• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniqlo and Jil Sander

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day my wife was sporting this white shirt and I got excited seeing her in it. It was the female version of my favorite shirts [RTW & bespoke considered] - those made by Jil Sander when she at the helm. The collar, bodice, sleeves, and fit were nothing less than iconic.

To my surprised she picked it up at our visit to the SoHo Uniqlo store . . . and I find out that Ms. Sander is now designing for Uniqlo, click here.

Old news, but I am curious and excited.

- M

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up one of their +J cashmere jumpers a few days ago, didn't realise until afterwards that they're designed by Jil Sander. This probably explains why it's so slim, it fits me perfectly. I'll definitely be buying more, of +J and of Uniqlo in general (their Japanese selvedge jeans fit me perfectly too).

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is the "style" more important than the quality?

I can't imagine Uniqlo anything being of quality made.

Uniqlo stuff are usually quite slim anyway, so what additional "design" did Jil Sander bring to the game?

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
So is the "style" more important than the quality?

. . . so what additional "design" did Jil Sander bring to the game?

I don't think the fabric and make will be what Ms. Sander's eponymous lable was.

That said, although her classfication of proportion in design has been described as modern, there are some items that, IMO, can reach the level of being iconic.

- M

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, it was H&M (Hennes & Mauritz) who started that "guest designer" thing. They used the likes of Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney, Victor & Rolf, Roberto Cavalli, Comme des Garcons, Jimmy Choo etc. to design a one-off collection (once the stuff is sold, it's gone). Their latest "guest designer" is Sonia Rykiel.

Other companies have copied that model: Gap has used Stella McCartney (kid"˜s stuff) and Michael Bastian. Uniqlo did use Jil Sander recently. It is very likely, Jil Sander and Uniqlo was a one-off thing and will not be repeated.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
It is very likely, Jil Sander and Uniqlo was a one-off thing and will not be repeated.

QFT [probable] . . . thanks for helping the hype bengal-stripe.
smile.gif

- M

eponymous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
It is very likely, Jil Sander and Uniqlo was a one-off thing and will not be repeated.

It's not just a one-off. There is a spring collection coming out January 14th. I've been pretty impressed with the +J stuff myself, definitely a step up from the typical Uniqlo fare. However, the sizes, at least in the menswear, run quite small. I'm a 44L jacket size and even the XL size blazers were absurdly small on me. I have L size courduroy jacket from Uniqlo that fits me fine.

tig716

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eponymous
It's not just a one-off. There is a spring collection coming out January 14th. I've been pretty impressed with the +J stuff myself, definitely a step up from the typical Uniqlo fare. However, the sizes, at least in the menswear, run quite small. I'm a 44L jacket size and even the XL size blazers were absurdly small on me. I have L size courduroy jacket from Uniqlo that fits me fine.

When I checked the SOHO uniqlo, most of the sizes for +J clothing were sold as Japanese sizes so they usually run one size too small and slightly shorter/slimmer.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
subpar quality, and will not last.

To be expected . . . I am intrigued by the combination of "daily wear and seasonal throwawayable" clothes [Uniqlo] and a designer whose aesthetic can reach the level of iconic RTW.

- M

Mountains

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
The problem with Uniqlo is that the stuff (that I have tried at least, which is a lot) is of subpar quality, and will not last.
Note the difference in price. It's not supposed to the be the same quality, because it's not marketed towards the same demographic. We're comparing apples and oranges here.

Jack2000

Reaction score
I got a +J peak lapel grey flannel blazer. I'm a 40r and the XL fit me perfectly. It's nice--not RLPL nice, but at least j. crew nice.

pingguo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eponymous

Jil Sander Heads Over to Uniqlo

* 3/17/09 at 11:15 AM

Jil Sander "” the woman, not the label "” has signed on to be the creative director of Uniqlo. This might explain why she was spotted at fabric fairs in Paris. The deal marks a return to fashion for Sander, who left her eponymous label in 2004. She'll be overseeing men's and women's clothes for the retailer. Uniqlo will also create a special collection with Sander's very minimal aesthetic.

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/..._to_uniql.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads