• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe Maintenance

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, Meurice cleaners on University does a great job on ties. They have hired one of the tie crafters people. Might be easier than going into no-mans-land to tie crafters. Take the 6 to Astor Place.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

FWIW, Meurice cleaners on University does a great job on ties. They have hired one of the tie crafters people. Might be easier than going into no-mans-land to tie crafters. Take the 6 to Astor Place.

well I have to back to Greg's anyway, and tie crafters is right near there. Then they will ship the ties back to me. Not so hard.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with the detergents and the like from The Laundress? There's a shop in the village with their stuff and it is mucho expensive for detergent. I'm wondering if anybody has used their stuff and noticed a difference enough to warrant the expense.

I'm mainly looking into their whites detergent, stain solution and bleach alternative to keep white dress shirts white and without a collar ring. I've tried the little bar of soap thing on the collar and that's bullshit in my experience. Also shout and such on the collar and cuffs doesn't do any better of a job than normal laundering. The only thing that seems to work well on dress shirts is dry cleaning, but that is even more expensive than these products on a regular basis and also doesn't remove body odor and water based stains well. Am I over thinking this? Should I just launder normally and dry clean when they need it?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Does anybody have any experience with the detergents and the like from The Laundress? There's a shop in the village with their stuff and it is mucho expensive for detergent. I'm wondering if anybody has used their stuff and noticed a difference enough to warrant the expense.

I'm mainly looking into their whites detergent, stain solution and bleach alternative to keep white dress shirts white and without a collar ring. I've tried the little bar of soap thing on the collar and that's bullshit in my experience. Also shout and such on the collar and cuffs doesn't do any better of a job than normal laundering. The only thing that seems to work well on dress shirts is dry cleaning, but that is even more expensive than these products on a regular basis and also doesn't remove body odor and water based stains well. Am I over thinking this? Should I just launder normally and dry clean when they need it?

every few months ill soak my white shirts in a mix of a little over a cup of oxi clean and a gallon of water. soak for a few hours and wash in cold water. Ive yet to find anything that works better..including the laundress whites.

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

every few months ill soak my white shirts in a mix of a little over a cup of oxi clean and a gallon of water. soak for a few hours and wash in cold water. Ive yet to find anything that works better..including the laundress whites.

have you tried the white vinegar method?

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Did you ever tried the "old style" solution? -I.e. Soak them in hot water for a night, wash them at 90 C with some white fabric detergent?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. This works extremely well. Recommended here by a shirt maker. Kabbaz?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

have you tried the white vinegar method?

i did. still didnt work as well as the one i suggested. I had some old charvet shirts i was gonna donate because the entire shirt had just gotten a dingy beige. Nothing seemed to help. But they looked absolutely perfect after a soad.

Did you ever tried the "old style" solution? -I.e. Soak them in hot water for a night, wash them at 90 C with some white fabric detergent?

i did this too. doesnt work very well.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a problem with oxyclean once where I got a blue stain on my white shirt - I think because I didn't dissolve the oxyclean well enough before soaking the shirt. Fortunately the stain went away after anther wash. Now I make sure I dissolve the oxyclean completely before soaking anything in it.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I had a problem with oxyclean once where I got a blue stain on my white shirt - I think because I didn't dissolve the oxyclean well enough before soaking the shirt. Fortunately the stain went away after anther wash. Now I make sure I dissolve the oxyclean completely before soaking anything in it.

yeah i dont think id call that a stain.... but yeah dissolving it is good. I use a LOT of it in just a little water. makes it nearly impossible to dissolve all the way.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been soaking my shirts in a detergent with oxy clean in it. Doesn't do much, ime.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I've been soaking my shirts in a detergent with oxy clean in it. Doesn't do much, ime.

thats because youre not doing it right ya nutsack. youre just soaking your shirt in detergent. Get a bucket. fill with a gallon. put in 1-2 cups of oxyclean. not detergent with oxyclean. soak for a few hours or overnight. then wash in cold water.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about this. I haven't bought a white shirt in a couple years, and I have 3 old ones are basically ruined if I can't get the stains out. Was going to donate them soon.

I will try an overnight soak tonight!

aussiejake

Reaction score
I've used this method for stubborn stains quite successfully, taken from PutThisOn (they took it back from StyleForum).

http://putthison.com/post/441812762/cleaningshirts

1. Soak shirt in a solution made from one gallon hot water (as hot as it will come out of the faucet) and one cup of vinegar. Let the shirt soak for 30 mins to 2 hours.
  2. Rinse shirts, and squeeze out excess water. Empty bucket and rinse. In a cup, prepare a concentrated Oxy-Clean solution. Make sure to use the Oxy-Clean granules that come in the tub. Make the solution about 10 parts HOT water to one part O-C. Usually this amounts to two scoops of O-C (using the provided scoop) per 4-6 ounces of water. You want this to be very concentrated.
  3. Apply the strong solution generously to the stained areas. Place the shirts in a bucket (so that the solution doesn’t flow away, or dry) with the stained areas towards the bottom of the bucket so they stay nice and covered in the solution. Allow to soak overnight. It can also help to use an old toothbrush and scrub the stained areas every hour or so, if you’ve got the time.
  4. In the morning, remove the shirts from bucket. Fill the bucket with a gallon of hot water, and two scoops of the Oxy-Clean (basically, follow the recipe on the package for a general cleaning solution) and mix well. Place the shirts in the bucket, and soak for 2-24 hours. This just helps to remove any trace of stain. You might want to stir the shirts around with your hands after you put them in the bucket with the weaker solution just to remove some of the stronger solution that is still on the shirts.
  5. Remove, and wash/rinse in the regular cycle on your washing machine.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

thats because youre not doing it right ya nutsack. youre just soaking your shirt in detergent. Get a bucket. fill with a gallon. put in 1-2 cups of oxyclean. not detergent with oxyclean. soak for a few hours or overnight. then wash in cold water.

I've used this method for stubborn stains quite successfully, taken from PutThisOn (they took it back from StyleForum).

http://putthison.com/post/441812762/cleaningshirts

1. Soak shirt in a solution made from one gallon hot water (as hot as it will come out of the faucet) and one cup of vinegar. Let the shirt soak for 30 mins to 2 hours.
  2. Rinse shirts, and squeeze out excess water. Empty bucket and rinse. In a cup, prepare a concentrated Oxy-Clean solution. Make sure to use the Oxy-Clean granules that come in the tub. Make the solution about 10 parts HOT water to one part O-C. Usually this amounts to two scoops of O-C (using the provided scoop) per 4-6 ounces of water. You want this to be very concentrated.
  3. Apply the strong solution generously to the stained areas. Place the shirts in a bucket (so that the solution doesn’t flow away, or dry) with the stained areas towards the bottom of the bucket so they stay nice and covered in the solution. Allow to soak overnight. It can also help to use an old toothbrush and scrub the stained areas every hour or so, if you’ve got the time.
  4. In the morning, remove the shirts from bucket. Fill the bucket with a gallon of hot water, and two scoops of the Oxy-Clean (basically, follow the recipe on the package for a general cleaning solution) and mix well. Place the shirts in the bucket, and soak for 2-24 hours. This just helps to remove any trace of stain. You might want to stir the shirts around with your hands after you put them in the bucket with the weaker solution just to remove some of the stronger solution that is still on the shirts.
  5. Remove, and wash/rinse in the regular cycle on your washing machine.

All that **** isn't worth my time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads