• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow,I knew Church’s hasn’t been well regarded since the Prada regime,but I never checked it out since I’m always looking at vintage Church’s. I had assumed a general decline in quality,maybe a few “fashion forward “ additions but Damn!—that stuff you posted could be considered criminal,to do that to the reputations of the generations of highly respected craftsmen is sad indeed
It's borderline criminal.

Also, what kind of person buys a fake worn, vintage shoe? That's like Inception levels of disingenuousness and inauthenticity. Why not just buy an ACTUAL vintage shoe? Or wear your new shoes until they develop that worn patina? If you look at that shoe, they went to all the trouble of making it curled, for goodness sake, and making the suede matted and ruined along with the welt line and heel stack. A lot of effort to a make a fake used shoe?! What the hell is going on in the world?!?!?!? Seriously... WTF!???!? A 500 dollar shoe so trust fund fauxhemian douchebags can you can LOOK like they THRIFTED it!? THOSE SHOES ACTUALLY MAKE ME ANGRY!

Clint-Eastwood-Angry-600x400.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Hinsdale. These are probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
View attachment 1015006 View attachment 1015007 View attachment 1015008

Have you ever recrafted shoes with an independent cobbler? If so, who do you use/prefer? And how would you compare cobbler Vs factory recraft?

I have only used Church's refurbishment service, in terms of manufacturing original. Never again. Way overpriced. I am lucky I have found a few very skilled cobblers in Canada who know what they are doing.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, they did an excellent job on the recraft. Very tight outsole stitch. That’s a fantastic pair of loafers.

I have seen some horrendous results from AE's recraft service via the Facebook AE group.

But I do agree this pair was done properly.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen some horrendous results from AE's recraft service via the Facebook AE group.

But I do agree this pair was done properly.
They’ve very recently (from what I’ve seen), clamped down on recraft quality issues pretty hard. One of the big changes, for example, is they are matching the outsole stitching density to original spec, something they hadn’t been doing for a long time.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’ve very recently (from what I’ve seen), clamped down on recraft quality issues pretty hard. One of the big changes, for example, is they are matching the outsole stitching density to original spec, something they hadn’t been doing for a long time.

If things turn around, I might try them. Otherwise my roster of cobblers is decent.

It takes me about 10 years to wear out the soles. Heels usually half that time. So I'd rather the recraft be done properly even if it costs a little more.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If things turn around, I might try them. Otherwise my roster of cobblers is decent.

It takes me about 10 years to wear out the soles. Heels usually half that time. So I'd rather the recraft be done properly even if it costs a little more.
IMHO, you only send them back to the factory for the whole shebang: full relasting for welt replacement, refinishing and so forth. For soles I’ll go to my cobbler. If I’ve got something really tricky such as vintage non-AE or I want a vintage correct mongo-soles and contrast stitch, I’d go to B.Nelson over on 55th.

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
So the Ebay sourced Stuart McGuire shell PTBs arrived today. Although they fit TTS, they are significantly wider than my Leeds of the same size. I suspect the SM last is closer to Alden’s barrie last. The SMs are super dark; almost black. Probably dyed by SM. They also look like an acrylic finish was applied, much like Alden. I'm guessing SM was trying to replicate Alden's PTB. I haven't tried to strip or clean them inasmuch as I haven't decided if I'm going to keep them. Looks like the welt is some plastic, man made material. Here's a picture next to my AE Leeds that need to be conditioned and shined.
20180806_213700.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78