1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

4F69C967-3539-46B1-B455-0C71CDCCB4ED.jpeg Mason Velvet-eeze for church and on to ramen afterwards.

2. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

I am sure the maid is very skilled at helping you "let go."

3. LLEE

LLEE Senior Member

E4C8722A-5ADD-4D7F-B3B2-347635274A47.jpeg Speaking of letting go, these beauties are on their way to a new owner across the country. Too big for me, but I was considering keeping them because they’re just too damn sexy to let go of. But, they should see the world :inlove:.

4. flipstah

flipstah Distinguished Member

VCleat.com is awesome! Taught me how to do antiquing on my brogues!

DSC_0130.JPG

5. actionjbone

actionjbone Senior Member

Just finished restoring these. American-made J&M Aristocraft of indeterminate age, $5.50 from a thrift store.

IMG_20180225_143402135.jpg IMG_20180225_143510713.jpg
    They were this color when I found them, but it was from years of overpolishing. Badly water stained and blotchy, with a toe scuff through the finish on the left and some mild gashes on the right.

They were actually light brown under all the polish! After stripping, decided to dye them back to the color I'd found them.

This was my first dye job, and I'm pretty satisfied with how they came out.

6. davidVC

davidVC Senior Member

This was my second pair of Florsheim 93631 Golden Harvests. I bought them years ago. They weren't my size but I used them to work on cleaning and polishing techniques. I probably spent 20 hours on them. And later sold them on ebay for $65. Not a lucrative hobby. But fun. Sometimes.

The color on the pair was fantastic.

IMG_2509.JPG IMG_2524.jpg 2015-03-15 20.13.21.jpg

7. suitforcourt

Brand? Size?

8. suitforcourt

The Oxford definition of "hobby" is a side distraction that is a time waster and money drainer. And will allow one to associate with other weirdos.

9. suitforcourt

The record should clearly reflect that you are amongst some of the finest, most knowledgeable, and most entertaining weirdos that I've had the honour of associating with.

10. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Senior Member

My two shoe restoration projects today. A pair of vintage 1980 (code: 'FA') Florsheim 93602's after Lexol, Saphir Renomat and Saphir shoe cream. This was from a collection I thrifted of over a dozen vintage 80's and 90's Florsheim including 3 shell LWB's and one walnut Church's Chetwynd. James Bond shoes. PPU $9. And below, a pair of Alden shell 990's traded for with another SF'er. These I've put on Lexol, neatsfoot oil, Saphir Renomat and neatsfoot over two days. Before I put cordovan shoe cream on them, should I just be content with how dark they are or is there another approach? It would be nice if they were lighter. Any suggestions welcome, these are my size and for personal use BTW. Thanks!
    fullsizeoutput_c01.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

11. actionjbone

actionjbone Senior Member

Neatsfoot oil darkens shell cordovan (and most leathers, really). When I oil mine, it takes 2-3 days for them to start lightening up again.

12. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Senior Member

Thanks. The kind I used was Lexol Non-Darkening Neatsfoot but I think I will wait for a few days to see how they look when it's absorbed. If the final result ends up looking like my Hanover PTB's which I did a similar restore on recently, I'll be happy:
    fullsizeoutput_a77.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018

13. stevenmgrr

stevenmgrr Active Member

s-l1600-11.jpg s-l1600-12.jpg Found these NOS 92604 Kenmoors on eBay in my size so I had to get them. One thing that I wanted to ask you guys about though is the finish on these. They are new, but the pebble grain texture looks more "aggressive" than some of the other pairs that I've seen in black. Also they are a bit more shiny. Is this simply because they are new and not worn in?

Steve

14. LLEE

LLEE Senior Member

Sorry, should have mentioned they are indeed some 10 Dack’s I picked up not all that long ago. I badly wanted them to fit, but just too big. I actually thought of extending an offer to you but recall you being a differing size.

15. suitforcourt

Thanks. For Dacks and Canadian shoes, I am 8.5 or 9 G