• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Look Tuxedo

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been invited to a 1920s themed event in a few Weeks. I would LOVE a vintage tuxedo, however i do not have a 1920s body (42-44 chest 36-38 waist) I am looking for suggestions to either get a modern tuxedo and add accessories to make it more classically styled, or a good place for vintage clothing. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Ivar

Reaction score
Modern dinner suit + wing-collared shirt will be just the ticket. The picture in my avatar -- of Swedish crooner Ernst Rolf -- is actually from the late 10s to early 20s, but it's hard to say if he's wearing a wing collar not.

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been invited to a 1920s themed event in a few Weeks. I would LOVE a vintage tuxedo, however i do not have a 1920s body (42-44 chest 36-38 waist) I am looking for suggestions to either get a modern tuxedo and add accessories to make it more classically styled, or a good place for vintage clothing. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
Are you saying that those are YOUR measurements, or are you claiming that those are "1920's body" measurements? Please post pictures of the specific 1920's look you're going for, and we can advise.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi vinny,

those are my measurements,most vintage tuxedos i can find on line and such are 36-40 chest and smaller pants.

I think I am just going to go with a modern peak lapel jacket and pants with the white vest as recommended in the picture posted by comrade

robbersarb

Reaction score
You're going in the right direction with the detachable collar shirt but I wouldn't recommend the white waistcoat. By the 1920s it was frowned upon because it just isn't as flattering as a black one with black tie!
The other small point I'd make is that bow ties in those days were smaller and the wings on the collars were much larger.
If you're really trying to get it exactly right then take a look on the black tie guide. It's a very good website and has a complete history of the ensemble including the 1920s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads