• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m inclined to agree. At that price I’d bail with even one questionable picture. This has several, and that number doesn’t match the number I have for Hanover Longwings.
My list, however, is woefully out of date. It doesn’t even include the vintage J&M wingtips that I found a few days ago and still need to post. mine is based on an old Shell Hunters post on AAAC, what is currently the most comprehensive?

This is the most comprehensive site I've found on the webz, but it's not complete. I have added a couple pairs to his listing by submitting photos of the shoes in question. Whoever runs the page is very amenable to updating if you can document the maker/model in question.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling AE shell Cambridge owners @eTrojan ... how’s the fit? I think they are on the 5 last, which is a little narrow for me. But shell tends to be more forgiving, I think. Any thoughts?

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wearing these 1940s winthrop spectators. I got these on eBay a few years ago for $15. They were listed as “funky 70s shoes.” View attachment 1325344
Sweet pair!

I love horribly misinformed eBay listings.

I keep my fingers crossed that I will stumble upon something like that myself.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling AE shell Cambridge owners @eTrojan ... how’s the fit? I think they are on the 5 last, which is a little narrow for me. But shell tends to be more forgiving, I think. Any thoughts?

Yes, shell is more forgiving. I wear a 13 A in the 65 last, but all three of my Cambridge are 13 AA and are pretty comforable.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have shoes on the 5 last and just last week I tried on the Strand in Shell. It fit the same for me as my Park Avenue. I’m sure you know the 5 (65) last is long and narrow.

the Cambridge and the strand in Shell are great looking. I’m really restraining myself from getting the Strand in brown Shell.

I know a few folks have navy shoes. What do you wear them with? Khaki? What else? Would they look weird with navy?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about some Golden Harvest?

I have bought a 4-5 pairs of shoes from this seller, he is very professional. He has very nice inventory and describes them accurately in my experience.

Also what is the difference between the Duckie Brown and regular Florsheim? I’m talking about the recent ones? Were they really that much better?

Last edited:

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
How about some Golden Harvest?

I have bought a 4-5 pairs of shoes from this seller, he is very professional. He has very nice inventory and describes them accurately in my experience.

Also what is the difference between the Duckie Brown and regular Florsheim? I’m talking about the recent ones? Were they really that much better?

This is the seller from whom I bought the 93605s I posted a few days back. I highly recommend him as well. If anyone is interested in this pair feel free to reach out to me. It's possible to reach him off Ebay.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pulling that whole thread together. I was over at @Paul902 house this morning for tea. I think we were talking past each other a bit yesterday. He has the exact pair of shoes except that they are "The McHale Shoe". The "McHale Shoe" was the McHale plant's second quality level offering, behind the John McHale Signature line (also called the Custom Shoe at times). Paul's McHale version of this shoe is most certainly made from water bison, while the Florsheim labelled version is indeed embossed calf. This is the typical pattern that you see after 1958 when Interco bought McHale and Florsheims started to be made in the same facility. They seem to have kept the McHale and John McHale shoes a step up in quality and price from the similar offering of Florsheim Blue Label and Imperials.

Nothing but the best for old JJ, eh? Do we have any advertisements for Florsheim or McHale exotics in the same time period? Would be interesting to see how the pricing compares.

Jim and I enjoyed a cuppa, a good chat, and went 0-3 on the hunting grounds in my part of the city. We searched high and low for calf shoes at my house, and also went 0-3 on that one.

IMG_7290.JPG

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look like they're in really good shape. The price is higher than I would pay (especially with three pairs already in the closet), but it is a fair price for those shoes.
Thanks for the input. I grabbed them for $149 shipped. The seller agreed to knock $30 off. I’ve been wanting a pair of these for a long time. I’ve been on a buying binge lately and I need to slow down. All are great shoes - shell JM saddles; AE shark Wartons; near NOS 93602s that I got for an incredible deal; and now AE shell Cambridge.

Last edited:

Philby

Reaction score
Can I briefly ask for some serious advice? I have been paranoid about shoe fit for a while, particularly with vintage shoes. I have quite wide feet stubborn toes, so that the widest part of my foot is effectively the toe box. That means that many shoes will be practically unwearable as they are squashing my toes (my dark brown suede pair has given some space where the little toe hits, as is visible). Should I just continue as before and seek wide pairs, or can I also size up a bit allow for some extra room in the toe box like with these Alfred Sargents? Some perspective on this would be helpful.

Attachments

• 20200127_222219.jpg
    20200127_222219.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200127_233958.jpg
    20200127_233958.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 24

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few wide footed chaps in here including myself. 9.5EEE and my right foot is probably EEEe. LB Sheppard signatures usually fit too narrow in the toe box for me and I can get away with 10EEE in those. Vintage Florsheims are generally good TTS for me. Up-sizing can result in heel slip. Nettletons are generous and up-sizing is no good at all. Also vintage sizing is not always consistent. I have also used a stretcher with the bunion knobs placed where my pinkie toes hit for a little extra room on fabulous shoes that pinch. It's really a trial and error. And I haven't been any help to you at all.

actionjbone

Reaction score
This is the most comprehensive site I've found on the webz, but it's not complete. I have added a couple pairs to his listing by submitting photos of the shoes in question. Whoever runs the page is very amenable to updating if you can document the maker/model in question.

For the record, it's run by @davidVC

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads