• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently scored a VERY rough looking pair of these 1981 Polo for short money.
View attachment 1426377
Just a brutally dyed and extremely poorly cared for pair of shoes...
View attachment 1426378
So I sent them to Alberto Suarstez (insta: @patinaworksaz) to bring these back to life. I think that he did an incredible job with these!

I have a decent sized shoe collection that had neither a saddle nor blue shoe in the rotation so these are a pretty sweet addition. Definitely didn’t have any wildebeest either for that matter!
View attachment 1426383 View attachment 1426384 View attachment 1426385 View attachment 1426386

I am sending him 3 pairs. All LWBs - Nettleton, Hanover, and a beat up pair of Golden Harvest. Asking for purple, midnight blue, and haven't decided for last pair.

His work is fantastic.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sending him 3 pairs. All LWBs - Nettleton, Hanover, and a beat up pair of Golden Harvest. Asking for purple, midnight blue, and haven't decided for last pair.

His work is fantastic.
He really is! There are a few in those groups that do fantastic work but his truly stands out.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outstanding meme.
latest

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm generally opposed to capital punishment, but sometimes. . .

20200718_150914.jpg

20200718_150925.jpg

I've never seen two-tone boots like that before. And then someone goes and hacks them up.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Randolphs I pulled out of a Goodwill a couple of days ago cleaned up pretty good.
5B435DCB-32CA-4550-9EF9-AE261B2B779E_1_201_a.jpeg

These are 11 C and go live on the Bay in an hour.
19ADE88F-6902-4444-A75F-DB171CAE14FE_1_201_a.jpeg

I just wish they were my size. Anyway, wore some 70's vintage Alden 990s to Trader Joes with Mrs. Oyaji this afternoon.
10FB4ACA-22FF-4A74-8635-0DD5CDA0A40A_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Randolphs I pulled out of a Goodwill a couple of days ago cleaned up pretty good.
View attachment 1426648
These are 11 C and go live on the Bay in an hour.
View attachment 1426647
I just wish they were my size. Anyway, wore some 70's vintage Alden 990s to Trader Joes with Mrs. Oyaji this afternoon.
View attachment 1426649
What are those Randolphs doing at goodwill?!? They’re only like 3-4 years old and look like they don’t even have all that much wear on them! What, do people just drop 6 bills on a pair of shell loafers, then throw them in the goodwill bin after they get a bit dusty?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are those Randolphs doing at goodwill?!? They’re only like 3-4 years old and look like they don’t even have all that much wear on them! What, do people just drop 6 bills on a pair of shell loafers, then throw them in the goodwill bin after they get a bit dusty?
Short answer: yes. This is Silicon Valley.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm generally opposed to capital punishment, but sometimes. . .

View attachment 1426622

View attachment 1426623

I've never seen two-tone boots like that before. And then someone goes and hacks them up.
Though you might have dodged a bullet. Something about that leather and dye-job looks highly suspect. I’m not sure that leather is what it appears to be (though I could be wrong).
Xk73Qr2.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or.....

Wife found out the man was banging the maid. She cleared out his stuff and dumped them at the Goodwill.

Or......

Grandpa croaks. Grandkids can't be bothered to break a sweat. So they dump everything at Goodwill.

This is why in my will, my shoes have a special category. They are to be consigned by a reputable seller.

And @CWOyaji and @Oshare will continue running the shoe revival competition.

The lessons for a Saturday night? Don't cheat. And get a will. This is both personal and legal advice.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or.....

Wife found out the man was banging the maid. She cleared out his stuff and dumped them at the Goodwill.

Or......

Grandpa croaks. Grandkids can't be bothered to break a sweat. So they dump everything at Goodwill.

This is why in my will, my shoes have a special category. They are to be consigned by a reputable seller.

The lessons for a Saturday night? Don't cheat. And get a will. This is both personal and legal advice.
Consigned to a reputable seller? Hell no. I’m taking my shoes to the great beyond: they’re getting buried with me. Of course, this may well mean that I end up in a landfill in Staten Island, but these are the sacrifices we have to make.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, crazy right? And that store is in a downscale location, with a parking lot full of cracked asphalt. But it has yielded some great finds, including a pair of $10 Alden 987 black shell loafers in almost equally good condition, a $10 Hewlett Packard 42s scientific calculator
8492FE1C-DF00-4FE1-8E02-44F7B6BBDC94_4_5005_c.jpeg
and a whole lot of Loro Piana, Kiton and selvedge denim including the Samurai SO500XX jeans I wore today.

Last edited:

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This I have seen. Entire estate lots in thrifts are a thing, and sometimes the quality is outstanding. That's happened three times to me where I was able to buy a dozen or more quality vintage shoes and resell just a couple of pairs to recoup the outlay, then either wear or sell the rest. I work, so I don't have time to go to estate sales but I know people who do and they clean up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads