1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

US measurement system,i don't get it.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IsteRed, Jul 1, 2011.

1. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

2. Benzito

Benzito Senior member

No offense but i don't get your games,i don't watch football(soccer) as well,but baseball,football is just...i don't get what's going on there,srsly.
    Cuz you don't understand imperial measurements. Get a clue. Edit: Also, it is much more impressive to say you've got 12 inches rather than 35 or 36 centimeters.

3. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

Seriously guys,it's very unconventional and pointless while as metric system is much more better
    for example in US measurement system

1 inch =6/P \t
    1 foot=12 in \t
    1 yard =3 ft
    1 mile= 5280 ft

in metric system

1 km = 1000m
    1 m = 100cm
    1cm = 10mm

much more conventional and easy than Imperial measurement system,why won't US change it?

are you not forgeting
    thou
    rods
    chains
    links...
    and those are just for length

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

Anyone remember this? [​IMG]

I'm fine with binary and hexadecimal system too.

5. Lel

Lel Senior member

I get why people don't understand it. There is literally about 10-15 minutes of on field play in 3 hours.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game but I can see how it's forbidding if you are an outsider. The rules are pretty complex and so is the strategy.

Strategy isn't forbidding, it's the fans really. Loud obnoxious people who rarely have any other activities and don't seem to actually understand the strategy of the game beyond getting really excited or angry at certain plays. This isn't all fans of course, but as much a strategy intrigues me I pretty much am going to have to root for whatever city I'm living in at the moment.

6. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

The only thing that would be better than switching to the metric system would be if we could switch to a base 8 or base 12 numbering system and then use the equivalent of the metric system. Base 10 sucks.
    Base 12 for the win! US measurements make sense if you do fractions as they are base 12 or base 16 (lots of common factors). If I had to do everything metric I'd need a calculator. Fractions I can do in my head easily. Man I HATE decimals. [​IMG] IIRC Japanese builders are dropping metric for "traditional" measurements for the same reasons.

7. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

working in the oil industry in a country which adopted S.I. is fun

kilogram per million standard cubic feet etc

8. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

Think of American football like a chess game between the two coaches. Except the pieces are big and stupid and rarely do as ordered

And the professional "chess pieces" get paid buttloads of US$. [​IMG]

9. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

We can't make up our mind - we largely went metric, but still measure roads in miles and beer in pints. The thought of drinking beer by the 1/2 litre is horrible...

10. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

australia is entirely metric apart from beer which still comes in (uk) pints.

11. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

[​IMG] WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE POINT THIS OUT SOONER!?!? Seriously, though, medicine, most of the sciences, and the like use the metric system here. Generally speaking, however, Imperial measures are pretty entrenched, and people don't like change.
    Doesn't the US armed forces use the metric system to some extent? I'm of the age group when Imperial (SAE for the Americans) and the metric system overlapped. I can measure in both systems, just don't ask me to convert. Personally a base ten measurement system is stupid simple and everyone else on the planet uses metric.

12. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Base 12 for the win! US measurements make sense if you do fractions as they are base 12 or base 16 (lots of common factors). If I had to do everything metric I'd need a calculator. Fractions I can do in my head easily.

Man I HATE decimals. [​IMG]

IIRC Japanese builders are dropping metric for "traditional" measurements for the same reasons.

Could you elaborate on this?

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

We have the Imperial system because we aren't a country full of sissies and faggots. That's why.

[​IMG]

14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

If jumping off that cliff would give me better and more conventional life,why not?

If the quality of your life hinges upon a base ten measurement system or one based off archaic benchmarks...you've got bigger problems.

australia is entirely metric apart from beer which still comes in (uk) pints.

And the oldsters! I also remember hearing Imperial used in the cricket broadcasts. JustinW contends otherwise, however.

15. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

16. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

If the quality of your life hinges upon a base ten measurement system or one based off archaic benchmarks...you've got bigger problems.

And the oldsters! I also remember hearing Imperial used in the cricket broadcasts. JustinW contends otherwise, however.

Ignore what cricket people say, they're boring. (I assume you mean the sport here)
    Base 12 for the win! US measurements make sense if you do fractions as they are base 12 or base 16 (lots of common factors). If I had to do everything metric I'd need a calculator. Fractions I can do in my head easily.

Man I HATE decimals. [​IMG]

IIRC Japanese builders are dropping metric for "traditional" measurements for the same reasons.

2? [​IMG]

17. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

We can't make up our mind - we largely went metric, but still measure roads in miles and beer in pints. The thought of drinking beer by the 1/2 litre is horrible...

Someone I know from the UK was telling me that it's common to express low temperatures in Celsius and high temperatures in Fahrenheit. England is wacky.

18. tropics

tropics Senior member

Someone I know from the UK was telling me that it's common to express low temperatures in Celsius and high temperatures in Fahrenheit. England is wacky.
    Someone is bullshitting you

19. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Someone is bullshitting you

I thought so too but the internet backs him up. I asked because there is an episode of Black Books where they are complaining about the temperature being in the high 80s, which would cause most life on earth to die if it were in Celsius.

20. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

It could be worse... the British still use the 'stone' measurement system [​IMG]