• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people seeing in online auctions with respect to prices? Is it a good time to buy? Are closing prices lower due to people being more worried about basic necessities (not shoes!?)? Or are prices higher because there are more people out there buying online since they can't go out? No difference? What would you expect to be the actual case?

I feel like prices are possibly lower but I don’t think there’s much being listed.

That seems to be my experience anyway.

I would imagine at some point some people may decide to offload whatever they don’t use much.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was there a promo code in addition to the sale?

This is what I see:

Screenshot_20200326-153546_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Hey all, dropping in from my usual 'hood in the thrift thread to share these NOS English House Shoes from Fortnum & Mason. Quite surprised to see them at an estate sale. The font and printing make them look like they're decades old, yet unworn. Nothing much showing up online, so I respectfully submit them to the expertise of this thread. Anyone got intel?

5198 - 2.jpg
5198 - 7.jpg
5198 - 8.jpg
5198 - 11.jpg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Top five things to do while under shelter in place restrictions:
1. Organize accumulated treasures a la Marie Kondo

On the bright side, I bet there's millions of people Kondoing the **** out of their houses right about now, and there'll be a glut of cool finds at thrift stores nationwide in a few months. At least that's what keeps me going. . .

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
While I'm posting here, this is one I've been meaning to share with this group: decided to make a 4-hour round trip to a little local live auction a few weeks back after seeing this image in their ad (along with a few other things). Might there be shell in there?
20200116_155221.jpg

Sho'nuff, it worked out. In the box lot were two pairs of Florries. A relatively worthless pair of loafers on the left, but on the right, a super-rare example of minty 76424 LWBs in #8 shell. I've never seen 76424s before, and I believe they were usually in brown.
1-19 - 1.jpeg

1-19 - 2.jpeg

1-19 - 3.jpeg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a flyer on this pair of Arnold Glove Grip alligator loafers this afternoon; $50 shipped. While it is a bit hard to fathom, I believe they date from the 1950's or earlier. Arnold Glove Grip shoes were advertised from the 1870's to 1960, and their factory was located in the heart of American shoe country at North Abington, Massachusetts, just south of Boston. This pair has hidden stitching and a lovely tucked waste with remarkable thick soles for loafers. Size 8 D/B.

s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Last edited:

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hey all, dropping in from my usual 'hood in the thrift thread to share these NOS English House Shoes from Fortnum & Mason. Quite surprised to see them at an estate sale. The font and printing make them look like they're decades old, yet unworn. Nothing much showing up online, so I respectfully submit them to the expertise of this thread. Anyone got intel?

View attachment 1361633 View attachment 1361634 View attachment 1361635 View attachment 1361636
Yeah. My dad had a pair like that. They are typical British carpet slippers, his were in black though. They were probably made for Fortnum’s by one of the Northampton shoemakers in the ‘70’s. fortnum and Mason was/is a high end department store in London. My dad had horrible feet with awful hammer toes which did not do well in quality sleek shoes. Sadly, he always chose sleek shoes from Barker which never quite worked!

kilowatts

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1361633 View attachment 1361634 View attachment 1361635 View attachment 1361636

Older top line croc - big belly tiles - plus lizard vamps from a high end UK store. Gold! Normally they would be worn accompanied by a cup of their famous tea.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While I'm posting here, this is one I've been meaning to share with this group: decided to make a 4-hour round trip to a little local live auction a few weeks back after seeing this image in their ad (along with a few other things). Might there be shell in there?
20200116_155221.jpg

Sho'nuff, it worked out. In the box lot were two pairs of Florries. A relatively worthless pair of loafers on the left, but on the right, a super-rare example of minty 76424 LWBs in #8 shell. I've never seen 76424s before, and I believe they were usually in brown.
1-19 - 1.jpeg

1-19 - 2.jpeg

1-19 - 3.jpeg

The giveaway was the clean shoe bags = little use logically ergo for the shoes. The IQ level and perspicacity of the posters on this from is outstanding...just sayin' :cool:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20200116_155221.jpg

1-19 - 1.jpeg

1-19 - 2.jpeg

1-19 - 3.jpeg

If you're looking to sell this pair, let me know!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads