• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Victorinox or Hamilton watch

pkrath84

Reaction score
I'm a 30-year old with a professional degree looking to put pieces together for a new work wardrobe. I like to keep things simple and classic overall with a bit of modern flare here and there to keep it young. Lately I've been looking into watches and so far I've narrowed it down to two watches, the Victorinox Alliance Mechanical and the Hamilton Thinomatic:

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? The Vic retails at $750 but can be had for $480 and the Hamilton retails for $895 but can be had for about $595. I'd like to keep it close to $500, but I'd like to hear whether others with more experience believe the Hamilton is worth the extra money spent in the long run.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
To me, both watches lend themselves more to evening wear...do you not like white or light-faced watches? I think they may be better for workday wear. Feel free to disagree.

guccihomme

Reaction score
I've heard good things about Hamilton and I plan on purchasing Hamilton sometime in the future. Watchseek has reviews and a search shows used in very good condition sold at $415 and $385.

I didn't know Hamilton could be purchased at that price (expected closer to 1K). My next 2 planned purchases are Seiko Monster and Orient Bambino, but now Hamiltiom is at the top of my list. For the price of those 2 watches I can have an ETA movement with reviews of +2 sec/day. It fits the bill of a dressy watch.

Thanks for posting the question! I found info I didn't know, as I mostly looked at Jazzmaster.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Aesthetically there's not much in it, go with your preference.

Reliability / quality wise, I have a sporty Victorinox weekend beater which is a couple of years old and doing fine.I have no personal experience with Hamiltons but I understand that they have a good reputation

Mechanism - If the Victorinox is a wind-up, that might be a deal breaker as I personally couldn't be chewed to remember to wind it up every day.

And to the point above ... Black is a neutral colour that can go with pretty much everything ... Unless your daily wardrobe leans towards a lot of tan/brown/snuff shoes and belts, in which case a black watch and strap might look out of place.

Both are nice looking watches.

a2dan

Reaction score
I have the Hamilton Khaki Field (brown leather strap/black dial) as a daily wear watch, and the Intramatic (black leather strap/silver dial) as a dress watch. I also have a Tag Heuer Carrera Twin-Time, but find myself wearing my Hamiltons way more often. Hamiltons offer quality ETA movements at very attractive price points. Both my watches keep excellent time and have not caused a bit of problem thus far.

I am deciding between a Linjer briefcase and a Hamilton Navy Pioneer watch for my next indulgent purchase right now... I am obviously biased, but I vote for the Hammy.

pkrath84

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

I lean towards the black strap and faces, because I feel that black is easier to match with my wardrobe.

Any other reccomendations for my price point?

I really like the Jazzmasters but for my taste, I'm going to have to hold off on that purchase a little bit longer.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this price point I would really look at the Tissot Visodate Heritage. It is an excellent time piece that can be dressed up or down accordingly. Fantastic watch, also an automatic.

pkrath84

Reaction score
OK, so I just learned about Orient watches and I think I fell in love...

Now I just need to decide, black or white face with a leather strap (pref black)

The white face is growing on me, and I'm thinking it will pair nicely with either a black or brown leather strap. It comes with the bracelet, so I figure I can dress it up and down. Retails for $770, I found it for $333. NOT BAD!

Thoughts?

ncroadwarrior2

Reaction score
Orient watches are great quality and very unique. I own several. They are all in-house automatic movements. I was going yo suggest Orient watches.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Orient Power Reserve Curator and I love it. To me they are the best 100-300 watches there are. However you were talking upwards of 500 and the quality is noticeably better at that price point.

SYQ

Reaction score
Just checked out Orient watches and they seem to have some nice looking options with automatic movements in the $2XX range. What would you say are the biggest quality differences you see in moving up to the $500 range for watch brands?

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just checked out Orient watches and they seem to have some nice looking options with automatic movements in the $2XX range. What would you say are the biggest quality differences you see in moving up to the $500 range for watch brands?

Just to preface this, I own two Orients and I love them both. I think it is really cool they make their own movements in house and they have some timeless designs. However, mine have been off consistently by 15-35 seconds a day and they have not been impervious to scratches on the crystal either. Also, let it be known, most Orient bands (especially the stainless) are brutal quality. This is one area they keep their costs down. With a Tissot or Hamilton you will be getting a sapphire crystal most likely and probably a more accurate movement. 15-30 seconds a day doesn't sound like much, but it does mean you are changing the time every few days... It gets old. For the price though they are absolutely excellent.

ncroadwarrior2

Reaction score
Orient JDM on Hirsch Modena. This watch has a sapphire crystal. Just for reference.
36ef673aca6a1eb80ab1f5981c7584f2.jpg
0545c039e48d5a7d84e2e66d702f8eb4.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads