• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emynd

Reaction score
So this might be a taboo question, but has anyone found a decent alternative to an Iris? I really like the piece but can’t justify shelling out that much for it.

Ideally looking for a vest with the same neck line as the Iris, something in a cotton or matte material in big boy sizes.

My bad... you said vest. Try this:

72631559_036_b

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw the tapestry liner, which is ok I guess, but not really what I’m after. The vest could work, but it looks like it’s sold out anyways. Thanks for the suggestions though!

norigim

Reaction score
I stopped by the Visvim and FIL stores in Tokyo on Saturday to check out initial release of SS20 stuff. Everything was pretty oversized and I ended up having to size down on the stuff I bought. For shirts I sized down from 2 to 3 and for the Iris I sized down from 3 to 1. Staff pointed out to me that the new Iris is not considered a liner anymore and is designed/sized to be outerwear (hence being called just Iris Jacket).

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by the Visvim and FIL stores in Tokyo on Saturday to check out initial release of SS20 stuff. Everything was pretty oversized and I ended up having to size down on the stuff I bought. For shirts I sized down from 2 to 3 and for the Iris I sized down from 3 to 1. Staff pointed out to me that the new Iris is not considered a liner anymore and is designed/sized to be outerwear (hence being called just Iris Jacket).
So this Season’s iris is much larger than the SS19 iris?
Also, any sign of new 7 Holes this year?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So this might be a taboo question, but has anyone found a decent alternative to an Iris? I really like the piece but can’t justify shelling out that much for it.

Ideally looking for a vest with the same neck line as the Iris, something in a cotton or matte material in big boy sizes.

I don't know if they still have it, but Reliquary in San Francisco had these vintage liners last year. I liked the fit better than the Visvim Iris. They were like $100 or something.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this Season’s iris is much larger than the SS19 iris?
Also, any sign of new 7 Holes this year?

Yeah, the cut of the jacket is actually pretty different when I compare them. For example the shoulders are designed (like most of the items this season) to be drop shoulders. The SS20 size 1 shoulder seams rest a few inches below my SS19 size 3.

No clue about 7 Holes; I didn't go to the trunk show this year so not sure what's getting released.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one in the picture is a Czech liner. Just do a search, you'll find them around.
Shop Velour in Oregon has a bunch and they're cheap! ;)
I'll check in out, aren't most actual MilSurp versions nylon though? The one DWW posted looks like it's cotton (but seems to be sold out anyways)

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the cut of the jacket is actually pretty different when I compare them. For example the shoulders are designed (like most of the items this season) to be drop shoulders. The SS20 size 1 shoulder seams rest a few inches below my SS19 size 3.

No clue about 7 Holes; I didn't go to the trunk show this year so not sure what's getting released.

No 7 holes listed, doesn't mean they won't release as spot item, but not part of main release cycle. Curious if the iris, while it has wider shoulders, does it still have super tight underarms? Curious if going TTS is more than move rather than up 1-2 with the existing.

dood1e

Reaction score
FINALLY they released a version of IRIS with proper sleeve length. Was holding back on getting one till now.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2638E8C2-80A2-43DD-9D30-9C18E1B523AF.jpeg
Hakama I picked up on yjapan over a year ago. Finally had them hemmed. Does the length look right or should I get them shortened more?

norigim

Reaction score
No 7 holes listed, doesn't mean they won't release as spot item, but not part of main release cycle. Curious if the iris, while it has wider shoulders, does it still have super tight underarms? Curious if going TTS is more than move rather than up 1-2 with the existing.

I never found that the arm holes were particularly tight; The current season Iris as far as I can tell, even when sized down twice, has roomer sleeves than the SS19 one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads