• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4F69C967-3539-46B1-B455-0C71CDCCB4ED.jpeg Mason Velvet-eeze for church and on to ramen afterwards.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have had to cut back on domestics here at the palatial smfdoc palace. Down to a butler, cook, valet, two footmen and one maid. Old money does not go as far as it used to. Others may have to be let go, but I insist on keeping the maid.

View attachment 931806

I am sure the maid is very skilled at helping you "let go."

actionjbone

Reaction score
Just finished restoring these. American-made J&M Aristocraft of indeterminate age, $5.50 from a thrift store.

IMG_20180225_143402135.jpg IMG_20180225_143510713.jpg
They were this color when I found them, but it was from years of overpolishing. Badly water stained and blotchy, with a toe scuff through the finish on the left and some mild gashes on the right.

They were actually light brown under all the polish! After stripping, decided to dye them back to the color I'd found them.

This was my first dye job, and I'm pretty satisfied with how they came out.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was my second pair of Florsheim 93631 Golden Harvests. I bought them years ago. They weren't my size but I used them to work on cleaning and polishing techniques. I probably spent 20 hours on them. And later sold them on ebay for $65. Not a lucrative hobby. But fun. Sometimes.

The color on the pair was fantastic.

IMG_2509.JPG
IMG_2524.jpg
2015-03-15 20.13.21.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 932014 Speaking of letting go, these beauties are on their way to a new owner across the country. Too big for me, but I was considering keeping them because they’re just too damn sexy to let go of. But, they should see the world :inlove:.

Brand? Size?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was my second pair of Florsheim 93631 Golden Harvests. I bought them years ago. They weren't my size but I used them to work on cleaning and polishing techniques. I probably spent 20 hours on them. And later sold them on ebay for $65. Not a lucrative hobby. But fun. Sometimes.

The color on the pair was fantastic.

View attachment 932029 View attachment 932033 View attachment 932031

The Oxford definition of "hobby" is a side distraction that is a time waster and money drainer. And will allow one to associate with other weirdos.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Oxford definition of "hobby" is a side distraction that is a time waster and money drainer. And will allow one to associate with other weirdos.

The record should clearly reflect that you are amongst some of the finest, most knowledgeable, and most entertaining weirdos that I've had the honour of associating with.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My two shoe restoration projects today. A pair of vintage 1980 (code: 'FA') Florsheim 93602's after Lexol, Saphir Renomat and Saphir shoe cream. This was from a collection I thrifted of over a dozen vintage 80's and 90's Florsheim including 3 shell LWB's and one walnut Church's Chetwynd. James Bond shoes. PPU $9. And below, a pair of Alden shell 990's traded for with another SF'er. These I've put on Lexol, neatsfoot oil, Saphir Renomat and neatsfoot over two days. Before I put cordovan shoe cream on them, should I just be content with how dark they are or is there another approach? It would be nice if they were lighter. Any suggestions welcome, these are my size and for personal use BTW. Thanks!
fullsizeoutput_c01.jpeg

Last edited:

actionjbone

Reaction score
Before I put cordovan shoe cream on these, should I just be content with how dark they are or is there another approach? It would be nice if they were lighter I think. Any suggestions welcome, these are my size and for personal use BTW. Thanks!

Neatsfoot oil darkens shell cordovan (and most leathers, really). When I oil mine, it takes 2-3 days for them to start lightening up again.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neatsfoot oil darkens shell cordovan (and most leathers, really). When I oil mine, it takes 2-3 days for them to start lightening up again.
Thanks. The kind I used was Lexol Non-Darkening Neatsfoot but I think I will wait for a few days to see how they look when it's absorbed. If the final result ends up looking like my Hanover PTB's which I did a similar restore on recently, I'll be happy:
fullsizeoutput_a77.jpeg

Last edited:

stevenmgrr

Reaction score
s-l1600-11.jpg
s-l1600-12.jpg
Found these NOS 92604 Kenmoors on eBay in my size so I had to get them. One thing that I wanted to ask you guys about though is the finish on these. They are new, but the pebble grain texture looks more "aggressive" than some of the other pairs that I've seen in black. Also they are a bit more shiny. Is this simply because they are new and not worn in?

Steve

LLEE

Reaction score
Brand? Size?
Sorry, should have mentioned they are indeed some 10 Dack’s I picked up not all that long ago. I badly wanted them to fit, but just too big. I actually thought of extending an offer to you but recall you being a differing size.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, should have mentioned they are indeed some 10 Dack’s I picked up not all that long ago. I badly wanted them to fit, but just too big. I actually thought of extending an offer to you but recall you being a differing size.

Thanks. For Dacks and Canadian shoes, I am 8.5 or 9 G

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads