• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Broark

Reaction score
I'd love for a pair of Chelseas or Roper boots to be represented in a SF GMTO but I would also be interested in some 145 oxfords.
Hoping I didn't size too big on the Hoppers, can't wait for those boots. Telling myself no more shoes until I get those!

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Broark : What size did u get on the Hopper? If u sized up 1/2 from your 2045, you're golden
1f44a-1f3fc.png

Broark

Reaction score
I originally went with an 11.5 but contacted Fok and switched to a 12. I'm a true 12 on a brannock and took and 11.5 in the 2045 Boondockers. I just got those beige calf derbies on the 1035 last in size 12 and they feel a little long so I'm hoping that won't be the case with the Hoppers.

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If ever there's another SF GMTO in the future__ I'd like a pair of Camel hides__ Non-black, preferably Natty ... In Chelsea or Derby ... 'Got enuff SDs, so don't care if if it'll be on flat GYW.

I mentioned [that] to Guy F when we had a short chat @VibergSampleSale. He said they're finishing up the remaining lot of the black camel, then they "might" try testing other colors.

I asked him why only black__ he' wasn't sure why ... might be cuz of the nature of the leather itself or w/e, but he said they'll try ...

I would love a dark bison sleek hunter boot with mini-ripple, but that makes two big assumptions - Bison still done on SD and GMTOs are still on.

ShootThePier

Reaction score
Keep your eyes open, been seeing horse butt on samples. Wouldn't be surprised if we see them on a different last sometime soon. Maybe a Himel/Viberg Engineer collaboration.
All speculation and guessing from surfing the web.

Last edited:

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would love a dark bison sleek hunter boot with mini-ripple, but that makes two big assumptions - Bison still done on SD and GMTOs are still on.

i could get behind a pit tanned bison sleek hunter. should still be on SD as those on .com are.

and since we are talking wish lists,

beige kangaroo on the 1035 with antique brass eyelets and perforated captoe.

and bring back the snuff kudu.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents is that none of the make ups we've seen recently would have been made in those leathers if it were SD construction. It's possible for many leathers to be very tough but not easy to bend or stitch. I think its way too far down the road to say if it were SD I'd buy it. Brett has made it clear why he won't go there anymore and no amount of complaining is going to change it IMHO.
Just because its been done in SD in the past does not mean its going to happen again. I like SD better but it does not stop me for buying it in GYW if I like the make up. I've never had a GYW boot fail me due to extreme use. I've found the leather itself typically fails before anything happens in the SD or GYW areas of my shoes and boots. I understand many like the look of SD better. It's not like Viberg does not make SD anymore
To be honest kangaroo, reindeer and shell are not the hides as my 1st choice I would pick to go do extreme outdoor events. Thats not saying you can't.

In summary: I don't see the point in continuing to look up a dead horses butt when it's not going to ride again!

Steve
Personally without going into conspiracy theories, I think alot of the SD vs. GYW decisions have nothing to do with whether the leather "can handle" the stitchdown construction and more to do with a certain aesthetic desire they are aiming for or some other reason like getting use of heavy capex on GYW machines, which can churn alot more volume.

Regardless I think eventually there will be more stitchdown boots when they start to notice less GYW boots selling. And if that isnt the case they will continue to churn out whatever they want.

Social media is an interesting feedback loop that has never existed for manufacturers and while they can read what people write here and elsewhere, the numbers are what speaks and companies dont strive to make products that people dont buy.

Im not interested in Rudolph if he isnt stitched down. And it has nothing to do with durability, I just dont like the way it looks.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep your eyes open, been seeing horse butt on samples. Wouldn't be surprised if we see them on a different last sometime soon. Maybe a Himel/Viberg Engineer collaboration.
All speculation and guessing from surfing the web.
Those looked more like boots made for friends rather than upcoming choices for customers.

ShootThePier

Reaction score

Those looked more like boots made for friends rather than upcoming choices for customers.

I may have misunderstood, but in subsequent IG posts on Himel's page of those same boots there is mention of Himel marketing those boots in the near future. Again, I may have misunderstood, or it just may be wishful thinking on my part.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have misunderstood, but in subsequent IG posts on Himel's page of those same boots there is mention of Himel marketing those boots in the near future. Again, I may have misunderstood, or it just may be wishful thinking on my part.
Maybe you're right. I didnt see the second derivative of the post. Anything is possible. Im not against it, I would buy those lol

Broark

Reaction score
Even though I have the Hopper on the way I would really think about buying those.
And just looking at one of the posts someone asked if there was a size available, Himel responded saying they would be made in the fall. Better start pinching pennies now!

gte872h

Reaction score

I saw the Himmel bros post a few weeks back as well. My understanding is that there will be a collaboration release later this year. Time will tell.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52