1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

US measurement system,i don't get it.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IsteRed, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

No offense but i don't get your games,i don't watch football(soccer) as well,but baseball,football is just...i don't get what's going on there,srsly.

Baseball I can understand why you don't get what's going on. It's just a bunch of guys standing around doing nothing.

American football, is a bunch of guys wearing padding hitting each other while turning their brain to mush by giving each other concussions. What's not to like about that?

2. javyn

javyn Senior member

We have the Imperial system because we aren't a country full of sissies and faggots. That's why.

+1

We decided to keep the measurement system but drop the monarch, rather than vice versa. I say it worked out pretty well for us.

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

+1

We decided to keep the measurement system but drop the monarch, rather than vice versa. I say it worked out pretty well for us.

neo would say otherwise

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

While we are on the subject of the unconventional:
    much more better

5. RSS

RSS Senior member

for example in US measurement system

Techincally I believe it's the Imperial system ... as in British ... not American.

At least money in America is base ten. You should have tried living in England before Decimal Day on 15 February 1971. Prior to decimalisation the pound was divided into 20 shillings, each of 12 (old) pence; thus there were 240 (old) pence to the pound.

Personally I think we use it because it takes a bit of thinking. Who wants something so easy that everyone knows it well.

6. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Baseball I can understand why you don't get what's going on. It's just a bunch of guys standing around doing nothing.

American football, is a bunch of guys wearing padding hitting each other while turning their brain to mush by giving each other concussions. What's not to like about that?

I get why people don't understand it. There is literally about 10-15 minutes of on field play in 3 hours.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game but I can see how it's forbidding if you are an outsider. The rules are pretty complex and so is the strategy.

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Think of American football like a chess game between the two coaches. Except the pieces are big and stupid and rarely do as ordered

8. vaalbara

vaalbara Senior member

because it's a super easy task to switch an entire country of 300 million to a different measuring system, right?

i'm with you on baseball, but football is a thinking man's game.

9. Septavius

Septavius Senior member

Who tells you to have two systems?have one system,metric.Americans.........

If you want to pay to replace all the machinery, tools, street signs, motor vehicles, textbooks, scales, thermometers, gauges, kitchen appliances, fuel pumps, milk jugs, etc in the entire United States that aren't in metric, feel free.

10. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

This vvv

I get why people don't understand it. There is literally about 10-15 minutes of on field play in 3 hours.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game but I can see how it's forbidding if you are an outsider. The rules are pretty complex and so is the strategy.

because it's a super easy task to switch an entire country of 300 million to a different measuring system, right?

Many countries did,in fact only 3 did not.

11. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

A quick word.

It's the British Imperial measurements system you're describing

numbers are different,system is not.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

So? Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you should too.

If everyone else jumped off a cliff would you too?

If everyone else got involved in a big ass war in Europe woul....oh god damn

13. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

If everyone else jumped off a cliff would you too?

If jumping off that cliff would give me better and more conventional life,why not?

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

H-HA! Nevermind, i have nothing. Running outta steam here, serotonin levels nose diving

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

This vvv

Funny thing about football, even though it's the most popular sport in the US, you will still find that maybe 5% of the people watching REALLY understand it. The average person thinks that the game is won by the immense skill of the quarterbacks, receivers, running backs, linebackers, DBS, etc. These things are obviously very important, but the game is really won by the superhuman effort of the guys at the line, and everything else flows from the success or failure of the linemen to control the line of scrimmage.

16. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

Funny thing about football, even though it's the most popular sport in the US, you will still find that maybe 5% of the people watching REALLY understand it. The average person thinks that the game is won by the immense skill of the quarterbacks, receivers, running backs, linebackers, DBS, etc. These things are obviously very important, but the game is really won by the superhuman effort of the guys at the line, and everything else flows from the success or failure of the linemen to control the line of scrimmage.
    I've heard a theory that in the US babies get microchips implanted in them with all those rules,so they can understand it.

17. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

So true. That's why I always watch the line play more than anything else and prefer the Texans to draft o-line with their high draft picks.

18. Hatch&Whisk

Hatch&Whisk Senior member

the imperial system was originally invented as an idiot check for those passing through ellis island. if you cant remember 12:1 then we dont want you shitting up our slums.

thats why america is smartest [​IMG]

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I have no problem with it UNTIL you start getting into some engineering calculations where the base units are important. Heat transfer work, for instance, is horrible in U.S/Imperial. It's just awful. The slug is kinda weird, too, truth be told.

~ H

20. wurm

wurm Senior member

I have no problem with it UNTIL you start getting into some engineering calculations where the base units are important. Heat transfer work, for instance, is horrible in U.S/Imperial. It's just awful. The slug is kinda weird, too, truth be told.

~ H

Isn't all that work done in metric anyway? I mean any time I've been in science we've used metric I'm pretty sure.