeed match, but there is nothing wrong if they don't. That said I just purchased a new brown leather strap for my vintage Heuer manual wind chronograph, which previously sported a black band. I wore it yesterday with a pair of brown Pumas and a tan-colored RL Golf mock-neck sweater and it looked a lot better than if I had worn a watch with a black leather strap.

The best thing to do is to own 2 or 3 different color straps for a watch with a white dial (the only dial that can accept any color strap without offsetting the watch), learn how to change them without scratching and rotate them whenever you need a different color.

Jon.

smartie_addict

Reaction score
thanks a lot for the help guys...

question though:
if it is not necessary to match since they're not "on the same plane" (i like that verbiage) why match the metal with the others? likewise, if one cannot see the belt buckle, why need it match? Is this just one of the "rules" and it is because it is?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks a lot for the help guys...

question though:
if it is not necessary to match since they're not "on the same plane" (i like that verbiage) why match the metal with the others? likewise, if one cannot see the belt buckle, why need it match? Is this just one of the "rules" and it is because it is?
I have a reversible belt that has black / brown. If I wear brown shoes / brown watch strap, but my belt is completely covered, oftentimes I don't flip it over to the brown side, because I usually wear the black side out and it sit more comfortably that way.

If the belt will show however, I will flip it over to the brown side. Nothing looks worse than a black belt with brown shoes.

Jon.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would I have to get different straps so that I can match the leather to that of my shoes and belt? Or is this one area which can differ from the other in the ensemble?

Thanks.

nick
You should have different WATCHES

drljva

Reaction score
On a more practical note, has anyone tried changing watch straps on a regular basis?

I bought this special tool by Bergeon (spelling? it's the brand that most watchmakers use) for getting the spring bar out of watches.  The spring bar is a little pin with spring loaded ends that holds the watch strap to the watch.   

But even with that tool, those spring bars kept flying off or I kept scratching the watch.

Maybe there is something wrong with how I am doing it...
That's probably the main reason why I like the Cartier Roadster... don't have to mess with all of this to change the strap. :)

JV

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(smartie_addict @ Feb. 06 2005,03:30) Would I have to get different straps so that I can match the leather to that of my shoes and belt? Or is this one area which can differ from the other in the ensemble? Thanks. nick
You should have different WATCHES
Wonderful advice. I have a couple of vintage Hamiltons--one with a brown and one with a black band. Barring that, you should stick with a band color that mirrors the color of belt/shoes you wear most often.

VictorC

Reaction score
Just a query. My watches leather strap is a bit too long at the end where it goes over the buckle. If it is too long is it ok to just with a pair of scissors to cut the extra length off? Does that disfigure the leather too much and not look proffesional?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
Just a query. My watches leather strap is a bit too long at the end where it goes over the buckle. If it is too long is it ok to just with a pair of scissors to cut the extra length off? Does that disfigure the leather too much and not look proffesional?

Yes. Buy a shorter strap.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Yes. Buy a shorter strap.

I dont think there is much for choice in length and only in width. But ive already got the strap, so im just wondering what best to deal with the situation im in. Just leave it as it is i could or snip the little extra off.
Suppose i will leave it for now

JN41

Reaction score
Do not snip it. I agree with alliswell -- just buy a shorter strap. Many straps come in various sizes (S, M, L). I recently bought a strap from www.globalwatchband.com and they have various sizes and styles at good prices. Highly recommend it. You can get a nice strap made by a reputable brand for about 20 bucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics