• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Untucked shirts are cool?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
You're assuming that everyone posting celebrates x-mas.

Personally, I do most of my posting while sitting in the bathroom.

Looks like you´re spending a lot if time in the bathroom lately...

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater

By the way, Sator, I just want you to know that I find you to be one of the most entertaining posters on the board. cheers.

cheers.gif

Seasons greetings and
cheers.gif
to you too!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Untucked shirts -- particularly striped -- were cool about five to seven years ago. They've been phagocytosed (or assimilated, in the Borg sense) by the AmJacks and are now quite a hackneyed, boring look.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
Untucked shirt on anyone over 12?

Two words:

Galasso

Brothers

Merry Christmas Nonk,

100% agreement

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Looks like you´re spending a lot if time in the bathroom lately...

I only average 3 posts per day - doesn't take too long to post 3 posts...

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a middle aged man that looks young, I am 42 but often people say I look 30. ( my last girlfriend who is now 26 was sure I was 29... and now I am going out with a pretty english girl who is 24
smile.gif
)

I used to wear the shirt untucked 3 years ago, everybody was doing so... But It doesn't feel right to me.

I think also that a well fitted shirt on a slim and fit middle aged man with a flat stomach like me, looks better than a blousy untucked shirt on an overweight young man.

The same thing I feel now about Jeans, the more I see everybody wearing those ugly distressed jeans the more I like and prefer my well fitting tailored trousers ( wool or cotton ) ...

Merry Christmas all !!!

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
I understand that for casual wear, a lot of people consider that tucked-in shirts do not look cool. However, I just cannot stand leaving a shirt untucked. Polos and tee-shirts I normally do not tuck in, and I have a few short-sleeved shirts (which are not very long, by the way) and which I normally leave untucked (I do not like short-sleeved shirts anyway, and once these two or three I still have get worn out, I do not intend to get any new ones; in Spain a lot of people actually use short-sleeved shirts with suit&tie in summer, but that really looks awful, IMO).
Now, leaving long-sleeved shirts untucked just looks to "sloppy" to me; I always tuck them in (also casual button-down shirts). Any thoughts? Any rules?

It shouldn't matter what other people think. It's what YOU feel good about. Don't live by consensus vote...

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404
It shouldn't matter what other people think. It's what YOU feel good about. Don't live by consensus vote...
Actually, I never did...

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Actually, I never did...

Excellent! that's all that matters then =)

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404

Unless they are your boss, you're running for election, you're scuba diving. Then it matters.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tuck. That's what the shirttails are there for.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I am a middle aged man that looks young, I am 42 but often people say I look 30. ( my last girlfriend who is now 26 was sure I was 29... and now I am going out with a pretty english girl who is 24
smile.gif
)

I used to wear the shirt untucked 3 years ago, everybody was doing so... But It doesn't feel right to me.

I think also that a well fitted shirt on a slim and fit middle aged man with a flat stomach like me, looks better than a blousy untucked shirt on an overweight young man.

Mutton dressed as lamb...

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Mutton dressed as lamb...

100% lambswool ( not virgin )
crackup[1].gif

Newton

Reaction score
Since I took to wearing shirts outside of the office I have always tucked them in.

I tuck them in with jeans.

I am in my 20s. I also think they look quite good. The style of the shirt is more casual, the jeans are nice, it's a good belt and good shoes. It's just like tucking the shirt with chinos.

Given that most other young whipper-snappers choose to go untucked I like feeling unique. I'm also recognised amongst my peer group as someone who dresses well.

If you want to climb above lowest-common-denominator style, I would say.. tuck it in!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads