• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VASS: double or single sole?

jdbob

Reaction score
There are tons of posts regarding Vass shoes lately. I'm certainly going to jump on the bandwagon with the next order from tom. It seems like most people are opting for the double sole. I'd never considered this before, I thought the heel was generally a bit high and the sole a bit thick looking. thought the Vass shoe Appreciation thread is starting to sway me.

Please contribute and shed light on why you have chosen either single or double sole. I'm curious to hear arguments both ways.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I went for double, but I prefer the way the chunkier Vass's look.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I generally do a double sole that tapers to a single at the waist. I like how it looks and Vass does a terrific job on them.

This can't be done, however, on models that are stitched aloft, and doesn't look good on loafers.

- B

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I generally do a double sole that tapers to a single at the waist. I like how it looks and Vass does a terrific job on them.
This can't be done, however, on models that are stitched aloft, and doesn't look good on loafers.
- B

- same here, have look at the EXERENT pics I posted of my Vass in the Vass Pron Thread.
- is Tom actually answering emails?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don't own any Vass yet, but have a similar product. most of my shoes have double soles, because i like the look and i prefer my shoes built solid and strong. on a random note: i am on the heavier side, so double soles for the daily routine is more or less a must.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Full double for boots
Double to single for dress shoes
Single for loafers

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
depends on the last/style of the shoe you want.

If I got U last, I'd get single. For F, probably double to single taper. My 2 Budapesters are double and I don't think that is a debatable point.

Montesquieu

Reaction score
I have single on 6 pair of u- and f-last shoes and double on a pair of Budapesters and a pair of chukka boots. I'm short and thin, and I think the double throws the u-last off-balance on a smaller shoe size. When I talked to Eva about my choices, she concurred with this point of view.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I order all of my Vass on HAF, double sole tapered to single around the beveled waist. For Goyser models, HAF is not an option so I just order double sole.

jdbob

Reaction score
i'm really digging all the pics of the shoes with the double sole tapering to single. Very elegant. I just find that the heel looks a bit tall.

Anyone know when tom is organizing another order? I've emailed but no answer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads