• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

actionjbone

Reaction score
All the talk about cowboy boots made me want to break out a pair today.

Here are my vintage eelskin boots, made in Mexico.

IMG_20240522_125432822_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20240522_131630424~2.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the talk about cowboy boots made me want to break out a pair today.

Here are my vintage eelskin boots, made in Mexico.

View attachment 2188473 View attachment 2188471
I like the color and last shape. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen eelskin in person. Sounds like a challenging material to make a boot from. That said, I find eels to be creepy and absolutely worthy of being made into boots (along with alligators, snakes and sharks).

actionjbone

Reaction score
I like the color and last shape. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen eelskin in person. Sounds like a challenging material to make a boot from. That said, I find eels to be creepy and absolutely worthy of being made into boots (along with alligators, snakes and sharks).
Technically, "eelskin" is made from hagfish, not eel.

But "hagfish" isn't a very appealing name. 🤣

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically, "eelskin" is made from hagfish, not eel.

But "hagfish" isn't a very appealing name. 🤣
Having just looked up hagfish, apparently also know by the even more unappealing name of “slime eel”, I feel strongly that they are even creepier and more deserving of become boot material.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you ever had eel? A few Chinese restaurants serve steamed eel in black bean sauce. You have to try it.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had eel? A few Chinese restaurants serve steamed eel in black bean sauce. You have to try it.
Yes, many times in unagi teriyaki form (as well the occasional unagi roll). That said I’ve never tried it in Chinese cuisine.

(Please note: if something can be made into shoes, it’s also probably on my menu of things I’ll eat.)

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day 2 of the NOS Hanover Montereys. Any tips on identifying production years on Hanover? Seems nebulous from what I have read here and cursory research.
Oh man… I seem to recall that we worked out some stuff oh Hanovers a while back, but now I can’t remember the details. Do I dare crawl the ancient pages of this thread? Does anyone remember?

sethrobert

Reaction score
Oh man… I seem to recall that we worked out some stuff oh Hanovers a while back, but now I can’t remember the details. Do I dare crawl the ancient pages of this thread? Does anyone remember?
I did figure out they are 80s-early 90s because they are master flex but will check back through and try and narrow it down more.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Yes, many times in unagi teriyaki form (as well the occasional unagi roll). That said I’ve never tried it in Chinese cuisine.

(Please note: if something can be made into shoes, it’s also probably on my menu of things I’ll eat.)
Longpig can totally be made into shoe leather.

I'd rather eat the eel, though.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell Hanover shortwings for WTW…
IMG_6097.jpeg
IMG_6099.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s approximate dating of that pair? Those have some awesomely kickass mongo gunboat soles going on. You could probably walk across an active lava field in those things.
I would guess 1989 based on date code and interior. I got them almost NOS (no more than two wear), so the soles had virtually no wear. They do appear on the thick side.
IMG_6100.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78