• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wearing these 1940s winthrop spectators. I got these on eBay a few years ago for $15. They were listed as “funky 70s shoes.” View attachment 1325344

Those are amazing. And I am amazed with your ability to find pairs so old in your size.

I have one 1940s pair of FootJoys that are similar. I rarely wear them though. Can't imagine someone resoling them.

How do you care for the white/cream upper?

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, it's run by @davidVC

Yes I maintain the Shell Cordovan list. I put up the page when the old site expired.

I add pairs I find on ebay. I also get occasional emails to add models to the list. I ask requestors to supply a photo(s) to verify. Sometimes I get ebay sellers trying to get their pair on the list when clearly the pair is not Shell Cordovan. Not all that is shiny and burgundy is gold.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I maintain the Shell Cordovan list. I put up the page when the old site expired.

I add pairs I find on ebay. I also get occasional emails to add models to the list. I ask requestors to supply a photo(s) to verify. Sometimes I get ebay sellers trying to get their pair on the list when clearly the pair is not Shell Cordovan. Not all that is shiny and burgundy is gold.
Honestly curious why you maintain the list separately and don’t pull it into your main site?

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly curious why you maintain the list separately and don’t pull it into your main site?
That's a good question. I think i kept them separate because vcleat.com is focused on North American vintage while the Shell list has a bit of everything. Like modern Viberg boots.

The list is getting long. 1271 models.

happypebble

Reaction score
Just for the record, I'd love a pair of Corfam shoes...they're so of their time. Unfortunately, American men of the Sixties were plagued by an epidemic of teeny tiny feet...all the Corfams on eBay are like 8.5

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Just for the record, I'd love a pair of Corfam shoes...they're so of their time. Unfortunately, American men of the Sixties were plagued by an epidemic of teeny tiny feet...all the Corfams on eBay are like 8.5

I posted these the other day as a warning that they are corfam and not shell. You're a 10, right? I will admit that I'm reluctant to post these again considering I took a few minutes to inform that the seller that they were incorrectly listed. Obviously they are way overpriced.

happypebble

Reaction score
I posted these the other day as a warning that they are corfam and not shell. You're a 10, right? I will admit that I'm reluctant to post these again considering I took a few minutes to inform that the seller that they were incorrectly listed.

No sir. I'm a 13D, which makes things tricky with vintage shoes. In my next life I'm coming back as a size 8.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did I buy a dog?

Absolutely not. B Mason is a tier 2 brand, but still well made. I have a pair and they remain one of the favourites in my collection. They fit TTS.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are amazing. And I am amazed with your ability to find pairs so old in your size.

I have one 1940s pair of FootJoys that are similar. I rarely wear them though. Can't imagine someone resoling them.

How do you care for the white/cream upper?

Thank you! I really don’t do much in terms of maintenance on that part. I initially cleaned it up with a suede brush and gentle use of a suede eraser. I find that suede/nubuck doesn’t need moisturizing the way regular leather does, but I’ll sometimes apply some conditioner from the inside.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have received my NOS Footjoy. They even came with some very nice vintage shoe trees for $75 all in.

They are very impressive quality and made me less guilty about the impulse buy.

I like the bevelled waist and the spade like sole shape.

View attachment 1325585
View attachment 1325584
View attachment 1325583
View attachment 1325586

I have a very similar in black. I was going to remove the kiltie (skirt) because I thought it was just laced on. But, it is seen to the tongue.

I was considering removing the kiltie and having them resoled. But, they are a little boring being just black.

Here they are with the kiltie tucked in.

66D807F9-8CD6-497B-90B9-7146777B4A28.jpeg

I still want to try to turn a pair into regular dress shoes. But, I think it is only worth it if the end result is different and interesting.

Maybe a pair of the orangey cognac with green saddle? Like these — thanks to @davidVC for great pictures of vintage FJ on the website!

ED9C86E5-8AB3-4392-9581-F1B436C893F6.jpeg

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I have a very similar in black. I was going to remove the kiltie (skirt) because I thought it was just laced on. But, it is seen to the tongue.

I was considering removing the kiltie and having them resoled. But, they are a little boring being just black.

Here they are with the kiltie tucked in.

View attachment 1325811

I still want to try to turn a pair into regular dress shoes. But, I think it is only worth it if the end result is different and interesting.

Maybe a pair of the orangey cognac with green saddle? Like these — thanks to @davidVC for great pictures of vintage FJ on the website!

View attachment 1325812

David's article keeps me searching for Footjoy. FJ made so many interesting patterns.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today’s selection is brought to you by the letter C as in chili. I wasn’t sure what color might work for these. They are one of my pairs of 93602. I had some AE dark chili cream polish, so I tried it. I did not think these would end up so dark. But, I think I like them!

The polish definitely brought out the mahogany tones.

773E1D02-3845-4228-A498-992EF2F7186F.jpeg
6082606D-BCCF-4B1C-AF96-7D49EDA7FB21.jpeg

I also took a toothbrush and cleaned up the welt stitching. This is a relatively new thing for me. When my father first showed me how he shined shoes, he had a little jar of edge dressing and he would always blacken the welt so the stitching didn’t show. I think that looks good on a black or very formal shoe. But, I like the lighter color on these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads