• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of shell Alden for BB that are totally kicking ******. As some may remember, they came to me dried out and caked with polish. I've been stripping them and brushing and brushing and stripping for several weeks now. Here's what's going on: I'll brush the shoes to bring out the oils. The texture of the shell goes from smooth and sort of glossy to waxy and tacky. I can then run a fingernail across the surface and accumulate cordovan-colored wax on my nail. So then I'll break out the nail polish remover (acetone) and cotton balls, scrubbing them good and hard. Most of this accumulation is on the toe caps and vamps. Here's what I'm left with:

20210225_101421.jpg

After the acetone the shoes are again smooth to the touch. But vigorous brushing brings the wax back to the surface. I bet I brushed and stripped 4 times last night.

What gives? Is that wax I'm bringing out or the shell's oils and dye?

Bertrand

Reaction score
Anybpho
I have a pair of shell Alden for BB that are totally kicking ******. As some may remember, they came to me dried out and caked with polish. I've been stripping them and brushing and brushing and stripping for several weeks now. Here's what's going on: I'll brush the shoes to bring out the oils. The texture of the shell goes from smooth and sort of glossy to waxy and tacky. I can then run a fingernail across the surface and accumulate cordovan-colored wax on my nail. So then I'll break out the nail polish remover (acetone) and cotton balls, scrubbing them good and hard. Most of this accumulation is on the toe caps and vamps. Here's what I'm left with:

View attachment 1562647

After the acetone the shoes are again smooth to the touch. But vigorous brushing brings the wax back to the surface. I bet I brushed and stripped 4 times last night.

What gives? Is that wax I'm bringing out or the shell's oils and dye?

perhaps some photos of the shoes?

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pondered all the variables and decided I had just best grab the damn things. I reached out with an offer and waited an hour but did not hear back. With almost any other shoe I would have waited out the auction and tried to snipe them, but I have lost nice shoes before when they suddenly became "unavailable" because someone else made a backdoor deal. I will sleep better knowing they are on their way here, as if I had lost them I would have been seriously miserable. My biggest collecting goal is to have all of my regular rotation shoes be Canadian and from the 50's. That might be impossible, but these shoes help the cause. I will post some better photos after I clean them up. I think they are really going to pop. They have nice bones.

I don't usually regret buying a pair. The regret is always in the pairs I pass up.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to believe we are all addicts here, cause I have the exact same feeling.

I can stop anytime. I don't have an addiction.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So... ummmm. If one of you guys are gonna drop some crazy coin on a pair of old shoes (like more than $100, for example). This would be a good pair to snag. These are not mine but I'd strongly encourage any 9E to watch this auction.

My Prediction Is those will go over $400. Maybe even over $500

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can stop anytime. I don't have an addiction.
Yeah, me too. I’m in complete control. Never tempted. Each time I say I’m going to stop and I don’t it’s because I changed my mind. So what...

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apropos our convo about the most expensive shoes we’ve purchased... I paid $42 shipped, after a large partial refund for these Florsheim Stratfords. They are a grail pair. I figured I’d do a recraft and I’d have a like-new pair. Tony Wyatt of Wyatt and Dad fame has them and is going to do the recraft plus some repairs. He and his colleagues do amazing work for a reasonable price. But, man, after the recraft and repairs these have become my most expensive vintage shoe purchase by a lot. This may cure my addiction for a bit. 9ED5109C-AF49-4AAF-8FE0-34255EB1DCA7.jpeg 44D5AC04-1284-4682-A716-CE2BED2F6EF5.jpeg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. I’m in complete control. Never tempted. Each time I say I’m going to stop and I don’t it’s because I changed my mind. So what...
I've been on a vintage watch buying binge over the past few days. Honestly, I don't know how many I've bought. I feel like I'm huffing paint.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads