Vintage Look Tuxedo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Marc Voorhees, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Hello All,

I have been invited to a 1920s themed event in a few Weeks. I would LOVE a vintage tuxedo, however i do not have a 1920s body (42-44 chest 36-38 waist) I am looking for suggestions to either get a modern tuxedo and add accessories to make it more classically styled, or a good place for vintage clothing. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

2. comrade

comrade Senior member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

3. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Modern dinner suit + wing-collared shirt will be just the ticket. The picture in my avatar -- of Swedish crooner Ernst Rolf -- is actually from the late 10s to early 20s, but it's hard to say if he's wearing a wing collar not.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

4. Marc Voorhees

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Are you saying that those are YOUR measurements, or are you claiming that those are "1920's body" measurements? Please post pictures of the specific 1920's look you're going for, and we can advise.

6. Marc Voorhees

hi vinny,

those are my measurements,most vintage tuxedos i can find on line and such are 36-40 chest and smaller pants.

I think I am just going to go with a modern peak lapel jacket and pants with the white vest as recommended in the picture posted by comrade

7. robbersarb

robbersarb Active Member

You're going in the right direction with the detachable collar shirt but I wouldn't recommend the white waistcoat. By the 1920s it was frowned upon because it just isn't as flattering as a black one with black tie!
    The other small point I'd make is that bow ties in those days were smaller and the wings on the collars were much larger.
    If you're really trying to get it exactly right then take a look on the black tie guide. It's a very good website and has a complete history of the ensemble including the 1920s.