• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.Photog

Reaction score
Celebrating the 29th anniversary of meeting my wife tonight, so wearing shoes only a bit older than that... :)
BKc03YS.jpg

Congratulations, you were married on my tenth anniversary.;) I am 58 now and my wife 56 now, I am from a time when you married whoever you took to the prom.:bigstar:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the "It's good to almost be the King" department, comes these fashion and footwear tidbits about HRH Prince Charles. These are from the book "Not in front of the Corgis."

Prince Charles employs 133 staff to look after him and Camilla, more than 60 of them domestics: chefs, cooks, footmen, housemaids, gardeners, chauffeurs, cleaners, and his three personal valets—gentleman’s gentlemen—whose sole responsibility is the care of their royal master’s extensive wardrobe and choosing what he is to wear on any particular day. A serving soldier polishes the prince’s boots and shoes every day—he has 50 handmade pairs each costing over £800 ($1275) by Lobb of St James’s—and a housemaid washes his underwear as soon as it is discarded.

Nothing Charles or Camilla wears is ever allowed near a washing machine. Particular attention is paid to handkerchiefs, which are monogrammed and again all hand-washed, as it was found that when they were sent to a laundry, some would go missing—as souvenirs. HRH’s suits, of which he has 60, cost more than £3,000 ($4780) each, and his shirts, all handmade, cost £350 ($558) a time (he has more than 200), while his collar stiffeners are solid gold or silver. Charles’s valets also iron the laces of his shoes whenever they are taken off.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the "It's good to almost be the King" department, comes these fashion and footwear tidbits about HRH Prince Charles. These are from the book "Not in front of the Corgis."

Prince Charles employs 133 staff to look after him and Camilla, more than 60 of them domestics: chefs, cooks, footmen, housemaids, gardeners, chauffeurs, cleaners, and his three personal valets—gentleman’s gentlemen—whose sole responsibility is the care of their royal master’s extensive wardrobe and choosing what he is to wear on any particular day. A serving soldier polishes the prince’s boots and shoes every day—he has 50 handmade pairs each costing over £800 ($1275) by Lobb of St James’s—and a housemaid washes his underwear as soon as it is discarded.

Nothing Charles or Camilla wears is ever allowed near a washing machine. Particular attention is paid to handkerchiefs, which are monogrammed and again all hand-washed, as it was found that when they were sent to a laundry, some would go missing—as souvenirs. HRH’s suits, of which he has 60, cost more than £3,000 ($4780) each, and his shirts, all handmade, cost £350 ($558) a time (he has more than 200), while his collar stiffeners are solid gold or silver. Charles’s valets also iron the laces of his shoes whenever they are taken off.

I just had someone write a guest post on my website about Royal Warrants. In April 2017, Prince Charles granted a Warrant to Crockett & Jones, so a few pairs of those must be making their way into his rotation. He granted his very first Royal Warrant to Turnbull & Asser for his shirts.

This website is an interesting read if you're curious about which companies hold Royal Warrants

https://www.royalwarrant.org

Covers everything from tartans to ties to dress fabrics to alcohol to wrapping paper.

Some useless but fun information for a Saturday afternoon! :colgate:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Polishes his boots and shoes everyday? Talk about first world problems!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to have that job.
How hard can that be to touch up a pair or two of shoes each day?

That's a great point. Someone from our group should apply. Then sell us the shoes that the Prince no longer wants.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, you were married on my tenth anniversary.;) I am 58 now and my wife 56 now, I am from a time when you married whoever you took to the prom.:bigstar:
Our 25th wedding anniversary is this coming December ;)

M.Photog

Reaction score
Our 25th wedding anniversary is this coming December ;)

I misread your comment. I thought that today was your wedding anniversary. I'm to busy hitting the like button for all the facebook comments on the picture my wife posted. 150 comments and the evening isn't over yet..:)

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based on the shoes listed in his signature, @smfdoc is well within striking distance of HRH's 50 pair collection.

But @smfdoc doesn't list his servants so I am not sure if he can beat Charles in that category.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the shoes listed in his signature, @smfdoc is well within striking distance of HRH's 50 pair collection.

But @smfdoc doesn't list his servants so I am not sure if he can beat Charles in that category.

For fair compensation, I'd be happy to be a servant and shine someone's shoes. Not a hard job and no stress.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We have had to cut back on domestics here at the palatial smfdoc palace. Down to a butler, cook, valet, two footmen and one maid. Old money does not go as far as it used to. Others may have to be let go, but I insist on keeping the maid.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 10.55.50 AM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics