• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage images, a blast from the past

doughboysc

Reaction score
B1b0H0Z+LgS._SL600_.jpg

The ever popular Aussie folk-rock group The Seekers in the 1960s. Keith Potger is the one holding the Sunburst Gibson B-45-12 guitar (same model that Gordon Lightfoot plays), Judith Durham, Bruce Woodley holding a 6 string guitar (IDK the model, sorry), and Athol Guy on the top. Great pose.

the-mamas-the-papas.gif

The Mamas & The Papas were the 1960s answer to ABBA. Pictured Mama Cass Elliott (deceased), Michelle Phillips (the lone surviving member today), Denny Doherty (deceased, also he was The Harbormaster on the CBC series in the 1990s Theodore Tugboat), and John Phillips (deceased). BTW they remind me of the cast of soon-to-be-defunct iCarly!

icarly-ibloop-clip.jpg

rs-four-oclock-april-6-1962.png

Tab collars were popular choice in the early-late 1960s (pre-Kipper tie era). The late Roger Sterling knows how to wear it.

YOLT%2BHerringbone%2B2.png

Sean Connery will always be the real James Bond in our hearts. Love his Turnbull & Asser sea island shirts.

FILE17419.JPG

1971%2BBCTV%2BThe%2BBold%2BOnes.jpg

Canadian TV ad for the NBC-TV 1969-1973 umbrella series The Bold Ones with future GMA emcee David Hartman, John Saxon (Enter The Dragon), and the late E.G. Marshall as Doctors.

FARENTINOBOLD.jpg

The recently deceased actor James Farentino was handsome as Neil Darrell in The Lawyers segment of The Bold Ones.

283007.jpg

The cast of Marcus Welby, M.D. in 1970. The late Robert Young, Elena Verdugo, and James Brolin (known nowadays as Mr. Babs!)

beatles.jpg

Everybody's favorite foursome from Liverpool. The Beatles in 1964. Timeless style from England you dig!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe that this look is now over 40 years old. I searched in vain for some stills from the movie of O'Neal walking in New York and standing in the travel agency window thinking about buying tickets to Paris in his gray DB overcoat. :inlove: but alas, it seems to be nonexistent.

doughboysc

Reaction score

Hard to believe that this look is now over 40 years old. I searched in vain for some stills from the movie of O'Neal walking in New York and standing in the travel agency window thinking about buying tickets to Paris in his gray DB overcoat. :inlove: but alas, it seems to be nonexistent.

Love Story (1970) was a true cult-classic tearjerker. But I felt sorry for Ryan O'Neal since he had cancer recently.

doughboysc

Reaction score
BTW, Dick Cavett is my favorite idol. I share the same birthday as the ex-talk show host himself. Did you know he started out as a writer for the late greats Jack Paar and Johnny Carson?

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

BTW, Dick Cavett is my favorite idol. I share the same birthday as the ex-talk show host himself. Did you know he started out as a writer for the late greats Jack Paar and Johnny Carson?

He complimented my work once, and it basically made my month.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You really met Dick Cavett in person?
BTW, He used to wear J. Press and John Weitz on his ABC shows from 1968-1975.
You really met Dick Cavett in person?
BTW, He used to wear J. Press and John Weitz on his ABC shows from 1968-1975.

I remember the J Press credit. but not the John Weitz. My memory of Weitz was that he sold
his name to low-end menswear makers. Certainly not the type of clothes Cavett favored.
Turns out Weitz was something of a renaissance man- serving in the OSS during World War 2,
etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/04/nyregion/john-weitz-79-fashion-designer-turned-historian-dies.html

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My memory of Weitz was that he sold his name to low-end menswear makers. Certainly not the type of clothes Cavett favored. Turns out Weitz was something of a renaissance man- serving in the OSS during World War 2, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/04/nyregion/john-weitz-79-fashion-designer-turned-historian-dies.html

Weitz was higher end at the mid-late 60s start, with lots of dashing sportswear that he modeled in his dashing sporting life -- racing cars, marrying movie star Susan Kohner (Imitation of Life), etc.

Before you maxed out on licensing in the 70s you had to have a brand & image to license, and he certainly did.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads