1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Yes, you can treat pebble grain as you would "smooth leather".

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Yes, @madhat is correct about Bick 4. It is fine for pebble calf leather, smooth calf and CXL. Just not suede or neubuck.

3. M.Photog

M.Photog Senior Member

Do you still believe they are from the 1920s? If so they are in really great condition, where did you find such a great pair of boots?

4. Dicky Dicardo

Dicky Dicardo Senior Member

Did the trees come with them, or did you find those elsewhere?

5. AHS

AHS Senior Member

@cc808314, I really love this photo. Thanks again for posting.

Is the shoe closest to the viewer (in the right hand corner) the Alden or the Freeman Bootmaker Guild? Maybe it is the angle, but that one looks particularly bulbous.

AHS

6. davidVC

davidVC Senior Member

Its amazing that you found boots that old in wearable condition. They look great.

I could be wrong but it looks like the upper is made from kid leather (young goat). So it should be soft.

7. davidVC

davidVC Senior Member

On my blog, I posted a update some of the shoes I had restored over the past year. I have been wearing them. John McHale, Nettleton and Florsheim. They include a pair that was immersed in water and two that had the Japanese inspired glycerin treatment done on them.

http://vcleat.com/long-term-update/

8. TheHeathen

TheHeathen Well-Known Member

Thank you gentlemen.

My pair of Imperials were on the davidVC watch list (thanks David) and of course they're in excellent shape. I wiped them down and was waiting for the application of Bick 4 to soak in before I even thought about taking any before pictures. I'll definitely post some after pics though.

On a somewhat related note my AE Boulevard's look, and more importantly feel, so much better after 4 applications of the AE lotion. I'm guessing that they were worn once, maybe twice and put away for the last 40ish years. I used my fingers to massage in the lotion and the first 3 applications were absorbed almost instantly. Now, they almost feel like a glove. I might give them a shot of the Bick 4 before I wear them just for good measure.

9. Dicky Dicardo

Dicky Dicardo Senior Member

10. willyto

willyto Well-Known Member

Thank you.

To be honest I'm always a bit wary of the dating from Ebay sellers who are not doing it professionally. It could very well be right though. The detail and stitching lines look so finely made and I can count around 20 stitches per inch. The toe shape also reminds me of the era.

I found them on Ebay. I do a lot of search on Ebay daily.

The trees came from a pair of nubuck cricket boots I bought in London. I have yet to restore those. I'm still kicking myself in the head for not buying two recent pairs of boot trees in my size...

Thank you. I thought they could be kangaroo or kid leather. I had read somewhere that those leathers didn't take much shine and the cap toes are hard to shine. Whatever they are I wish more makers used this kind of leather today, I dislike stiff leather boots made today.

I'll be posting more shoes soon, currently waiting for 3 pairs to dry completely from Glycerin treatment. Also polishing a pair of Dunn & Co brogue black cap toe oxfords as we speak.

11. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

12. M.Photog

M.Photog Senior Member

It seems likely to me that the estimate is good. I am no expert but i would think certainly pre WW2. Wouldn't it be nice if a pair of vintage shoes came with a written history?

13. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

Sounds like you're volunteering to start a website and project :)

14. cc808314

cc808314 Distinguished Member

They are th Aldens. You are right, the angle made them look more bulbous than they are. Still, they have a pretty wide toe box. I will snap some more photos later.

15. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

Just as a follow up, I chased these but they exceeded my max. I capped out at $200. They went for $315. Probably worth it, but without knowing that they would fit correctly, it seemed excessive.