• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone recognize the maker on these boots? No insole or interior markings. Vintage vibes and sole seems too dressy with taps for a modern boot, right? View attachment 1015236
View attachment 1015237
With approximately 150 nails in that sole and heel stack, five nail metal taps, and what appears to be some heavy duty effort, I’m going to say the sole and heel stack is the work of a master cobbler. The actual boots look like a fine quality vintage pair, but my gut says those soles were post-factory.

PSU John

Reaction score
With approximately 150 nails in that sole and heel stack, five nail metal taps, and what appears to be some heavy duty effort, I’m going to say the sole and heel stack is the work of a master cobbler. The actual boots look like a fine quality vintage pair, but my gut says those soles were post-factory.

Looks to me like the sole is attached using multiple wooden pegs, which I believe is a lost art these days

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was going to post that as my gut feeling. But didn't want to speak out of turn, and look like a fool.

And now, I support this expert deduction.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was going to post that as my gut feeling. But didn't want to speak out of turn, and look like a fool.

I'm gonna say they're original. The wear to the uppers is pretty minimal and looks like it could mostly be from storage. You've got 3 crowns stamped on the sole and 3 crowns on the upper top of the right boot. Someone noted on the thrift thread that this is a symbol used for the Swedish military.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna say they're original. The wear to the uppers is pretty minimal and looks like it could mostly be from storage. The 3 crowns stamp on the sole matches the 3 crown that can be seen at the upper top of the right boot.

I'm no expert, but also throw this in for consideration: The nails in the heel are not evenly matched or set up. I doubt a manufacturer would've let this slip out, especially back in the day.

But I'd love to know what others think. The boots definitely look like they are lightly, if worn at all.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ORLThrifter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, all. Based on all this great information, and some light searching, I'm leaning towards mid-1940's Swedish military boots. It'll take some more digging, but you all have pointed out great information that I wouldn't have known! Much obliged.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m not sure I’m exactly an expert. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’m just guessing (and I’ll have you know, I don’t just look like a fool). That said, I’ve only ever seen that level of sole work done by a really good (OCD) cobbler. That’s a lot of carefully spaced nails. The quality of the uppers, while good, seems incongruent with the sole and heel stack.

However, this in no way constitutes an expert opinion.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but also throw this in for consideration: The nails in the heel are not evenly matched or set up. I doubt a manufacturer would've let this slip out, especially back in the day.

But I'd love to know what others think. The boots definitely look like they are lightly, if worn at all.
These have the same wood peg attachment, but, as you can see, not the cleanest work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-m...g_cvip=true&nordt=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Could be that the military got factory rejects on the cheap.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78