• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Ties that are "Hand Blocked Ties Printed in England" Material Question

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am trying to get information about vintage 1950s-60s ties with labels that say "Hand Blocked Printed in England" in ether wool or silk but then do not mention Challis in the case of a wool tie or Ancient Madder in the case of a silk tie. I assume all vintage Challis or Ancient Madder ties are Hand Blocked but are all Hand Blocked, Printed in England Ties in ether silk or wool, the the reverse?

For example, I see a number of 1950s or early 1960s Brooks Brothers "346" ties that say "Hand Blocked Printed in England" in silk or wool but nothing else. Are these non challis or madder ties? I do not feel able to judge unless the tie is labeled.

What is the correct assumption?

Many Thanks in advance,

Irving

Below is an example of the label with a description of the material (in this case, wool challis), and a Brooks 346 silk tie with a similar label but not mention if it might be a "Ancient Madder").

fall-ties-2.jpg
il_1140xN.4062488879_8ai0.jpg
il_1140xN.4073924581_9fwg.jpg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
madder refers to the dyestuff that is processed from rubia tinctorum , and afaik 'ancient' seems to specifically refer to the natural dyestuff and not for instance a manmade analog .

ancient madder is distinct in feel , the usual descriptor is 'chalky' and i'd agree with that .

no i would not assume hand blocked = ancient madder it just refers to how the dye is applied you'll find hand blocked prints from many diverse traditions without reference to madder

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads