• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage watch servicing

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a vintage Girard-Perregaux gold dress watch off the 'bay. The watch is gorgeous, but is running fast -- gaining 4 to 5 seconds an hour. The power reserve seems to be a bit low -- 24 hours on a full wind. Does it sound like this watch needs service (despite the seller saying the watch was recently serviced), or is it operating within the acceptable range for a vintage watch? Should I wait a little while for the watch to "break in" on my wrist before thinking about having it serviced?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd give it a few weeks of constant wear and chart how it's running versus time.gov. Then take it in to a good repair facility for regulating.

Four to five seconds per HOUR is an excessive deviation. I would think that for a vintage, dress, non-COSC watch, you should expect plus or minus 20 to 30 seconds a day, but others here will undoubtedly know better where this particular watch should be.

Alan B.

Reaction score
I bought a vintage Hamilton off eBay and took it to my watch repairman. It needed servicing but it should be considered part of the purchase price of getting a vintage watch. Any vintage watch, consider tacking $100-$150 on for a service. If it's a good watch, it's well worth it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is running 2 mins fast per day, it sounds like it needs servicing (or at least to be regulated)

I would NOT go to a random neighborhood watch repair shop. I suggest contacting Jack at Industrial Watch Works in PA ([email protected]) or ask for a recommendation on TimeZone for a reputable watch repair shop in your area

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
God, I can’t believe I’m recommending them, but I think RGM is the best watch repair service when it comes to GP in the US.
Probably the most expensive one too?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanna Buy A Watch in Los Angeles does great work. Not inexpensive, but well worth it. They also have an amazing selection of watches and antique jewelry too.

www.wbaw.com

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
God, I can't believe I'm recommending them, but I think RGM is the best watch repair service when it comes to GP in the US. They had, or had the GP repair concession in the US.

Jon.

Bad experience?

I spoke w/ them a few months ago and came away with a lot of confidence in their ability.

I finally talked the official service center into doing what I wanted since they were cheaper but I'd trust them w/ pretty much anything.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian

I spoke w/ them a few months ago and came away with a lot of confidence in their ability.

I've used RGM three times to my complete satisfaction. Competent watchmakers are not inexpensive.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Bad experience?

I finally talked the official service center into doing what I wanted since they were cheaper but I'd trust them w/ pretty much anything.

Jon, I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with RGM, either here or via PM if more appropriate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads