• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa... I watched that game on TV!

As for the Berwick, that’s just about the highest quality Polished Cobbler you’re likely to see on any pair of shoes:

These are my similar vintage Berwick’s, via @CWOyaji:
iRPtLur.jpg

Extreme close-up, excellent bend, super-tight creasing:
1JJxsdY.jpg

According to one of the catalogs, they sourced their PC from England.
Fantastic pair. I hope to find a burgundy too at some point. My previous impression with AE PC was the Walden loafer very plastic like. You are right this particular leather is truly excellent.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FU these are incredible. The MacGregor pattern might be my favorite bal pattern that they have.

What stands out to me on your pair is how well the medallion is positioned. That strand medallion could look a little crowded and pushed forward on the 65 last wings, particularly on narrower sizes. The proportions on the 97 are just perfect. What size are those?

edit: 14b. Just noticed.
Yup, Sasquatch feet. My nominal length is a 13.5, thanks to my big toes, but that means on AE lasts, I can generally do either a 13 C/D or a 14 B/C (depending on last) with negligible difference. I can even do a 14D, if the shoe hasn’t been stretched out (I generally don’t buy a used 14D, but my own few examples, purchased new by me, work just fine (so long as they’re a lace-up).

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fantastic pair. I hope to find a burgundy too at some point. My previous impression with AE PC was the Walden loafer very plastic like. You are right this particular leather is truly excellent.
You can do interesting stuff with Polished Cobbler, once it gets to terminal stage (as it’s still PU coated, it’ll eventually not look so awesome):

If you’ve never read the saga of de-correcting the grain, here it is:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1419384

A new addition to my 1986 Collection. This is the Allen Edmonds Berwick Longwing Tassel on the 97 last in Polished Cobbler.

The baseball is a foul ball I got from Game 4 of the 1986 World Series. Al Nipper was the pitcher and Lenny Dykstra hit the pitch in the 3rd inning at Fenway Park. Couple notable signatures on there too! Traumatic series for a 9 year old Sox fan but a pretty sweet memento to have all these years later.
That’s really cool. I remember that series well. I lived in Boston when they 86ed the curse. That city didn’t know what to do with itself.

DapperAndy

Reaction score
You can do interesting stuff with Polished Cobbler, once it gets to terminal stage (as it’s still PU coated, it’ll eventually not look so awesome):

If you’ve never read the saga of de-correcting the grain, here it is:

That was nuts to follow-along!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by a couple of pairs of C&J on the Bay, and I'm hoping to get input about the quality and fit from any brother(s) who know something about them. The first is the Trafford model. They are listed as 8D UK; 9D US.

The second is a pair of C&J for RL Polo:

Are these worth considering?

I have a few pairs of Polo C&Js from the early 21c. The names used are Polo but are copies of the UK standard models. Mine get constant use after the application of the obligatory Topy.

They essentially were up-specced to C&J handgrade standard shoes but cleverly sold for bench grade prices in those days (like USD250).

The fit though was more American so I can wear a 10.5D US for my (usual) UK 10 feet (comfortably tight) but US11 is spot on for me.

Some of the colours (like British tan) were also factored in specifically for the US market.

One of the great buys IMHO if they are not trashed or brutalized in the last 15 years and have sat unloved in a closet.

Last edited:

DapperAndy

Reaction score

happypebble

Reaction score
Vintage Florsheim white/ivory loafers. Shipped from Florida, exactly where you'd expect these old man shoes to be...I imagine a previous owner driving a golf cart around a FL retirement community. Wow, are these ever comfortable; lightweight without feeling cheap, and the materials seem to be good quality, with minimal wear. Leather is quite soft. These have obviously been cared for, so I will do my best to maintain them well and not trash them. Fit is correct. I guess I really am a 13D, as much as I might experiment with other sizes. They have just enough wear that I don't find myself in the "too nice to wear" dilemma. I guess I'm officially old now. Get off my lawn!
20200707_040606.jpg
20200707_040525.jpg
20200707_040450.jpg
20200707_040546.jpg

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads