• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage images, a blast from the past

Snedley

Reaction score
say what you will about old Ronnie, the guy knew what looked good on him. I think he also purposely tried to match or complement Maggie's outfits, knowing it would make for more aesthetically pleasing photos.

He was a perfect 42(I've read) and preferred button flies on his trousers...old school.
Reagan was a 46L. A 42 is about the size of an average man. At 6'2" and atheletic there is no way that he'd fit into a 42. And btw, atheletic means the look of an Oylmpic swimmer.

johnvw

Reaction score

Reagan was a 46L. A 42 is about the size of an average man. At 6'2" and atheletic  there is no way that he'd fit into a 42. And btw, atheletic means the look of an Oylmpic swimmer.

May I ask, where did you ascertain this information?

Snedley

Reaction score
May I ask, where did you ascertain this information?
I was the the White House in '84 and got to meet and speak to him for a few minutes. I'm 5'11' and a 42R and could see that he was larger and about my father's size 46L and height 6'1"-6'2". No grown man at that height who is of normal proportions is going to be a 42. Reagan was a good atheletic 46

johnvw

Reaction score

I was the the White House in '84 and got to meet and speak to him for a few minutes. I'm 5'11' and a 42R and could see that he was larger and about my father's size 46L and height 6'1"-6'2". No grown man at that height who is of normal proportions is going to be a 42. Reagan was a good atheletic 46

Thank you, and congratulations on this experience.

doughboysc

Reaction score

Thank you, and congratulations on this experience.

I've heard the late Ronald Regan also wear shirts by Van Heusen, Brooks Brothers, and Turnbull & Asser. The late Frank Reynolds of ABC News liked Regan and he was upset that Regan was shot on March 30, 1981 and Frank thought Jim Brady died, and he got ticked off during the telecast of the special report.

Plus Regan was a notable wearer of the windsor knot which Agent 007 James Bond dislikes because it was the mark of a Cad.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet Reagan was both a 42 and 46.

In 1984, he was 73 years old and forty years past his Hollywood heyday. Like all of us, his size changed over time.

And now, your shirtless Reagan moment.

1940s:

1984, tossing a coconut:

One other factor in his suit size is that after he recovered from his 1981 assassination attempt, he went on an exercise kick.

According to an aide:

One of the things he did, I remember talking to him, he had a gym built in the mansion. He was always very strong in terms of exercise, so he started exercising very systematically. I remember one day I asked him, he said something about how he was so pleased with himself because--you know he was over 70 then--that he'd exercised and he had put on so much muscle that he had to get new suits. Increased his suit size, I think it was two sizes. He thought that was really terrific.

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm 5'11" and weigh 165, and I'm also a 42, so height and weight don't mean a whole lot. I have broad shoulders and a wide chest, and its not from working out. My late father in law was an athletic 6'3" and his jackets are too narrow for me.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Reagan was a 44, his tailor was a friend of mine. He used the same tailor since college. First the father, Albert and then the son, Frank Mariani.

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
6mdKq.jpg

FillW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
carygrant-db.png

Originally Posted by John Doe
I believe it's called a link front. That white double breasted white suit Cary Grant is wearing is
awesome!

And I believe that grin is his way of throwing the finger at SF'ers who are 'fraid of the pull!!

Doesn't that jacket seem kind of small?

BTW- I have a DB that fits me pretty much the same way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads