• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking sticks and canes

Chouse

Reaction score
After having to use a cane for a couple of month last year due to an injury I've come to the conclusion that it's not as stylish and glamorous as it may seem...

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
It has been the better part of 40 years since I saw Belle de Jour. I just remember the hoodlum's cane as being a very stout one very suitable for use as an impact weapon, not that it was a sword cane.

I think the prevailing feeling in the United States is that the gun is defensive weapon of the honest man: He's not afraid to make a racket with gunfire while defending life, limb and property because he has the right on his side. The dagger, sword cane, leaded cane, etc., being silent weapons, are perceived as the instruments of the stealthy assassin who wishes to cloak his deeds of blood in silence.

Ah, I was under the impression that it was a dagger/sword cane.

Of course, I am not necessarily against guns - merely that if guns are legal (and one can always have silencers on guns), so should be swords and daggers.

Having been mugged at gunpoint twice (in good ole' Atlanta), once while having my Kendo practice sword with me, the illegality of pointed weapons becomes even more ridiculous.

Biscione

Reaction score
I once had to use a walking stick for a few weeks after an injury. I found that the way to pull it off in this era is to dress around the stick; I over-dressed, often to the point of looking theatrical, and loved some of the reactions it got. It was quite fun, really. I'm a bit of a collector, and I love walking sticks that conceal something, weapon or not. I have one with a concealed sword and an innocent exterior. However, here's a special one; it's metal, quite ornate and heavy, with a sharp point and a concealed dagger. I'd never use the stick, but it's nice to look at. As for using a walking stick without injury or any other physical justification, I only ever use a Hugendubel stick, which conceals an umbrella and has a telescopic case for when the umbrella is in use.

Biscione

Reaction score
I think so, but maybe an expert can correct me. I got it as a gift, so I'm not 100% sure.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ thats quite cool. You could pull the dagger out and help people open envelopes, or at dinner, cut a slice of the meatloaf.

msza

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have my 5th great grandfather's cane. It has his name engraved on the handle, and his name is the same as mine. I get a kick out of using it every now and again. I am in my mid-twenties and dress prettly plainly most of the time. Jeans, plain shirt (t, polo, button-down), and plain tennis shoes. Sometimes I just feel like using it so I walk up to the grocery store and buy a few pieces of fruit or something, or to the coffee shop. I am very comfortable using it in these circumstances. The comfort comes from the fact that it is a family thing. I consider myself quite lucky to feel comfortable using it at all. I am on the eccentric side and I get a kick out of the sheer antiquated stodginess of it all. I also think it works better when I am dressed sort of slovenly, to enhance the juxtaposition.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads