1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

US measurement system,i don't get it.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IsteRed, Jul 1, 2011.

1. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

It could be worse... the British still use the 'stone' measurement system [​IMG]

and using the stone worse than using the pound and yard?

2. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Yes, it is.

When I first heard the stone, I was wondering what kind of stone it is.

3. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

We can't make up our mind - we largely went metric, but still measure roads in miles and beer in pints. The thought of drinking beer by the 1/2 litre is horrible...

Just drink full litres problem solved.

4. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

australia is entirely metric apart from beer which still comes in (uk) pints.

Rubish, only pretentious gits drink pints in Australia.

5. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Cuz you don't understand imperial measurements. Get a clue.

Edit: Also, it is much more impressive to say you've got 12 inches rather than 35 or 36 centimeters.

Hmmm someone can't do maths.

6. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

And the oldsters! I also remember hearing Imperial used in the cricket broadcasts. JustinW contends otherwise, however.

Yes most cricket dimensions are measured in yards, for example the pitch is 22 yards (or 1 chain) long

7. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Could you elaborate on this?
    Sure. When you have to add/subtract dimensions it's easier to use fractions than decimals.

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Baseball I can understand why you don't get what's going on. It's just a bunch of guys standing around doing nothing.
    Actually we brits understand baseball perfectly. Cricket, it's just a bunch of guys standing around doing nothing. Sent from Tapatalk.

9. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

The only thing that would be better than switching to the metric system would be if we could switch to a base 8 or base 12 numbering system and then use the equivalent of the metric system. Base 10 sucks.

+1.

10. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Sure. When you have to add/subtract dimensions it's easier to use fractions than decimals.
    ? 34 7/27" - 6 4/39"= 34 273/918" - 6 108/918 = 28 165/918" 87.02cm - 15.5cm = 72.52cm If you ignore outlandish fractions it may be easier, when you're used to it.

11. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

? 34 7/27" - 6 4/39"= 34 273/918" - 6 108/918 = 28 165/918" 87.02cm - 15.5cm = 72.52cm If you ignore outlandish fractions it may be easier, when you're used to it.
    4ths 8ths 16ths and that's it. No measurement in SAE is 27ths or 39ths Nice try though, you're not from around here are you?

12. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

Seriously guys,it's very unconventional and pointless while as metric system is much more better
    for example in US measurement system

1 inch =6/P \t
    1 foot=12 in \t
    1 yard =3 ft
    1 mile= 5280 ft

in metric system

1 km = 1000m
    1 m = 100cm
    1cm = 10mm

much more conventional and easy than Imperial measurement system,why won't US change it?

Shut your foreign whore mouth!*

Whats a "p"?

13. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

Whats a "p"?
    probably poppyseed if my memory is good. it is some division of barley corn. but he fucked up there are 4 to every every barley corn so that means 1 inch=12 P not 6

14. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I wanted to make a point,not just say "imperial system sucks,metric FTW"

[​IMG]

Such an American answer.

You do know the Empire uses the Imperial system?

The Americans use US Standard. Or whatever the hell it's called. The Americans haven't used Imperial in over 200 years. The same way they haven't spoken English . I guess this is why some people want to force all Americans to learn English and give up American. I think metric will come first.

15. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

4ths 8ths 16ths and that's it. No measurement in SAE is 27ths or 39ths

Nice try though, you're not from around here are you?

But I do live here.

And in your earlier post you spoke off base twelve and sixteen, thus conceivably some high denominators. Anyway, I now deduce that American builders are only 2/3th as accurate as 'metric' ones. 2/Anyway, depending on the figure behind the comma the denominator is always the same for all the fractions: 10, 100, 1000.

16. kasper007

kasper007 Senior member

You do know the Empire uses the Imperial system?

The Americans use US Standard. Or whatever the hell it's called. The Americans haven't used Imperial in over 200 years.

Hate the pussy american pints, UK pints are where it's at

Canada changed to the metric system almost 40 years ago, but because most of what we buy is made for the american market, we often have fucked-up sizing (591 ml bottles, 341ml cans, etc). And products are still mainly labelled on a per pound price at the supermarket (with the per kilo in small), same for construction materials so Canadians have to be well versed in both systems [​IMG]

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

The only thing that would be better than switching to the metric system would be if we could switch to a base 8 or base 12 numbering system and then use the equivalent of the metric system.
    Base 8 or Octal has to be the best, everyone has 8 fingers. Then one's thumbs are free for carries or other 'flags'.
    Base 10 sucks.
    Base 10 also sucks for computers as well. Computers have no problems with Octal. Octal....People are happy. Computers are happy.

18. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

I love the metric system.

but I have no fucking clue as to instantly know what 86kilos weighs, or 200kilometers is how far.

The only stuff I really have a grasp on is temperature in Celsius (but only body temperature ranges) and Millimeters and liters. This is just because of medical measurements that I've been forced to learn over the years.

sure I can do the quick approximate conversion but it still cumbersome and prone to error.

I know what 50lbs feels like instantly... I know how far 5miles is instantly... I know that my car has a 16gallon tank... but to figure that shit out in metric... I'm lazy and clueless...

I'm sure 280,000,000 other americans are kinda in the same boat.

word

19. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

Base 8 or Octal has to be the best, everyone has 8 fingers. Then one's thumbs are free for carries or other 'flags'.

Base 10 also sucks for computers as well. Computers have no problems with Octal.

Octal....People are happy. Computers are happy.

Better yet, use the 4 fingers as 4 bits to to make up a hexadecimal digit - a finger down is a 0 bit, up is a 1. (ordering two beers might be a bit of a problem though)

20. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

Rubish, only pretentious gits drink pints in Australia.

where i live its either pints or mids

you must come from one of those whacky states which has schooners?