1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wardrobe Maintenance

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 29, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would think if it is a blazer it would look ok. On a suit I think it would look odd.

2. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I think, being a blazer, it would be alright. I'm actually trying to find some elbow patches at the moment. Finally wore through the elbow of a linen summer blazer that I can't bear to part with, and need to patch it.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Between the rain and the humidity, none of my suits look like they have seen an iron this decade. But none need to be cleaned either. What a pain in the ass. No wonder the Victorians had valets.

4. patrickBOOTH

Ugh, I know. All of my trousers look like soggy messes. Even when they are pressed in the humidity they take on strange attributes of just not looking good. Must be the body heat causing them to look rumpled. Also, the elbow creases in my jackets are less than desirable.

1 person likes this.
  5. Manton

This just never ends. Of the service providors mentioned--cleaners, tailors, reweavers, shoe repair, and Tie Crafters--I have to go see them all.

Ugh.

6. patrickBOOTH

FWIW, Meurice cleaners on University does a great job on ties. They have hired one of the tie crafters people. Might be easier than going into no-mans-land to tie crafters. Take the 6 to Astor Place.

7. Manton

well I have to back to Greg's anyway, and tie crafters is right near there. Then they will ship the ties back to me. Not so hard.

8. patrickBOOTH

Does anybody have any experience with the detergents and the like from The Laundress? There's a shop in the village with their stuff and it is mucho expensive for detergent. I'm wondering if anybody has used their stuff and noticed a difference enough to warrant the expense.

I'm mainly looking into their whites detergent, stain solution and bleach alternative to keep white dress shirts white and without a collar ring. I've tried the little bar of soap thing on the collar and that's bullshit in my experience. Also shout and such on the collar and cuffs doesn't do any better of a job than normal laundering. The only thing that seems to work well on dress shirts is dry cleaning, but that is even more expensive than these products on a regular basis and also doesn't remove body odor and water based stains well. Am I over thinking this? Should I just launder normally and dry clean when they need it?

9. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

every few months ill soak my white shirts in a mix of a little over a cup of oxi clean and a gallon of water. soak for a few hours and wash in cold water. Ive yet to find anything that works better..including the laundress whites.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

have you tried the white vinegar method?

11. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Senior member

Did you ever tried the "old style" solution? -I.e. Soak them in hot water for a night, wash them at 90 C with some white fabric detergent?

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

+1. This works extremely well. Recommended here by a shirt maker. Kabbaz?

13. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i did. still didnt work as well as the one i suggested. I had some old charvet shirts i was gonna donate because the entire shirt had just gotten a dingy beige. Nothing seemed to help. But they looked absolutely perfect after a soad.

i did this too. doesnt work very well.

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I had a problem with oxyclean once where I got a blue stain on my white shirt - I think because I didn't dissolve the oxyclean well enough before soaking the shirt. Fortunately the stain went away after anther wash. Now I make sure I dissolve the oxyclean completely before soaking anything in it.

15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

yeah i dont think id call that a stain.... but yeah dissolving it is good. I use a LOT of it in just a little water. makes it nearly impossible to dissolve all the way.

16. patrickBOOTH

I've been soaking my shirts in a detergent with oxy clean in it. Doesn't do much, ime.

17. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

thats because youre not doing it right ya nutsack. youre just soaking your shirt in detergent. Get a bucket. fill with a gallon. put in 1-2 cups of oxyclean. not detergent with oxyclean. soak for a few hours or overnight. then wash in cold water.

2 people like this.
  18. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

I'm pretty excited about this. I haven't bought a white shirt in a couple years, and I have 3 old ones are basically ruined if I can't get the stains out. Was going to donate them soon.

I will try an overnight soak tonight!

1 person likes this.
  19. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

I've used this method for stubborn stains quite successfully, taken from PutThisOn (they took it back from StyleForum).

http://putthison.com/post/441812762/cleaningshirts

1. Soak shirt in a solution made from one gallon hot water (as hot as it will come out of the faucet) and one cup of vinegar. Let the shirt soak for 30 mins to 2 hours.
    2. Rinse shirts, and squeeze out excess water. Empty bucket and rinse. In a cup, prepare a concentrated Oxy-Clean solution. Make sure to use the Oxy-Clean granules that come in the tub. Make the solution about 10 parts HOT water to one part O-C. Usually this amounts to two scoops of O-C (using the provided scoop) per 4-6 ounces of water. You want this to be very concentrated.
    3. Apply the strong solution generously to the stained areas. Place the shirts in a bucket (so that the solution doesn’t flow away, or dry) with the stained areas towards the bottom of the bucket so they stay nice and covered in the solution. Allow to soak overnight. It can also help to use an old toothbrush and scrub the stained areas every hour or so, if you’ve got the time.
    4. In the morning, remove the shirts from bucket. Fill the bucket with a gallon of hot water, and two scoops of the Oxy-Clean (basically, follow the recipe on the package for a general cleaning solution) and mix well. Place the shirts in the bucket, and soak for 2-24 hours. This just helps to remove any trace of stain. You might want to stir the shirts around with your hands after you put them in the bucket with the weaker solution just to remove some of the stronger solution that is still on the shirts.
    5. Remove, and wash/rinse in the regular cycle on your washing machine.

1 person likes this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

All that shit isn't worth my time.