• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

llamaone

Reaction score
But no worries, I'm just giving you a hard time. Both your tie and ericgereghty's are great.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That tie is traditionally a wedding tie, not really seasonal at all - but i think the pattern would hide the wrinkles anyway.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on this.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It really is awesome. I definitely need a feeling out period to figure out how to cinch my Vandas. For better or worse, they make a different sort of knot, though I'm not really sure how to explain exactly why that is the case.

Also, being linen, I'm probably trying to baby it just a tad to start things off haha

Honestly, I haven't tied a non-Vanda tie for ages so it's hard to give you a comparison. I think it may be a matter of technique though, as I've never had problems tying knots with our ties. That said, I tie a tie more frequently than most...

I wrote a short post about tying a four in hand, which you may find useful: http://blog.vandafineclothing.com/post/102497515863/one-knot-to-rule-them-all-the-four-in-hand

Most importantly, the dimple should be formed as you tighten the knot in the last step, not after. Absolutely critical to getting a proper knot that stays in place throughout the day.

Just pulled the trigger on this.

:slayer:

kickstand

Reaction score
Agreed on the navy seersucker. Would love to see it return, but I might just buy this olive one too.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I haven't tied a non-Vanda tie for ages so it's hard to give you a comparison. I think it may be a matter of technique though, as I've never had problems tying knots with our ties. That said, I tie a tie more frequently than most...

I wrote a short post about tying a four in hand, which you may find useful: http://blog.vandafineclothing.com/post/102497515863/one-knot-to-rule-them-all-the-four-in-hand

Most importantly, the dimple should be formed as you tighten the knot in the last step, not after. Absolutely critical to getting a proper knot that stays in place throughout the day.
:slayer:

This actually will help. For what it's worth, it was by no means a critique of Vanda, but rather an issue brought up by my inability to knot up properly.

I would venture a guess that, with my Vanda's, I'd been waiting until it was nearly tightened before forming a dimple, which may have compromised its ability to properly form. Though I like to think mine still had an obvious dimple, they are obviously knot (yuk yuk yuk lol) on a level with the gents here.

In any event the half-knots I'd made held consistently with no sign of slipping or adjusting throughout the day...when it's worn for 12+ hours, that's a wonderful sign of quality in my opinion!

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@tgaith77 & @kickstand - Navy seersucker will be dropping together with the olive too, of course :slayer:

This actually will help. For what it's worth, it was by no means a critique of Vanda, but rather an issue brought up by my inability to knot up properly.

I would venture a guess that, with my Vanda's, I'd been waiting until it was nearly tightened before forming a dimple, which may have compromised its ability to properly form. Though I like to think mine still had an obvious dimple, they are obviously knot (yuk yuk yuk lol) on a level with the gents here.

In any event the half-knots I'd made held consistently with no sign of slipping or adjusting throughout the day...when it's worn for 12+ hours, that's a wonderful sign of quality in my opinion!

Give it a go and let us know how it works. Feel free to drop me an email if you need any further tips too

noobedloser

Reaction score
Just made my first order for some ties! Just out of curiousity, I got an email saying my items weren't in stock and were being made then shipped out. Is this common for others or have others experienced this as well? I assumed that these ties were not MTO, correct?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads